• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I had a look around for a suitable car thread for the petrol heads before some of us take the "lockdown no driving" thread completely off topic.

I know we have the car spotting thread, but after a quick search couldn't find anything this specific.

So what do we have out there? Is your car a means to an end, something to get you from A to B? Or is it an object of desire?

Do you drive a jalopy, or is it a major investment that you may even get passionate about?

Prefer the cars of yesteryear, performance cars, throw aways, or do you drive some euro blob because of its safety rating and emissions?

What about the sheds you drove in your youth or may still do? Include any "there but for the grace of god" near misses - the more hilarious the better.

Got a liking for 90's and 00's Jap rally reps and hot hatches but I refuse to pay the current "appreciating future classic investment" bubble prices.

Hoping one good thing to come out of CV19 induced economic arrmagedon is the bubble pops and these cars can go back to being driven and enjoyed by true petrolheads rather than hoarded away as garage queens by investors. 

39 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I had a look around for a suitable car thread for the petrol heads before some of us take the "lockdown no driving" thread completely off topic.

I know we have the car spotting thread, but after a quick search couldn't find anything this specific.

So what do we have out there? Is your car a means to an end, something to get you from A to B? Or is it an object of desire?

Do you drive a jalopy, or is it a major investment that you may even get passionate about?

Prefer the cars of yesteryear, performance cars, throw aways, or do you drive some euro blob because of its safety rating and emissions?

What about the sheds you drove in your youth or may still do? Include any "there but for the grace of god" near misses - the more hilarious the better.

Superb thread. I’ve been accused of being a petrol head in the past. I love a nice car. :)  would forgo all foreign holidays (i do) to be able to own a decent driving machine. 

once ive got the divorce, im going for one of these

https://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/mazda-mx-5-rf/

Happy days. :)

4 minutes ago, Royston said:

Got a liking for 90's and 00's Jap rally reps and hot hatches but I refuse to pay the current "appreciating future classic investment" bubble prices.

Hoping one good thing to come out of CV19 induced economic arrmagedon is the bubble pops and these cars can go back to being driven and enjoyed by true petrolheads rather than hoarded away as garage queens by investors. 

I agree, because of the valuation on my Lancia being so high I can only insure on a restricted mileage basis :(

Better when it was worth the 5.5k I paid for it.

26 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I never discuss cars.

It's always the same with people like you, chauffered around in your Rolls Royce Silver Shadow with the blinds down so you don't need to see the rolling lumps of scrap iron that the proles drive.

Well I have news for you HR.  We have our cars, we like them, and we're keeping them.

Sometimes they will be in front of you and sometimes you will even have to give way to us at junctions.

Capiche?

555ff694-38c9-4d90-970d-ebd31e1e4fda.jpg

8 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I agree, because of the valuation on my Lancia being so high I can only insure on a restricted mileage basis :(

You certainly chose well with that one. Most of my "investments" end up in God's scrapheap.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Subaru Legacy Spec B 3.0.  Mine has a black grille.  Shares many components with the Impreza but not as lary. My main motor is an MX5.  Thinking of getting a Ford Ranger or a Nissan Navara to replace the scooby...

My mechanic had a Navara, not long though, don't think he rated it that much and horrendous mpg.

Edited by onlyme

I have a requirement that I only have cars that make me happy when I drive them.

I've got a few, but they all meet this criterion.

They're not necessarily comfortable to drive, or fast (some are) or even driver-rewarding.

But they all give me a smile on my face, and that's something.

[Eg, I very much like Mercedes (which means pre-2000 or so).  I've got a couple and they both reward driving with being happier.

[I've had some nice cars.  Eg, a very nice Alfa Romeo that really drove very nicely -- but I found that while it was rewarding to drive etc, every drive ended with me being wound up, rather than happier -- so that went]

21 minutes ago, Royston said:

Yes, I had been wanting to hunt around for a suitable classic in recent years, but the prices now are silly for even some of the crappest stuff.

16 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Oooh. What Lancia? My old man had a Beta in the 70's, and I had a normal Delta 1500 in my early 20's. It sadly disintegrated in the time it took for me to park it at work one morning and then attempt to drive it home the same evening.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dgul said:

I have a requirement that I only have cars that make me happy when I drive them.

I've got a few, but they all meet this criterion.

They're not necessarily comfortable to drive, or fast (some are) or even driver-rewarding.

But they all give me a smile on my face, and that's something.

[Eg, I very much like Mercedes (which means pre-2000 or so).  I've got a couple and they both reward driving with being happier.

[I've had some nice cars.  Eg, a very nice Alfa Romeo that really drove very nicely -- but I found that while it was rewarding to drive etc, every drive ended with me being wound up, rather than happier -- so that went]

That’s a shame..I had an Alfa 156 for seven years, and it was a fabulous car.  Out of their current crop, I really like the Giulia.

Edited by Dave Beans