DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Non UK Coins

Loki

Can anyone tell me if silver Britannia are the only coin worth buying as a UK resident?  Or are Maples, Eagles, and Kruggerands worth buying?

The only issue I can foresee is VAT and/or CGT, the purity of the metal being equal.

Is gold the same? 

Kruggerands, I don't have a problem with these, as in the old days, that is what was available.

There is no VAT on gold bullion or coins in the UK currently. 

There is CGT on all bullion (so keep your receipts) except Britannia's and Sovereigns which are legal tender.

Some are 99% fine gold (like Canadian Maples), some are an alloy of gold and copper (Sovereigns). It doesn't really make a difference, just know what the prices are between dealers, and you'll should get a good deal with bid/ask. The big ones like Bairds are good and reputable - don't sell to people who knock on your door claiming to be gold buyers.

Don't buy "numismatic" coins, which are like special years or have defects etc. Don't buy the ones that are "proof" or slabbed in plastic which are normally numismatic ones.

There used to be a local bullion dealer in Southampton, since then they have closed up, so I don't invest as before. I'd have to make an appointment and travel up to London if you want to sell.

---

There wasn't much info about bullion on the internet 20 years ago, but my first source of info was from Chards, unfortunately, they have updated their website, so the info is not all on one page.  Happy reading and good luck

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/buying-advice-and-information/a/gold

sleepwello'nights
24 minutes ago, 201p said:

There is CGT on all bullion (so keep your receipts) except Britannia's and Sovereigns which are legal tende

In the first few years of posting on TOS it was mentioned by several posters that there was no CGT payable on bullion if you lost it in a boating accident.:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

In the first few years of posting on TOS it was mentioned by several posters that there was no CGT payable on bullion if you lost it in a boating accident.:ph34r:

I spent all my boat fund on this worthless bullion :(

I remember putting on my best clothes like I was going to some high powered business meeting, and driving 3 hours up to London in my Renault Clio to the dealer. London, the big city! I got up extra early, hit the motorway at 5am following the Sat Nav. Got to Streatham and then I was within the local area of the dealer. By then the traffic was awful, I thought I was going to be clever and beat the traffic. I pulled into a McDonalds for a rest, a breakfast and coffee.

I had made a note of the prices from their website the day before, so I knew roughly what they were going to buy/sell.

I had no idea what to expect. I was young and nervous. Would they take me seriously? Did they want to do business with my small pathetic holding? Maybe they normally deal with people that buy and sell £50K?! 

I found the office, which was some dank industrial building, with a buzzer to allow entry. I wasn't sure it was the right place, all that it said was the company name in small writing. It didn't even say "Gold Bullion Dealer" anywhere. In I went, and the carpet was dirty and smelly, and on the floor was scraps of paper and envelopes. They didn't invest in a cleaner clearly. At the counter a burly man with stubble served me. That's all from what I remember. They have moved to better premises now, with leather sofas, and TV screens etc.

29 minutes ago, 201p said:

I presume most people buy online, and then sell in person?

I've sold the odd mini gold bar on eBay, no problems at all

I don't sell anything on ebay anymore - too many people say it wasn't what they were expecting, or some minor problem with it.

I sold this vintage LCD game one time, and the buyer said the sound wasn't loud enough - it was fine to me, and what do you expect for something that's 25 years old odd! FFS! Too many cretins aka the great unwashed public, that are all talk and won't be good for getting down to business to make smooth transactions.

And then there was some person saying they needed the item next day after winning because they were leaving the country FFS. So reluctantly I paid extra for special delivery to avoid negative feedback. 

Don't deal with the public if you can avoid it! 

Archived