DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Corona good deeds

sarahbell

I never really know what to think about a story like this. At face value it's good they are helping out. However at the same time I cant help thinking it's pure propaganda/ taqiyya.

I even find the name "Muslims for Britain" disconcerting. It's like being Muslim and British is mutually incompatible. 

Popuplights
2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

. It's like being Muslim and British is mutually incompatible

That's because it is.

I remember some people collecting for Islamic Relief interviewed on tv a couple of years ago. In amongst their chat was this giveaway '...people giving to their own kind...'

unregistered_guest

Let's put this in perspective: 1200 meals - 7 hospitals - 7 days.

Works out at fewer than 25 meals per hospital per day.

Not an awful lot.

It's a welcome gesture, I'm sure - but it's not even the tip of the iceberg when compared with the magnitude of the task.

It would be interesting to see Muslims for Britain's stance on the Ahmadiyya and also the Baha'i. Particularly as they appear very keen to work alongside Jewish and Christian groups. Unfortunately, I can't find much of substance on their official website. 

As a political pressure group keen to extol the virtues of Brexit, they appear to have far more in common with Gerard Batten than they have with the likes of Sadiq Khan. If they continue down that route, I fear that Iftikhar Awan will suffer a similar fate to that of Asad Shah. I genuinely hope I'm wrong. 

Covid19 and life to go
31 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Let's put this in perspective: 1200 meals - 7 hospitals - 7 days.

Works out at fewer than 25 meals per hospital per day.

Not an awful lot.

It's a welcome gesture, I'm sure - but it's not even the tip of the iceberg when compared with the magnitude of the task.

It would be interesting to see Muslims for Britain's stance on the Ahmadiyya and also the Baha'i. Particularly as they appear very keen to work alongside Jewish and Christian groups. Unfortunately, I can't find much of substance on their official website. 

As a political pressure group keen to extol the virtues of Brexit, they appear to have far more in common with Gerard Batten than they have with the likes of Sadiq Khan. If they continue down that route, I fear that Iftikhar Awan will suffer a similar fate to that of Asad Shah. I genuinely hope I'm wrong. 

Can't be bothered to watch the 24 seconds of it I did again but didn't it also say 50 odd volunteers?

It's taking 2 people to cook 1 meal in a dayO.o

Glad it's posted though it's reminded me I've got some balti chicken marinating in the fridge.

Edit bad maths... 7 meals a day... 2 people. Still naff.

Edit 2... Still more than what I'm doing though I guess... Apart from the propaganda side fair play too them.

I'm not a muslim but I did volunteer locally.  Only problem is we can't find anyone in need given we're hardy folk.  Having to hunt people down atm and get others to inform on them.  Gawd help the first bugger we find - going to get smothered.

PS:  Presumably no point us calling the So-Called BBC!

unregistered_guest
4 minutes ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

It's taking 2 people to cook 1 meal in a dayO.o

50 volunteers would sound about right if you want to do something on that scale without everyone burning out.

Four volunteers cook a batch of six meals each. Two volunteers collect and distribute the meals. One volunteer co-ordinates the purchase and distribution of ingredients. Have additional volunteers ready to stand in to give a team member a rest. 

Multiply that by seven, and Ahmad's your uncle...

I  want to say 'Good for them -- well done'.

But it isn't clear that that's the problem.  I'd have thought that hospitals already have catering facilities, and they're generally not that busy at the moment apart from certain wards and ICU (as they've stopped non essential/emergency hospitalisation).

You might imagine that there'd be a need to supply food to the vulnerable -- but it also isn't clear that conventional hot meal supply (meals-on-wheels) isn't working at the moment* -- so their efforts would be a duplication if they went down that route.  

I'd suggest that their efforts might be best spent by volunteering to help with the conventional efforts (ie, meals on wheels) both during and after this outbreak.

All that said -- at least they're trying to help, which is pretty much 'good enough in itself' (particularly given that most peoples' efforts to help equal zero).

[* it might not be -- my interactions with meals-on-wheels is that a decent %age of volunteers will be in the 'at risk' group, and so they might be struggling to get help]

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'd have thought that hospitals already have catering facilities, and they're generally not that busy at the moment apart from certain wards and ICU (as they've stopped non essential/emergency hospitalisation).

From a recent Tesco email: 

"Yesterday we confirmed that we’re the retail partner of SalutetheNHS.org which will provide one million free meal parcels to frontline NHS workers. We’ll donate all the food and ingredients used in the production of these food parcels.

Also yesterday, we began work on our first dedicated NHS Nightingale Hospital pop-up store, at the NEC in Birmingham. We’ll provide NHS staff with on-site 24-hour access to the food and household products they need. Construction at the NEC started on Sunday and we aim to be open by the end of next week – so it’s all hands on deck. We’re in late-stage discussions with other Nightingale sites, and hope that this is the first of several pop-up Tesco stores that will help the NHS staff in those hospitals".

Democorruptcy
14 minutes ago, Harley said:

From a recent Tesco email: 

"Yesterday we confirmed that we’re the retail partner of SalutetheNHS.org which will provide one million free meal parcels to frontline NHS workers. We’ll donate all the food and ingredients used in the production of these food parcels.

Also yesterday, we began work on our first dedicated NHS Nightingale Hospital pop-up store, at the NEC in Birmingham. We’ll provide NHS staff with on-site 24-hour access to the food and household products they need. Construction at the NEC started on Sunday and we aim to be open by the end of next week – so it’s all hands on deck. We’re in late-stage discussions with other Nightingale sites, and hope that this is the first of several pop-up Tesco stores that will help the NHS staff in those hospitals".

Pop up stores to help. Shrewd move by supermarkets to help NHS staff. They are still working so can afford to pay. Plus the governbankment has just written off £13.4bn of "debt" so the NHS itself has plenty of money now to be able to overpay for stuff.

Good luck to the front line workers but I don't trust Tesco to help anyone but themselves. 

unregistered_guest
7 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Pop up stores to help. Shrewd move by supermarkets to help NHS staff.

Again, a million free meals sounds brilliant, and I'm sure it will go a long way to help some people.

But how many staff does the NHS employ?

15 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Again, a million free meals sounds brilliant, and I'm sure it will go a long way to help some people.

But how many staff does the NHS employ?

1.4M

27 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Pop up stores to help. Shrewd move by supermarkets to help NHS staff. They are still working so can afford to pay. Plus the governbankment has just written off £13.4bn of "debt" so the NHS itself has plenty of money now to be able to overpay for stuff.

Good luck to the front line workers but I don't trust Tesco to help anyone but themselves. 

Oh, and 10% bonus and 15% off food for staff.  Good.

The worrying thing is they also say they are amassing a list of vulnerable people so probably will do a Sainsbury's - no home delivery for anyone else.

Democorruptcy
13 minutes ago, Harley said:

Oh, and 10% bonus and 15% off food for staff.  Good.

The worrying thing is they also say they are amassing a list of vulnerable people so probably will do a Sainsbury's - no home delivery for anyone else.

If you don't work for the NHS or be "lucky" enough to have a vulnerable friend or family member who will no doubt be using their status to feed others they know that are not on the list, the drawbridge is closing on avoiding supermarket killing fields. I managed to book a home delivery well ahead for next week but regret not doing an earlier one now, chances are it will get cancelled. 

• 4 weeks later...
unregistered_guest

Just thought I'd revisit this thread and Muslims4Britain's twitter feed to see how they were doing. There's a post from a couple of weeks ago regarding 1500 meals delivered to the homeless in the same region.

Meanwhile - here's another 'ambitious' project, aiming to deliver a million meals to NHS heroes -https://www.bytesforheroes.com/ - the website doesn't give any indication as to how close they are to their target, but they had positive reviews in the press when they launched...

Archived