DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

No one can make me like golf

Sugarlips

swiss_democracy_for_all
11 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

That is a splendid young woman to look at, and a decent golfer too, if she lacked the push to travel the country in a caravan to make it on the pro tour and found the easier money online more attractive, who can really blame her? That said, she's probably preferable when not talking very much.

Maybe @Wight Flight's boy could visit her for a few tips...

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

Wight Flight
12 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

That is a splendid young woman to look at, and a decent golfer too, if she lacked the push to travel the country in a caravan to make it on the pro tour and found the easier money online more attractive, who can really blame her? That said, she's probably preferable when not talking very much.

Maybe @Wight Flight's boy could visit her for a few tips...

I am sure it is of no importance but she isn't, and never has been, a decent golfer.

• Lol 2

swiss_democracy_for_all
Just now, Wight Flight said:

I am sure it is of no importance but she isn't, and never has been, a decent golfer.

Oh really? If you say so, I confess I don't follow such things. Don't you have to reach a certain standard to join the pro circuit? Surely Joe Bloggs can't join and just make an arse of himself in every tournament?

Wight Flight
Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Oh really? If you say so, I confess I don't follow such things. Don't you have to reach a certain standard to join the pro circuit? Surely Joe Bloggs can't join and just make an arse of himself in every tournament?

He can. Just won't get very far, or selected for tournaments without an entry fee.

To be a golf pro you need to have a handicap of less than 5. There are thousands of 13 year olds at that standard. 

Standard club pros really aren't very good. The difference between them and someone that can actually make money competing is chalk and cheese.

From what I can see, this lady's career prize money is less than $10k.

That is a hobby.

• Agree 2

swiss_democracy_for_all
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

He can. Just won't get very far, or selected for tournaments without an entry fee.

To be a golf pro you need to have a handicap of less than 5. There are thousands of 13 year olds at that standard. 

Standard club pros really aren't very good. The difference between them and someone that can actually make money competing is chalk and cheese.

From what I can see, this lady's career prize money is less than $10k.

That is a hobby.

Ah, thanks, well there you go, I learned something. Wouldn't have thought it possible, would have expected a minimum scratch or better handicap as being required, in the same way that there are qualification times in athletics and the like.  I suppose it gives a determined person with a campervan the possibility of trekking round tournaments and slowly getting better.

Wight Flight
40 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Ah, thanks, well there you go, I learned something. Wouldn't have thought it possible, would have expected a minimum scratch or better handicap as being required, in the same way that there are qualification times in athletics and the like.  I suppose it gives a determined person with a campervan the possibility of trekking round tournaments and slowly getting better.

Sadly scratch won't get you very far. If you aren't regularly shooting mid sixties you won't be competitive. The odd high round doesn't matter but you have to be able to shoot low ones. Someone regularly scoring 72 won't make as much as someone that gets lots of 75s with the occasional 63.

There is quite a funny book called 'Bring me the head of Sergio Garcia' that describes a gut trying to do just that.

But to get on the proper tour, you need to do 'Q' school to get your card. Without that you are just competing in local events picking up a moderate prize here and there.

Q school costs about £25-£30k per year. 

I am not not looking forward to that

• 1 month later...
On 05/04/2020 at 17:40, Wight Flight said:

Sadly scratch won't get you very far. If you aren't regularly shooting mid sixties you won't be competitive. The odd high round doesn't matter but you have to be able to shoot low ones. Someone regularly scoring 72 won't make as much as someone that gets lots of 75s with the occasional 63.

There is quite a funny book called 'Bring me the head of Sergio Garcia' that describes a gut trying to do just that.

But to get on the proper tour, you need to do 'Q' school to get your card. Without that you are just competing in local events picking up a moderate prize here and there.

You sound like you know your golf. Is it true you could be say ranked number 1999 in the world and still be a millionaire?

Wight Flight
26 minutes ago, gibbon said:

You sound like you know your golf. Is it true you could be say ranked number 1999 in the world and still be a millionaire?

In theory yes. You just need one big win. Everyone has a low round in them. Even I have shot par once. You just have to have that low round on the right day. The better you are, the better the odds of that happening.

Unless you are female and then you really need to be top 10 to make money.

Ps I don't really know golf as I don't actually follow the professional game very much. But I do know the route to get there.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
16 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Walking around a field hitting little balls with sticks.

A sad old man's pastime. Or that of a budding social climber.

The most boring shit imaginable. Worse than the bore-fest that is Grand Prix racing.

I cannot put into words just how much I hate golf. 

My son plays Rugby. He's not very good at it, but I'd prefer the worst Rugby player on this planet to be the fruit of my loins than the best golfer in the world...

XYY

Just for you - the Isle of Wight's only functioning golf range :)

IMG_0110.JPG

• Lol 1

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

But hasn't Boris just allowed you lot to play your daft game again....?

Fucking favouritism - us scum still can't play football...!

;)

XYY

Could you ever play football?

• Lol 1

Wight Flight
4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

:)

Not really. So I played in goal.

I represented the school "B" team, and we finished bottom of the East Durham Schools' League in 1980.

Our record was:

Played Won Drawn Lost  For Against Points
     8         0        0         8      7        48          0

Ironically our best result was against our own "A" team who had been relegated to the "B" league the season before, where we only lost 3-1.

I got promoted to the "A" team after that match, but it wasn't the same as those boring bastards took it seriously - whereas us "B" team lads knew were shite and just played because we loved it and took the piss.

I was back on the "B" team after three appearances...

;)

XYY

Well at least you have put your significant failures out of your mind.

Edited by Wight Flight
  • Lol 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2020 at 21:37, The XYY Man said:

I was better at Rugby - Union of course not that YORKSHIRE shite - but never actually understood the rules.

Wear lower body covering.

• 7 months later...

For any golfers on here - if you are watching the PGA Genesis Invitational keep an eye out for a young lad from England playing as an amateur  - Angus Flanagan.

He might surprise a few people.

6 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Tiger Woods has gone and spazzed himself.

Tiger Woods in hospital with 'multiple leg injuries' after car crash in California

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/23/tiger-woods-car-crash-injured-hospital-golf-california

He was already touch and go after yet another back op. Doubt he'll play again. Undoubtedly the GOAT.

• 4 weeks later...
Wight Flight

On the off chance that anyone here does like golf, look out for GolfClubGuy on youtube.

Very, very funny. Rumour is that he is a real pro, and everyone on the circuit wants to know who he is, but not been worked out so far.

Theboltonfury
On 05/04/2020 at 17:40, Wight Flight said:

I’m a keen golfer. Hcp index 1.4. 

I agree with you. A club pro and a journeyman tour pro are probably 6/7 shots different each round on average. 

I read that book. It was a bit shit because the guy was off 5 IIRC and that’s like being a decent Saturday amateur footballer and then trying to play for a Championship side. 

Wight Flight
6 minutes ago, Theboltonfury said:

I’m a keen golfer. Hcp index 1.4. 

I agree with you. A club pro and a journeyman tour pro are probably 6/7 shots different each round on average. 

I read that book. It was a bit shit because the guy was off 5 IIRC and that’s like being a decent Saturday amateur footballer and then trying to play for a Championship side. 

A very stressful handicap!

But very respectable for anyone that doesn't have 20 hours a week spare.

Theboltonfury
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

A very stressful handicap!

But very respectable for anyone that doesn't have 20 hours a week spare.

I’ll be happy to shoot 81 when I’m allowed back in 8 days. Haven’t hit a ball since mid Dec. 

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, Theboltonfury said:

I’ll be happy to shoot 81 when I’m allowed back in 8 days. Haven’t hit a ball since mid Dec. 

I'm always happy with an 81 :)