• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

Electric skateboards.

So there's a silly rule that means electric bicycles are limited to 15mph and a maximum power output of 250 watts, an extra 5mph would have made all the difference as it'd mean most places I visit (within 23miles) would be an hour or so away. So for now I can't justify the expense of one, however...

Electric skateboards, good ones that cost about £1k (1/3rd cost of a good electric bike) are fairly stealthy, can reach upwards of 30mph and have a range of almost 20miles. What's not to like? Tell me this isn't the future. I'm seriously tempted at a twenty mile round trip gets me to the next town and back or between train stations.

Slick-Revolution-Flex-E-2.0-Maple-Rough-Stuff-Wheels-Electric-Skateboard-3.jpg

Slick-Revolution-Flex-E-2.0-Maple-Rough-Stuff-Wheels-Electric-Skateboard-8.jpg

Slick-Revolution-Flex-E-2.0-Maple-Rough-Stuff-Wheels-Electric-Skateboard-6.jpg

Slick-Revolution-Flex-E-2.0-Maple-Rough-Stuff-Wheels-Electric-Skateboard.jpg

Condition of roads / paths with small wheels going at any speed going to come a cropper a few times.

Most E-Bikes can be tweaked, just get one that can be and good for 20mph (plus a lot more if really want to) and unlucky to get tapped for it. Some good s/h deals around if price is a major stumbling block.

5 hours ago, onlyme said:

Condition of roads / paths with small wheels going at any speed going to come a cropper a few times.

I'd agree with that. Unless the route is smooth new tarmac, then any long journey would become very tiring very quickly I reckon. 

I think it is all about right.

Ordinary people on ordinary bikes manage about 10mph on the flat.  Ordinary fit people trying hard can sustain 15mph fairly safely.  Sure, athletes riding bikes can easily do 25mph on the flat, but they're outliers.  It makes sense to me to limit bikes to about 15mph if you don't start mandating minimum standards of bike safety gear (brakes, lights, etc) and rider gear (protective clothing).  

Of course, bicycles with the required mandated gear for bike and rider do exist -- they're called mopeds (gear appropriate for up to 30mph) and motorcycles (gear appropriate for 60mph+).

I'd be happy to do the same analysis for electric skateboards -- which would probably result in a 'safe maximum speed' of about 8mph.

I'm of the opinion that 'electric mobility vehicles' should be allowed on pavements, with a speed cut-off of about the speed of an ordinary fit person running, or perhaps about 6-7mph.

Got a folding e-bike recently with 16" wheels. With the condition of our roads and pavements I'm not at all bothered with the fact it's limited to 15 mph. I normally cruise around at 12 mph and I feel this is the sweet spot for safety when dealing with road conditions, my reaction times and survivalbility if I come off. Bombing around at 30mph on a skateboard with tiny wheels on our roads/pavements you'll be dead in a week.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, onlyme said:

Most E-Bikes can be tweaked, just get one that can be and good for 20mph (plus a lot more if really want to) and unlucky to get tapped for it. Some good s/h deals around if price is a major stumbling block.

Agreed, an ebike that is sold in the US and Switzerland(where electric assistance is allowed up to 45km/h)  as well will often just have had the wick turned down to make it legal for the EU/UK. Make sure you buy the right model, then turning the wick back up is probably doable.  (But don’t hit a pedestrian, or you’ll definitely be liable)

An electric skateboard that does 30mph will soon be banned and anyway will put most middle-aged men in the hospital in short order. 

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thombleached said:

Depends when the last time you were on a board!

If it was more than ten years ago, forget it - you'll be in hospital within the week :Old:

Until last year I had never ridden on a skateboard... my daughter wanted one for her birthday present and a squabbling sibling meant we've ended up with two. Of course with children in tow, I can relive my childhood as a middle aging man without the neighbours batting an eyelid and can quite comfortably cruise and steer at upto 20mph, the only fly in the ointment is that I don't know how to stop yet!!! Regenerative braking would do the job however... I'm reluctant to spend £3-5k on an electric mountain bike that has a hard limit of 15mph as that is what I'm capable of under my own steam and once there the assistance stops leaving me to peddle an overweight bicycle. 

The deristricted bikes either trick the electronics into thinking they're going half as fast (something to do with the wheel circumference/sensors) so the readings are all out and the dongles appear to fry the circuit boards/motors. Both will void the warranty.

@swiss_democracy_for_all that's useful to know Switzerland have the 45km/h bikes. In theory I could access one of these and ride it home ;) (train and tarmac).

20200406_100921.jpg

Edited by longtomsilver

I fancy a de-restricted e-bike (or just a very powerful one like the Stealth b52) capable of 50mph... and even though I'm a bit of speed freak in general and was a keen skateboardist in my youth the thought of doing 30mph on a skateboard is pretty terrifying!

12 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Until last year I had never ridden on a skateboard... my daughter wanted one for her birthday present and a squabbling sibling meant we've ended up with two. Of course with children in tow, I can relive my childhood as a middle aging man without the neighbours batting an eyelid and can quite comfortably cruise and steer at upto 20mph, the only fly in the ointment is that I don't know how to stop yet!!! Regenerative braking would do the job however... I'm reluctant to spend £3-5k on an electric mountain bike that has a hard limit of 15mph as that is what I'm capable of under my own steam and once there the assistance stops leaving me to peddle an overweight bicycle. 

The deristricted bikes either trick the electronics into thinking they're going half as fast (something to do with the wheel circumference/sensors) so the readings are all out and the dongles appear to fry the circuit boards/motors. Both will void the warranty.

@swiss_democracy_for_all that's useful to know Switzerland have the 45km/h bikes. In theory I could access one of these and ride it home ;) (train and tarmac).

20200406_100921.jpg

There are one or two frontaliers in the Pays de Gex who supposedly have a bike that has a well-hidden switch for 25km/h assistance and 45km/h assistance to help them evade police questions on the EU side of the border, sorry don’t know further details of which bike or whether it was added after sale though I could possibly find out.

Like I said earlier though, I imagine in a serious accident scenario it would get spotted. Plod might not have the brains or means to test bikes on a roadside stop but in an accident it would get taken away and checked. 

24 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Until last year I had never ridden on a skateboard... my daughter wanted one for her birthday present and a squabbling sibling meant we've ended up with two. Of course with children in tow, I can relive my childhood as a middle aging man without the neighbours batting an eyelid and can quite comfortably cruise and steer at upto 20mph, the only fly in the ointment is that I don't know how to stop yet!!!

Tail-scrape (like a proper 80's kid), 180 slide (like a pro), or walk/jump off it (like a 90's kid)

Although I'm guessing an electric board just has a control stick to stop....Any of the above at 30mph would probably land you in A&E

55 minutes ago, Royston said:

I fancy a de-restricted e-bike (or just a very powerful one like the Stealth b52) capable of 50mph... and even though I'm a bit of speed freak in general and was a keen skateboardist in my youth the thought of doing 30mph on a skateboard is pretty terrifying!

It's not doing 30mph that terrifies me it'd be the sudden stop at that speed... I'd imagine you could end up flying! 

This one is the gold standard of speed pedelecs and it tops out at 28mph and required a CBT (I have a full bike licence) and they are sold legally in the UK with all the paperwork to be registered. 

https://www.wired.com/2017/07/review-stromer-st1-x/

1 hour ago, longtomsilver said:

. I'm reluctant to spend £3-5k on an electric mountain bike that has a hard limit of 15mph as that is what I'm capable of under my own steam and once there the assistance stops leaving me to peddle an overweight bicycle. 

There's some bargains out there if you look, 2019 Haibike, just over £1k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haibike-sduro-electric-bike/114175243023?hash=item1a955ff30f:g:9uMAAOSwq-JeivqX

Got 2 electric scooters yesterday. These are surplus stock from the Lime company, who operate scooter rentals in Austin and San Antonio. They were 400 dollars from an outfit in California. 

The branding on the stem was initially covered up with some horrible metal covers,  so those came off. I will use some tape here. The scooters have the extended range battery. They don't fold, but that makes them more sturdy. Top speed about 15 mph. 

Also have built in lights.

Screenshot_20200428-075543.jpg

I can remember going down quite a steep hill on a skateboard in my youth. Rather than risk joining the busy road at the bottom of the hill, I decided to bail out but was travelling faster than my legs could run and I ended up face-planting tarmac

Not an e-skateboard, but have a look at this nutter.