DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

£500,000

Sugarlips

I decided against a return to the motherland but occasionally like to check what’s on offer around my old stomping ground.

On this occasion i’m glad I’m sitting down, talk about prices detaching from reality.

This would’ve been £20,000 in 1980, £50,000 in 1990 and £100,000 in 2000

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/54514324?search_identifier=e393d2e950ee68c368f30bf64f20f64c

In my currency that’s One Million Dollars

2F15CD6A-8CB3-4B47-9F71-8FB9A2176BB3.jpeg

swiss_democracy_for_all
28 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

I decided against a return to the motherland but occasionally like to check what’s on offer around my old stomping ground.

On this occasion i’m glad I’m sitting down, talk about prices detaching from reality.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/54514324?search_identifier=e393d2e950ee68c368f30bf64f20f64c

2F15CD6A-8CB3-4B47-9F71-8FB9A2176BB3.jpeg

I assumed it must have a view of the beach! :)

Apparently not. Anyway I don’t even remember Bournemouth as being very nice, it always seemed a bit of a seaside dole town to me, though that’s long ago now, has it gone all posh?

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Apparently not. Anyway I don’t even remember Bournemouth as being very nice, it always seemed a bit of a seaside dole town to me, though that’s long ago now, has it gone all posh?

Bits have, Southbourne is alright, a lot better than neighbouring Boscombe but it's still 2 hours from Waterloo or £25k a year as a teacher/shop manager/etc if you stay local so 20x sole or 10x joint if you're lucky enough to both have ok jobs for life, for a standard victorian house that's had a loft conversion, hmm..

6 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

Bits have, Southbourne is alright, a lot better than neighbouring Boscombe but it's still 2 hours from Waterloo or £25k a year as a teacher/shop manager/etc if you stay local so 20x sole or 10x joint if you're lucky enough to both have ok jobs for life, for a standard victorian house that's had a loft conversion, hmm..

If - and a big if - C19 increases 60+ deaths by 6x - 10x then that area is toast.

OAP are no longer moving to the seaside. You are looking a the last lot of OAPs to retire by the sea.

Out n about in Sbourne and Xchurch you see very few people. Sbourne in particular is dead - Ive rarely seen people out n about walking once you get away from the main drag. Just row after of OAPs homes, barely living dead.

The OAPs you do see in Bmouth sprawl are getting older n older.

There is zilch employment bar JPmorgan,

Waves of probate coming.

7 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The wider area Poole -> Bmouth has to be one of the UKS biggest slumifications over th last 30 years.

It suffers from doleys n junkies being relocated PLUS a large nubmer of Lodon slum scum clearance.

The Poole in particular is very bad. Big surprise to me when I went forthe first time. Youve got Dorset hicks being pushed into that end of the county Plus loads of London scum.

Even a useless Northern junky I grew up with ended up in Poole, which, frankly, is all th confirmation i need. Hes in and out of court pages.

31 minutes ago, spygirl said:

The wider area Poole -> Bmouth has to be one of the UKS biggest slumifications over th last 30 years.

It suffers from doleys n junkies being relocated PLUS a large nubmer of Lodon slum scum clearance.

The Poole in particular is very bad. Big surprise to me when I went forthe first time. Youve got Dorset hicks being pushed into that end of the county Plus loads of London scum.

Even a useless Northern junky I grew up with ended up in Poole, which, frankly, is all th confirmation i need. Hes in and out of court pages.

Doesn't this apply to most of the UK now?

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

Doesn't this apply to most of the UK now?

A bit. But not to the extent to how far the Bmouth area is falling.

Befoer c19, I put Bmouht in the 'Whats going to collapse next'

As a town iit bet on tourism and finsec.

The loss of well paying finsec jobs, esp. when compared to the rest of local wages has been pretty extreme.

Theres the Fe collegel known as Bmouth Uni expsnaidn likes nuts. I expect Bmouth Uni to blow up.

13 minutes ago, spygirl said:

A bit. But not to the extent to how far the Bmouth area is falling.

Befoer c19, I put Bmouht in the 'Whats going to collapse next'

As a town iit bet on tourism and finsec.

The loss of well paying finsec jobs, esp. when compared to the rest of local wages has been pretty extreme.

Theres the Fe collegel known as Bmouth Uni expsnaidn likes nuts. I expect Bmouth Uni to blow up.

Bournemouth Uni is mainly foreign students, most appear to be housed in the new Grenfell-clad towers around Asda at Lansdowne.

There is a big school of English in Southbourne, who are generally housed in the spare rooms of the surrounding oap’s spare rooms for pin money.

We are headed for peak season for all of that plus tourism in the coming months, it’s gone and won’t be coming back, I agree Bournemouth Council are going to go broke in no time.

Jamie Dimon has been threatening 1000’s of job cuts post Brexit for several years, if the old Chase Manhattan building bears the brunt of it - and under the cover of Wuflu, it’s the perfect excuse - the monied locals are screwed.

7 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Bournemouth Uni is mainly foreign students, most appear to be housed in the new Grenfell-clad towers around Asda at Lansdowne.

There is a big school of English in Southbourne, who are generally housed in the spare rooms of the surrounding oap’s spare rooms for pin money.

We are headed for peak season for all of that plus tourism in the coming months, it’s gone and won’t be coming back, I agree Bournemouth Council are going to go broke in no time.

Jamie Dimon has been threatening 1000’s of job cuts post Brexit for several years, if the old Chase Manhattan building bears the brunt of it - and under the cover of Wuflu, it’s the perfect excuse - the monied locals are screwed.

Thick, no-speaky-english-chicken-shack-cannabis-farming students.

sancho panza
9 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I remember once coming across a little town called Mablethorpe in Lincolnshire.It just felt like a prison in so many ways,not least in hte number of junkies.

sancho panza
51 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Interesting what might happen to the Chinese support for overpricved English Uni degrees.

I'm at uni at the mo and theyve shut it.

Gonna be a huge amount of people holding off going next academic year ti8ll things settle.

Would be interesting to watch the Uni bubble burst.So many rooms,so recently built in places like Leicester/Coventry/Nottingham

1 minute ago, sancho panza said:

I remember once coming across a little town called Mablethorpe in Lincolnshire.It just felt like a prison in so many ways,not least in hte number of junkies.

I used to stay in a boarding house in Mablethorpe when I was flying offshore from the "heliport" there in the 80s.

It was like the land that time forgot.

The heliport was an old ww2 base, there was a chocolate Labrador sat at the end of the runway with a far away look in his eyes.

Don Coglione
2 hours ago, spygirl said:

I too am shocked at how shit the Bournemouth area has become over the last 30 years. I used to do the odd job down there in the late 80s, it seemed a pretty tidy and affluent place.

On (rare) more recent visits to gigs, all I see is horror.

DownwardSpiral

I first visited Poole a couple of years ago so only have a fairly recent perspective on the place. I was amazed at what a dump it was. Also unimpressed by Bournemouth which was very unappealing. I’ll stick with Wales - if I am going to live in a shithole town then at least I’d have cash left over to enjoy myself.

Popuplights

My Mrs was a geography teacher. They used to do field trips to boscombe to study the area as it was the closest deprived area to the school!!

Green Devil
15 hours ago, spunko said:

Don't look where I live then cos that struck me as fairly good value in comparison! Would probably be 700k here :CryBaby:

Yeah but its Southbourne FFS. Lol

Just over the way in Bognor Regis is another interesting place. I think the only industry there is death. Undertaker on every corner. The few jobs down there are taken on by Eastern Europeans (the ones that work, the others just loiter in the town centre). The work is mostly wiping arses and serving coffees by the look of the place.

5 hours ago, Popuplights said:

My Mrs was a geography teacher. They used to do field trips to boscombe to study the area as it was the closest deprived area to the school!!

To be frank, the western borders of the PooleBmiuth conurbinations are shitholes. Pasty white shitholes, which makes it seem slightly less worse than Boscombe which truly horrendous.

I visit a mate who's based in Poole area. We turned into buswankers, as for whatever its fault, the Poole - Southboune bus makes for great hop n off pub crawls.

Southbourne I like. It's like a little Miami. And is close to hengisbury n christ church harbour, which are great.

Churchchiurch town is a fog of urine.

Boscombe makes boro look good.

Bouthmouth is falling to bits but has sone great houses. Ideally, they need to kick all the half witted, low rent students out and try and Brightonise the town.

They need to move fast as its suffering wave after wave if probate, which is one reason why the shops are dying a death.

12 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

Why would non-arrival of students make the council bust? Surely they collect from the owner of the building or take the building?

50 minutes ago, BWW said:

Why would non-arrival of students make the council bust? Surely they collect from the owner of the building or take the building?

True, I’m not sure about them taking back buildings but it’s going to be tough to get blood out of a stone and rates will be deferred/waived due to the virus.

As with everywhere retail has been on its knees in the conurbation for years and as alluded to by spygirl the number of empty shops is constantly growing, all the major retailers are disappearing. 

Bournemouth & Poole councils have already had to merge in the last couple of years as they couldn’t make the government budget cuts work (large pension liabilities etc)

They rely heavily on grockels, hens & stags and summer students feeding their endless parking machines to balance the books, none of these groups will be coming this year.  More cafes and shops will shut, the locals won’t be earning as much so also won’t spend as much, even their football team looks like getting relegated assuming the season restarts so less dosh generated..

Democorruptcy
On 08/04/2020 at 00:17, Sugarlips said:

The 1980 to 1990 jump is x2.5 then 1990 to 2000 is x2. Applying the exact same multiples from 2000

The £100,000 in 2000 becomes £250,000 in 2010

Then the £250,000 in 2010 becomes £500,000 in 2020.

Money is shit isn't it?

2 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

The 1980 to 1990 jump is x2.5 then 1990 to 2000 is x2. Applying the exact same multiples from 2000

The £100,000 in 2000 becomes £250,000 in 2010

Then the £250,000 in 2010 becomes £500,000 in 2020.

Money is shit isn't it?

Interesting, now can you do it with wages?

im pretty sure it was no more than 2.5 x joint for quite a long time, now it’s 10x?

Archived