Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Furlough fun


Wight Flight

Recommended Posts

Wight Flight

How are you guys that are furloughed surviving?

I am looking forward to having a day off on Good Friday but will be bored as fuck by Monday.

How do you cope with it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
4 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Have a life outside work.

 

sorry to be snippy, but it's true.

Good point.

Something I mean to work on. Now isn't the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome

For the first time in my adult life I can get on with the non-essential essential projects that have been curtailed by not being furloughed.

Edit: There is no justification for justifying type, but on my crapple the above line breaks look beautifully aligned for justifying - I think I’m going into lockdown madness!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

For the first time in my adult life I can get on with the non-essential essential projects that have been curtailed by not being furloughed.

Such as?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome
Just now, Wight Flight said:

Such as?

Finishing off my house. Non-essential for me (happy to dabble at it for decades), essential for my marriage :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Finishing off my house. Non-essential for me (happy to dabble at it for decades), essential for my marriage :-)

That's my problem. As a renter there is nothing to do. And my freezer is almost full so I can't even spend the weekend cooking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Have a life outside work.

 

Alternatively, find some work that you enjoy and don't mind doing, and that you can do independently of 'conventional employment'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome
3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

That's my problem. As a renter there is nothing to do. And my freezer is almost full so I can't even spend the weekend cooking.

Full or empty? Don’t tell me you brought a new chest freezer for the corapocalypse and then forgot to stock it up!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Have a life outside work.

sorry to be snippy, but it's true.

I have a brilliant life outside of work... but I can’t do most of it if I’m being asked to stay in my house, or I can’t get access to the materials I need. 

So while your point is valid it doesn’t really apply in this current situation or for people on furlough (unless their life outside of work involves a lot of time in their house). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
5 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Full or empty? Don’t tell me you brought a new chest freezer for the corapocalypse and then forgot to stock it up!

Full. I bought a new upright freezer but have cooked so much already it is pretty much rammed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mowing the lawn

Weeding

Painting

DIY

Learning guitar

 

I'm supposed to be working but it's hard when the weather's so nice and there's still not enough hours in the day :PissedOff:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome
7 minutes ago, gilf said:

I have a brilliant life outside of work... but I can’t do most of it if I’m being asked to stay in my house, or I can’t get access to the materials I need.

That was my problem, I stocked up on dried food months ago, but when the lockdown happened I was scrambling around to get all the materials I needed to keep working for three months.

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Full. I bought a new upright freezer but have cooked so much already it is pretty much rammed.

You could always ship some excess food to me. I’m getting bored of rice and pasta 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Furlough costs ramping up. The alternative would be economic collapse and deskilling , etc though but may have just delayed it tbh. 
 

Edit: our company wasn’t using it but suspect will do because of the difficulty in obtaining childcare problem for a number of staff. Now starting to hit labour shortages too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52209790

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

That's my problem. As a renter there is nothing to do. And my freezer is almost full so I can't even spend the weekend cooking.

My 3 chest freezers were very full

Now all residual space is filled with bags of chopped wild garlic and bags of nettles.

Quite worrying as we approach fishing season

Must eat more of it,

But food consumption has declined to match reduced levels of exercise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

My 3 chest freezers were very full

Now all residual space is filled with bags of chopped wild garlic and bags of nettles.

Quite worrying as we approach fishing season

Must eat more of it,

But food consumption has declined to match reduced levels of exercise.

I'm starting to eat from the freezer to rotate stuff out, plus in the unlikely event of a pwer cut you lose less of the long term tinned and dried stuff.  worth a thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The place is a lot cleaner and tidier, little things just get done when noticed. Been growing a lot of seeds, watering seedlings, digging up the garden in preparation for planting the seedlings etc. Tidied up the junk room a bit to fit an elliptical trainer in, then tidied it up a bit more to put quarantined packages in, then sorted out a load of stuff so that the plastic crates could be used to quarantine shopping in, then tidied up the junk room some more so I can do yoga in there. Using the elliptical trainer. Doing yoga. Doing an online yoga CPD training. Arguing with people on here. Spending a ridiculous amount of time dealing with food shopping (disinfecting perishable food on the way in takes ages, as does trying to get it all in the fridge/freezer). I'm also spending ages trying to find particular things in the fridge/freezer due to keeping it so full*. My husband being home generates a lot more food prep and tidying (seems fair for me to do this since I'm not working and he is).

I'm starting to understand how some retired people claim they still don't have enough hours in the day.

 

* I've got more deliveries booked but Ocado very kindly cancelled all of my in laws' deliveries because they're not quite over 70 (my mother in law would probably be fine but I don't rate my father in law's chances of survival) so I'm a little paranoid that Morrisons are going to follow suit. They also run out of everyday stuff - this week they had no streaky bacon, including lardons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis

Why feel that you have to do anything?

There are now three warm sunny days starting today.

Deck chair or sun lounger in the garden, read a book or doze, and make all that lovely CV19 fighting Vitamin D for free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uptherebels
27 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Why feel that you have to do anything?

There are now three warm sunny days starting today.

Deck chair or sun lounger in the garden, read a book or doze, and make all that lovely CV19 fighting Vitamin D for free.

That's something we've never got the hang of. Been in this house for about ten years, and she has never sat in the garden. I think she's probably only stood in it to hang washing out xD. I've probably sat in the garden twice , for a total time of less than 20 minutes, in that ten years. 

When I was young, my parents, in decent weather, almost lived in the garden. Breakfast, lunch, evening meal, all outside. My dad used to drag the TV out there and construct a cardboard shade, to watch cricket. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Busy as ever working from home. Still don’t seem to have much free time by the time I’ve worked, exercised, and done the housework/cooking. Dunno where the time goes to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis
1 hour ago, Uptherebels said:

That's something we've never got the hang of. Been in this house for about ten years, and she has never sat in the garden. I think she's probably only stood in it to hang washing out xD. I've probably sat in the garden twice , for a total time of less than 20 minutes, in that ten years. 

When I was young, my parents, in decent weather, almost lived in the garden. Breakfast, lunch, evening meal, all outside. My dad used to drag the TV out there and construct a cardboard shade, to watch cricket. 

The key to this is to start.

Put a couple of outdoor chairs and a table out in the garden and the next time it's coffee break and it's sunny then sit outside for twenty minutes. As the chairs are already out you just walk out the back door.

Initially you will feel restive and want to get back inside to check something or do something but sit out the twenty minutes.

After a few times that restiveness disappears and you realise that you actually prefer it to being inside; you're just not used to being outside and not doing very much.

I go through this every year; the big change is when I bring out recliner and sun lounger from the garage to live under one of the gazebos and set out the outdoor chairs and table.  From that point on it is another room with a cracking ambience. It's also entirely private, sheltered from the wind and an excellent sun trap.

I'm similar with swimming in the sea; I take ages to get in the first time but once I've swum then I'm in every week until autumn.

The aim is to make the transition from not doing it to doing it all the time as easy as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

How are you guys that are furloughed surviving?

I am looking forward to having a day off on Good Friday but will be bored as fuck by Monday.

How do you cope with it?

We're just sad acts WF, best not to publicise it. I will work Good Friday and give myself Saturday off so I am giddy this week as l will have a 2 day weekend which is as rare as hen's teeth for me. Normally do 6 days a week, 7 if busy. And take no holidays. It isn't for everyone ;).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JohnThePessimist

Friend’s wife is on furlough. I bumped into him today and she is still working for her firm, from home, and at the taxpayers’ expense! :PissedOff:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...