DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The new UK plan: relax lockdown and go for herd immunity.

Andersen

One percent
10 minutes ago, Andersen said:

You really couldn't make this up. Bullet points for me are "won't someone think about the children" also mentions about destroying the economy and the welfare cost.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/coronavirus-adviser-pm-wants-herd-21811857

I thought we tried that two weeks ago and then realised it was a bad idea. Lions led by donkeys as usual. Idiots. 

• Agree 3

Understandable, the most progressive country in the EU, Sweden is going down this route, so thus we're OK to follow. Plus there's some nice weather coming, and there's no where open to get some plants!

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, 201p said:

Understandable, the most progressive country in the EU, Sweden is going down this route, so thus we're OK to follow. Plus there's some nice weather coming, and there's no where open to get some plants!

I haven't seen any commentary about Sweden from that angle at all in the MSM personally... It's been doom-mongering non stop, pointing and laughing at the stupidity of the Swedes etc.

• Agree 1

well they do have a shiny new 4,000 bed hospital that needs filling.

I think herd immunity was always the plan, but they couldn't go that route without some theatre to show that they tried to contain it first, so the half hearted lock down is to win the public over to the idea that a lock down can't last forever, and few 100k deaths a price most are will be willing to pay.

Give it another month or so, and the public will be demanding that the government end it, if sentiment isn't moving fast enough they will make the lock down even stricter.

sweeten the deal with £ compensation for every CV death, £100,000 for each of 100,000 deaths is "only" £10bn which is cheap given the cost of continuing the lock down.

Edited by snaga
  • Agree 5

54 minutes ago, Andersen said:

You really couldn't make this up. Bullet points for me are "won't someone think about the children" also mentions about destroying the economy and the welfare cost.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/coronavirus-adviser-pm-wants-herd-21811857

Professor Medley said: “We will have done three weeks of this lockdown so there’s a big decision coming up on April 13.

Unlucky for some

Democorruptcy

I think what our lot have done so far, slow to lock down then lock down, works if the intention is to flatten the curve for the NHS over the time frame of a year, not short term. The slow to lock down means we have had more people than necessary catch the disease this spring but that means they either die or come through it. Then we lock down to enable more hospitals to be set up to handle the peak before summer. If we then have a summer lull before it comes back with a vengeance next winter, by then we have already had quite a few died or through it, so with the new hospitals set up we cope better then.

Of course that depends if we have a summer lull and a second wave. Both are not certain.

• Agree 2

One percent
27 minutes ago, Kilham said:

To be fair, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place now. Though it's a problem of their own making over the last 2 months. The best plan, as they say, would be to not start from here.

True. But that’s the job description. Lead the country and sort out messes. If they can’t do that, they need to step aside for those who can. A dosbods cabinet?  :)

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I think what our lot have done so far, slow to lock down then lock down, works if the intention is to flatten the curve for the NHS over the time frame of a year, not short term. The slow to lock down means we have had more people than necessary catch the disease this spring but that means they either die or come through it. Then we lock down to enable more hospitals to be set up to handle the peak before summer. If we then have a summer lull before it comes back with a vengeance next winter, by then we have already had quite a few died or through it, so with the new hospitals set up we cope better then.

Of course that depends if we have a summer lull and a second wave. Both are not certain.

Once all the vulnerable have died the future death rate won't look so bad

Edited by Hopeful
  • Agree 3

I wrote the below in the "Go back to work you silly little snowflakes; people are dying" thread and I stick by it:

"Prof Medley is talking out of his back side, same as Trump and Boris did up until the modelling showed up to 2m dead Americans/250,000 UK ones and they both made an about turn knowing this was a catastrophy.

Back to the UK, we don't have enough evidence/data about anything right now as we are not testing enough. Prof Medley is guessing same as the gov was doing during the early days with the "herd immunity" malarkey.

We are testing LESS than 10,000 people a day and the NHS on its own has 500,000 staff. What that means is that we don't have data to make an informed decision.

Sorry Frank, 2m Americans/250,000 UK citizens don't die annually from the flu. And I very much doubt it would be palatable to have 1K/2K (in the UK) deaths PER DAY for months so that the "bubble everything" can be reinflated."

• Agree 4

Democorruptcy
2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

There's just 2 potential problems.

1) Can people who recover get it again?

2) This is SARS 2 and SARS resulted in lasting lung damage and other general sign of ill health. Do people who got it who weren't vulnerable become vulnerable because they had and are then in trouble if they can get it again (see 1).

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

The present death rate isn't bad. :Old:

They are clearly planning for a lock down step back. These leaks and snippets to the press don't cone out from nowhere. 

I'm watching the thick of it and it's a manual of his government do these things. xD

Bottom line is this. If in s few weeks Sweden's death rate is no worse than anywhere else - it doesn't have to be better - just not the worst - then everyone is going to saying why are all our businesses shut then ? 

The pressure to open back up with be unstoppable. 

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, Democorruptcy said:

There's just 2 potential problems.

1) Can people who recover get it again?

2) This is SARS 2 and SARS resulted in lasting lung damage and other general sign of ill health. Do people who got it who weren't vulnerable become vulnerable because they had and are then in trouble if they can get it again (see 1).

Quite possibly

It could be a bugger

We can't do much about it

Thanks China

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ccc said:

The present death rate isn't bad:Old:

They are clearly planning for a lock down step back. These leaks and snippets to the press don't cone out from nowhere. 

I'm watching the thick of it and it's a manual of his government do these things. xD

Bottom line is this. If in s few weeks Sweden's death rate is no worse than anywhere else - it doesn't have to be better - just not the worst - then everyone is going to saying why are all our businesses shut then ? 

The pressure to open back up with be unstoppable. 

Agree. at the moment

But any death rate from this virus looks bad because everybody who is going to die ends up requiring a ventilator.

Democorruptcy
3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Quite possibly

It could be a bugger

We can't do much about it

Thanks China

Well it's Novel so there's no way of knowing. The hope so far for a summer lull is that Australia is warm and seems to have a low number of deaths. That might be partly because they blocked travel quicker. Though Spain is warmer than us and not done well at all but that could partly be lack of equipment.

I think we are past the point of thinking if you get it early you might have access to equipment, so it's try avoid it, stock up in any summer lull for next winter. Hoping we get a decent antiviral cocktail and then a vaccine.

Well it's Novel so there's no way of knowing. The hope so far for a summer lull is that Australia is warm and seems to have a low number of deaths. That might be partly because they blocked travel quicker. Though Spain is warmer than us and not done well at all but that could partly be lack of equipment.

I think we are past the point of thinking if you get it early you might have access to equipment, so it's try avoid it, stock up in any summer lull for next winter. Hoping we get a decent antiviral cocktail and then a vaccine.

I don't think warm temperatures will have the effect on this bug that people are hoping for

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Have you read the Mirror article? People are demanding total lockdown. We are a nation of infants that are utterly incapable of rational thought. People will demand lockdown until all the supply chains irrevocably break down. Then they'll complain that the power has gone off and that they're starving to death in the dark.

Fuck them all to hell.

not read it, but what they are demanding now isn't the question, it's what they will be demanding in another month or two.

Democorruptcy

I'm not convinced about the death rate not being bad. I definitely don't fancy being on a ward of 10 people knowing on world average so far (79% recover/21% die), 2 of us are going to snuff it and 8 recover. In the UK we seem to not be publishing our own death/recovery rate, so I assume it isn't something we are proud of.

• Agree 1

Thing is even if you do tell people "lockdown is over", a significant percentage won't be going many places for a while i.e. the economy won't magically recover to pre-CV levels.

I certainly won't be hanging around bars pubs or gyms just because the government has told me that I need to get it and build immunity.

Admittedly I wouldn't be on total lockdown either.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 11

15 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Agree. at the moment

But any death rate from this virus looks bad because everybody who is going to die ends up requiring a ventilator.

It's looking more and more each day that many of these deaths are just replacing those that would have happened with flu. 

Could it be a strange twist that the actual flu vaccine is the centre of this so called pandemic :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Spanish kiss each other to greet. That's the key imo. Same for Italy and France. And why close countries like Austria and Germany have far lower deaths. 

The problem with China is they are generally manky fuckers who gob everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Have you read the Mirror article? People are demanding total lockdown. We are a nation of infants that are utterly incapable of rational thought. People will demand lockdown until all the supply chains irrevocably break down. Then they'll complain that the power has gone off and that they're starving to death in the dark.

Fuck them all to hell.

Nah the usual loud shouty minority are. The actual majority have had enough of this imo. Especially the elderly who are most at risk. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

I'm not convinced about the death rate not being bad. I definitely don't fancy being on a ward of 10 people knowing on world average so far (79% recover/21% die), 2 of us are going to snuff it and 8 recover. In the UK we seem to not be publishing our own death/recovery rate, so I assume it isn't something we are proud of.

I think most would agree it's probably been around in the UK since at least January. Many think much longer but that's another debate. 

Even if January ? The death rate so far this year is - if anything - below average. 

If it doesn't shoot up very noticeably in the next few weeks this will be firmly in the mass overreaction area imo. 

• Agree 5

JohnThePessimist
Just now, JoeDavola said:

Thing is even if you do tell people "lockdown is over", a significant percentage won't be going many places for a while i.e. the economy won't magically recover to pre-CV levels.

I agree, a lot of doors have closed that won’t reopen, and disposable income will suffer for a long time to come. If you’re in an industry that depends upon discretionary spending, you’re fucked, even in a best case outcome at this stage.

• Agree 4