• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Mains water tastes foul

I've been living here for almost a year and about once every 3 months the mains water tastes disgusting. Like it's been sitting in a tank for weeks or if you drink the shower water. But it's coming out the ground...it goes after a few days. Does anyone know why this might be?

I've reported it to the water company but they're useless. 

Not sure if it's relevant but every so often my outdoor drains for the guttering smell of sewage. I put soda crystals down them and it goes. 

Like organic food, I would previously have dismissed ditching tap water as pseudo-science but as with organic food I do think there are benefits to drinking untreated bottled water.

8 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

Chlorine taste or ass taste?

For chlorine try a brita filter jug. Best cup of tea you have ever had!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BRITA-Elemaris-Water-Filter-Cartridge/dp/B001O9ARFO/ref=lp_293663011_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1500921391&sr=1-6

For ass taste... Clean your teeth? xD

Neither. Just tastes like it's out of a hosepipe. 

Did you get the very heavy rains this weekend? Maybe it's coming from an open reservoir that gets muddy after heavy rain.

I've not had this anywhere; I always drink tap water. I buy bottled water to carry the bottles for walking but always throw away the water and wash it out; I'm not drinking water that's been absorbing all the chemicals that leech out of soft plastic over the last however many months.

I highly recommend Brita filter jugs. They may seem expensive at £5 a cartridge, but we put through a lot of water through them and the difference in taste is huge.

Wonder if your mains water distribution system is being flushed on a regular basis - sometimes they do this apparently to prevent build up of sediment.

If there is water discolouration and a period of reduced pressure (as they open all the outgoing stops to increase flow presuambly). then the above may be the culprit. Maybe they regularly have other treatments they add to pipework or water collecting points, treatment plants that are not on a continuous basis, although that would probably result in more of a chemical taste / smell.

Smell from drains would suggest much large water flows in the rest of the sewerage system pushing air back up out of your drains. Or just regular buildup of smell solids which you are clearing with each treatment.

If there's any entrepreneurs out there with deep pockets, I'd go into this market. Brita is German, despite the "Brit" part of the name.

Water quality is only ever going to go down with increasing population and crumbling infrastructure - and demand for better quality drinking water is only ever going to go up.

Edited by 201p

Just now, 201p said:

If there's any entrepreneurs out there with deep pockets, I'd go into this market. Brita is German, despite the "Brit" part of the name.

Water quality is only ever going to go down with increasing population and crumbling infrastructure.

The Betta water filter. :)

45 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I've been living here for almost a year and about once every 3 months the mains water tastes disgusting. Like it's been sitting in a tank for weeks or if you drink the shower water. But it's coming out the ground...it goes after a few days. Does anyone know why this might be?

I've reported it to the water company but they're useless. 

Not sure if it's relevant but every so often my outdoor drains for the guttering smell of sewage. I put soda crystals down them and it goes. 

You're in deepest darkest Kent, yes? Most of the water comes from underground chalk aquifers, is as hard as fuck and taste foul at the best of times.

Unless showering, stick to beer.