• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Van Lady

To wear or not to wear, that is the question. Masks!

Posted (edited)

I’ve been a social pariah all my life for various reasons....in the past drinking too much....ongoing..... dislike authority, smoker. Recently I’ve got the feeling I’m a social pariah because I use cash.....it’s dirty!

I do not want to wear a mask when I go outside my home. I’ll rebel and won’t wear one unless I’m backed into a corner......but I just know I’m going to be more socially ostracised by choosing to take my chances with the virus. 

I’ve got nothing against anyone wearing a mask due to health concerns and I wouldn’t go outside if I was unwell but I will be fucking enraged if I’m forced to wear a mask to be socially acceptable even though I’m not near anyone else much at all. When I say enraged I mean I will possibly smash some stuff in my garage or throw some stones on a beach....if I’m allowed to go to a beach. I realise many people will think I’m selfish but my opinion is if you are wearing a mask you’re protected. Oops no....that’s wrong......if I wear one too that will help to stop transmission of the virus. I’m preparing to be more of a social pariah than I am already.

I’m not too concerned at the moment because I think world supplies are low so unlikely to be compulsory in the foreseeable future. I’m sure scarfs will be encouraged though! I’m not doing that either.....covering my face with a scarf!

Edited by Van Lady

I got this one, which appears to now be £100, it was about £15:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/8026514686

Makes you sound like darth vader and the end bit pops in and out as you breathe which I think is a nice gimmick.  I've not worn it yet but if I never do it might come in handy when I'm sawing up the loft!!  Not sure what to do about goggles, I have some cycling glasses I could use that might help a bit, suppose earplugs would be good too.  Hell, if I'm going to go the whole hog might even get a buttplug!!

I've got a beard like Grizzy Adams so the mask won't do much for me.

Not shaving it, though.

[I think I have a beard for religious reasons.  And perhaps because of mild psychological problems.  That should be enough for our right-on Stazi.]

I went out in a 2-filter respirator today, when I went shopping, to try it out.

Similar to this:

Air-Purifying_Respirator.jpg

I found breathing in OK but breathing out a little harder. It's alright for an hour or so but I'd hate to wear one all day.

A minority of people in my town are now wearing face masks, didn't see any other respirators. Trend-setter, me.

BTW the in-town Tesco even had some spagetti in when I went at 5pm.

I think everything is in stock (didn't check the tinned food) but it occurs to me they are letting so few in at a time, fresh stuff will be going out of date on overstocked shelves soon. The fridges were packed with fresh meat, and no-one was buying it.

7 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I went out in a 2-filter respirator today, when I went shopping, to try it out.

Similar to this:

Air-Purifying_Respirator.jpg

I found breathing in OK but breathing out a little harder. It's alright for an hour or so but I'd hate to wear one all day.

A minority of people in my town are now wearing face masks, didn't see any other respirators. Trend-setter, me.

BTW the in-town Tesco even had some spagetti in when I went at 5pm.

I think everything is in stock (didn't check the tinned food) but it occurs to me they are letting so few in at a time, fresh stuff will be going out of date on overstocked shelves soon. The fridges were packed with fresh meat, and no-one was buying it.

If you can, buy the vacuum packed stuff.  lasts longer and will probably not have been prepared out the back by a worker, but in a factory somewhere further away (so longer transport time, less chance of contamination).

As observed by the Monty Pythons (bastardised): even a fabric scarf is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Speaking of which, wear glasses, preferably goggles too or 'go home'. Your exposed eyes are as vulnerable as your mouth and nose to aerosolised. infections.

Posted (edited)

I've seen now maybe 15-20 people in masks, and some with scarves pulled over their mouths and noses. 

I'm pretty much of the opinion now that this thing, assuming it even exists, is either the world's most pathetic bioweapon, or just a bad cough/flu type thing, and not even all that bad a virus. 

Not worn a mask yet, and not planning on wearing one, I think it's all a bit ridiculous. Fair enough though if you have an existing complaint which could mean catching this virus could kill you.

If only there was a mask which could protect against the idiocy and evil done by our givernments....

Edited by Carl Fimble
Adding the last paragraph

I've seen a few people in the shops with proper respirators on.. i'm not going to, but they can do what they like

It's possible that they might already have a compromised immune system, or someone back at home has - and the endless media fear has got them so worried they feel they have to.

Or they might actually have the virus and doing it to protect me!

Just now, Southmartin said:

I've seen a few people in the shops with proper respirators on.. i'm not going to, but they can do what they like

It's possible that they might already have a compromised immune system, or someone back at home has - and the endless media fear has got them so worried they feel they have to.

Or they are in the trade, se them as dust/paint masks anyway and that is what they already have.

Absolutely will wear one when shopping, 3 hours airborne of aerosolised virus, plus it stops you fiddling with mouth/nose/face. Wear it under a snood/scarf.

41 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

At the end of this video there is an interesting segment about the use of paper towels between cotton sheets as effective homemade masks.

o cotton sheets use old t shirts, everybody has one of those.

Not rocket science to put something together, better than nothing.

2 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

I was considering writing 'I have asthma' on the outside of my mask. But I find it so difficult to walk any distance in one that I probably would keel over in a shop wearing one.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Or they are in the trade, se them as dust/paint masks anyway and that is what they already have.

Absolutely will wear one when shopping, 3 hours airborne of aerosolised virus, plus it stops you fiddling with mouth/nose/face. Wear it under a snood/scarf.

Not rocket science to put something together, better than nothing.

Tip:  for shopping, send a man from the household with a list.  In and out.  No browsing.  I had to do a run this week and car-shop-car-handwash took under 4 minutes.

2 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Tip:  for shopping, send a man from the household with a list.  In and out.  No browsing.  I had to do a run this week and car-shop-car-handwash took under 4 minutes.

Yes, the wife hates shopping so I do it, kept it down to twice in last two weeks and selective where / when I go, crapped out with the main top up shop as just seemed to coincide with local peak panic buying and cleared out shelves in local Sainsbury's.  

There are loads of similar videos on youtube at the moment. Many of them are over-complicated. This is one of the simpler ones but it does require you to have wire and be able to get hepa filters at this time. Not really practical for the majority of people locked down.

But a folded paper towel as a filter, re what that doc said in that Laura Ingraham video I posted above, might be better than nothing.

Logic dictates that masks are only worthwhile when:

1. Got the virus or are coughing/sneezing so a mask will reduce droplets reaching others and surfaces where it can be picked up, reducing the spread of infection.

2. Suitable quality to filter out any droplets that otherwise would breath in, when close to someone with the virus who may or may not be symptomatic but infectious so can't rely on avoiding those coughing or sneezing.

No other practical use and even with a mask you also need a visor or goggles to protect the eyes and gloves to deter picking up and touching face or other things by taking gloves off when back home.

I expect if they want to restrict us further then they'll say only those with masks will be allowed in public, and with the shortages that means many won't be able to go out and there will be a lot of homemade alternatives that offer no real protection just so they can go to the shop. A mask is a lot more visible than a pass so makes sense they use this to restrict us further if they deem it necessary.

41 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

This is one of the simpler ones but it does require you to have wire and be able to get hepa filters at this time

I think if I was inclined to try and make one from household “stuff”,  the first thing I would look at would be cutting up some Henry hoover vacuum bags..  at least they are designed to act as particle filters.  Then perhaps try to make some activated carbon using a pot on the fire place and some bleach.

To be honest though,  with this virus,  unless I was high risk I don’t think I’d bother.

6 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Logic dictates that masks are only worthwhile when:

1. Got the virus or are coughing/sneezing so a mask will reduce droplets reaching others and surfaces where it can be picked up, reducing the spread of infection.

2. Suitable quality to filter out any droplets that otherwise would breath in, when close to someone with the virus who may or may not be symptomatic but infectious so can't rely on avoiding those coughing or sneezing.

No other practical use and even with a mask you also need a visor or goggles to protect the eyes and gloves to deter picking up and touching face or other things by taking gloves off when back home.

I expect if they want to restrict us further then they'll say only those with masks will be allowed in public, and with the shortages that means many won't be able to go out and there will be a lot of homemade alternatives that offer no real protection just so they can go to the shop. A mask is a lot more visible than a pass so makes sense they use this to restrict us further if they deem it necessary.

We can't stop all infections for me it's just about reducing the odds of transmission.

7 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I think if I was inclined to try and make one from household “stuff”,  the first thing I would look at would be cutting up some Henry hoover vacuum bags..  at least they are designed to act as particle filters.  Then perhaps try to make some activated carbon using a pot on the fire place and some bleach.

To be honest though,  with this virus,  unless I was high risk I don’t think I’d bother.

I saw a comment on one youtube video that claimed some vacuum cleaner manufacturers had warned against using their filters because some contain fibre glass particles.

I started wearing a very basic dust mask for gardening tasks two years ago.  At first it was only when I had to trim and cut back a specific shrub that gave off a lot of pollen when handled. I  found it beneficial. I then started to wear a mask when cutting grass when pollen levels were high.

I purchased some better 3M FFP1 masks this year for gardening. I find them much better. I'm slightly asthmatic and I have noticed I am far less breathless when I've finished than I was last year.

I also wear FFP2 masks on the infrequent times enter shops now. I must admit I feel as if I'm a hypochondriac, but what the heck it must give some protection and is safer than not wearing one.

Posted (edited)

Got half face respirator pp3, gvs ellipse model bought for £18 from screwfix months ago,  now unavailable of course. 

Been wearing it in shops,  and gloves,  last few weeks,  had some odd looks but fuck other people. 

Recent run to large Sainsbury's mid morning and there were very very few people wearing masks or gloves...

I bought some corona beers for the lulz 

20200401_123716.jpg

Edited by JFK