• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Go back to work you silly little snowflakes; people are dying

The voices of reason are finally coming out:

Boris Johnson’s key adviser on the coronavirus pandemic has urged the prime minister to find a way of ending the nationwide lockdown, according to a report.

Graham Medley, an expert in the spread of infectious diseases, suggested the government had “painted itself into a corner” by imposing widespread restrictions on movement that he claims may cause more damage than the epidemic itself.

He suggested the potential harm caused by the restrictions included economic damage. “I don’t mean to the economy generally, I mean to the incomes of people who rely on a continuous stream of money and their children, particularly the school closure aspect,” he told The Times.

“There will also be actual harms in terms of mental health, in terms of domestic violence and child abuse, and in terms of food poverty.”

He argued that the UK may still have to reconsider the herd immunity strategy to “allow people to catch the virus in the least deadly way possible”, the newspaper claimed.

This would involve accepting the heightened risk to the elderly rather than harming younger generations with rising unemployment, domestic violence and mental illness, it suggests.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-herd-immunity-lockdown-boris-johnson-graham-medley-a9447021.html

This is why some in government are beginning to think that if the number of deaths is falling by the end of the month and with NHS capacity having being significantly increased by the Nightingale hospitals, it might be sensible to start gradually easing off the restrictions to try and allow a return to some kind of normality .

Ultimately, this debate isn’t about lives v the economy.

But lives vs lives. If we become a permanently poorer country, we won’t be able to afford such a good health service and more people will die early because of that.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11325597/government-exit-strategy-save-economy/

Unemployment is skyrocketing, pensions are being smashed, savings are being obliterated and, as you play yet another game of Monopoly, another household-name brand is going to the wall.

Experts say that coronavirus will bankrupt far more people than it kills.

Already we are seeing footage from Italy of desperate families with no food and no money trying to kick their way through a supermarket’s windows.

Online there are swarthy-looking men warning the Prime Minister that he needs to do something, and do it quickly, because otherwise he will not survive.

As they are mostly southern Italians, and that’s the power base of the Mafia, it’s not certain what they mean by “survive”.

The same thing is coming here, be in no doubt.

When farmers can’t pick food because they don’t have the workforce and nobody could afford it even if they did, we are going to have riots.

Governments have already promised trillions in aid. But it’s trillions they do not have.

HEAVY TAXES AHEAD

They will have to borrow the money, and to pay it back, they are going to have to tax the few of us left in work until our eyes pop out.

As each day passes, the situation is getting worse until eventually, someone is going to have to admit that Donald Trump had a point when he said that “the cure cannot be worse than the problem”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11323796/jeremy-clarkson-donald-trump-point/

image.png.bddaabdc42b278e4de9709d08f171a59.png

This virus can be caught over and over again. There is no immunity.

Allowing things to return to normal will just lead to wave after wave of infection and death. There can be no return to mass commuting or millions of people wandering around London etc.

Doesn't start well, that is a whopper right out form the gates.

Least deadly way is knowing what the risks are, having carried out proper testing, having secured proper protection for medics, having done proper assessment of known medicines and best times / ways to apply them.

Of that lot next to fuck all done.

He argued that the UK may still have to reconsider the herd immunity strategy to “allow people to catch the virus in the least deadly way possible”, the newspaper claimed.

13 minutes ago, Errol said:

This virus can be caught over and over again. There is no immunity.

Allowing things to return to normal will just lead to wave after wave of infection and death. There can be no return to mass commuting or millions of people wandering around London etc.

Rubbish.

You are either making that up or believed it from Facebook.

If you have a weakened immune system you can catch anything over and over again.

If you don't then you won't.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, dgul said:

If healthy people are normally fine then really we should be going into lockdown of only those at risk. 

You wouldn't know until it was too late. So you could be carrying the virus unknowingly and give it to your best friend or family member (even if they are young) and they could die.

Everyone is at risk. Spain, Italy and the US have hospitals full of people well under 40 and many well under 30.

Respected Doctors in all nations have specifically stated that everyone - including the healthy - is at risk. That's what makes this virus so dangerous.

Edited by Errol

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

As a random sample look at all the celebs who have had had it.

Otherwise healthy: varying symptoms but recover or are recovering perfectly well.

Or look at the hospitals in Italy, Spain and New York - full with patients in their 30s and 40s. And often younger.

Look at the interviews with the various Doctors - they've made it clear they have loads of young people in very serious condition.

Two British nurses died yesterday - both 30-something. No health issues.

Edited by Errol

3 minutes ago, Errol said:

You wouldn't know until it was too late. So you could be carrying the virus unknowingly and give it to your best friend or family member (even if they are young) and they could die.

Everyone is at risk. Spain, Italy and the US have hospitals full of people well under 40 and many well under 30.

Respected Doctors in all nations have specifically stated that everyone - including the healthy - is at risk. That's what makes this virus so dangerous.

Everyone including the healthy is at risk from flu each year.

These are simply truisms and no basis upon which to run a country.

This isn't anything like the Flu. Quite why people are comparing it to that is beyond me.

The flu doesn't cause the US, Russia, China etc to go into complete lockdown.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I don't pretend to have the answer but I don't think most people really think about the collateral damage of this.

Or maybe the government have and this thing is so bad that the collateral damage is less awful than an increased virus spread.

Edited by JoeDavola

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Doesn't start well, that is a whopper right out form the gates.

Least deadly way is knowing what the risks are, having carried out proper testing, having secured proper protection for medics, having done proper assessment of known medicines and best times / ways to apply them.

Of that lot next to fuck all done.

Not sure why I should  want economic analysis  from an epidemiologist  any more than I would consult an economist about a medical issue ( not that I would particularly trust forecasts from either at the moment). Medley works at the Tropical School of Medicine. From what I can see he is just another modeller whose predictions are probably no likely to be more reliable than anyone else particularly as the raw data seems so poor and inconsistent at the moment. I wonder whether anyone has done an analysis of the long term economic cost of a disease that puts a substantial minority of patients into hospital and where it seems likely that a significant proportion of those who survive may have long term health problems if the evidence of SARS victims is anything to consider. As for the economy being fucked personally think that boat sailed long before the Coronavirus turned up. This is just making its inherent rottenness visible. I suspect it is the latter that has got a lot of wealthy and influential people around the world panicking.

Edited by Virgil Caine

5 minutes ago, Errol said:

Or look at the hospitals in Italy, Spain and New York - full with patients in their 30s and 40s. And often younger.

Look at the interviews with the various Doctors - they've made it clear they have loads of young people in very serious condition.

Flu does the same every year; it just doesn't make the news.

There's a table towards the foot of this that I won't try to paste on my phone but it shows that flu kills people of all ages and not just one or two; though again with that big kick up for older people.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0163445313003733

6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah I don't pretend to have the answer but I don't think most people really think about the collateral damage of this.

Or maybe the government have and this thing is so bad that the collateral damage is less awful than an increased virus spread.

I think it was a necessary short term pause to let the NHS prepare.

They have done so; back to normal.

My garage closed down but plenty stayed open. I had assumed mine would stay open but no they cancelled. In contrast my local tyre fitter was open so they got my business.

I agree with the Devon garden centre owner who has kept his three open against advice because there is little far more spaced out that a garden centre.

We've had the pause and unless there is now a particular reason for keeping something closed then the default should be everything rapidly goes back to normal.

14 minutes ago, Errol said:

In terms of public health and epidemics than frw (medicsl) Drs are respected.

Most are crap, as they operate at a technician level, just following procedures, making pretty crap diagnostics.

To comment in risk n whatnot then you need good data and stats.

This is the problem with healthcare systems - opinion of coal face clinical staff are given weigh to much weighting, with little evidence to back up what are basically hunches.

14 minutes ago, Errol said:

This isn't anything like the Flu. Quite why people are comparing it to that is beyond me.

Here you go

http://www.euromomo.eu/index.html

15 minutes ago, Errol said:

It's exactly like flu, both in who it kills and how it spreads.

People are assuming a lot, but:

- We don't know what long-term impact the virus has - does it leave the young permanently damaged?

- We don't know if you get immunity

- We don't really know how long it incubates for

etc.

27 minutes ago, Errol said:

Young people die all the time. On my last job I worked with a 35 year old woman. She had a headache and went home. A week later she was dead from a brain aneurism. It's fairly common to see marathon runners and footballers die when running marathons and playing football. Maybe we should ban marathons and football?

Two nurses have died? To be frank, so what? The NHS employs over a million people. How many of them die every week? 

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

This is the Biggest April Fool joke I have ever seen, and world "leaders" fell for it.

In New York state they are paying Prisoners $6 an hour to dig mass graves. Would they do this if it was flu?