• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Going back to work, at place of work - tracker

A lot of places haven't closed and jobs carry on as normal - supermarkets, police, funeral directors, carers, petrol stations, utility workers, NHS.

This thread is to track the re-opening of places that have closed to see how the lockdown unwinds.  Or you can talk about cars, popular music, coffee machines - we are after all in Off Topic.

Lockdown started Monday 23rd March with review after three weeks; this is Thursday 9 April, the third week, and the expectation is that no decision on lifting will be made for one more week.

Starter for ten:

Passport Office 9 April

According to a transcript seen by the So-Called BBC, she said government health guidance did not mean that staff "should stay at home instead of delivering critical services".

"What is also critical for us as a business is to have a manageable level of work in the system, so that when we start our recovery we are not overwhelmed by our demands," she said.

Sources at the Public and Commercial Services Union said up to 2,000 staff would be asked to go back in, with 500 in offices at any one time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219930

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

A lot of places haven't closed and jobs carry on as normal - supermarkets, police, funeral directors, carers, petrol stations, utility workers, NHS.

This thread is to track the re-opening of places that have closed to see how the lockdown unwinds.  Or you can talk about cars, popular music, coffee machines - we are after all in Off Topic.

Lockdown started Monday 23rd March with review after three weeks; this is Thursday 9 April, the third week, and the expectation is that no decision on lifting will be made for one more week.

Starter for ten:

Passport Office 9 April

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219930

Don't encourage that. Isn't this place random enough already? We're in Off-topic/ Coronavirus btw.

The Pandemic thread is now growing faster than Covid-19, to the point where I have to skip forward 5 pages (of mostly inane Pin-esque ramblings) at a time just to keep up.

EDIT to stay vaguely on-topic. I got caught short on one of my exercise rambles yesterday only for it to dawn on me that there are now precisely ZERO public rest stops available in Worthing. Even the town Public Conveniences were locked-up withh a "coronavorus CLOSED" notice on the door. I'll let you know when it's safe to take a shit out of the house.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

I am going back to my office next week and so is my colleague/co-director. Only us in the office anyway so I don't see what difference it makes. And if I catch it, I know who to blame. :D

It will be like Cain, and Abel.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

I am going back to my office next week and so is my colleague/co-director. Only us in the office anyway so I don't see what difference it makes. And if I catch it, I know who to blame. :D

You could have been doing alternate days or weeks from day 1 if you wanted.

That was similar to the original plan at my old office which was 25% of staff in on rota; though managers could be in all the time.  Soical distancing and hand washing taken as read; anybody in a vulnerable group or living with somebody in same doesn't come in.

Which would have been the sensible solution before the government piled in.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

You could have been doing alternate days or weeks from day 1 if you wanted.

I was for a time, but decided working from home was cheaper. I keep getting distracted though and need to go back into full work mode.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

I was for a time, but decided working from home was cheaper. I keep getting distracted though and need to go back into full work mode.

Yes.  Anybody who is enjoying working from home probably isn't doing the working bit.

My ideal week was three days in the office and two days working from home; I tended to do less work on the working from home days but that fired me up to work harder on the days that I was in.

Overall I did more work with 3 office / 2 home than I would have done with 5 office.  The variety defintely helps.  The worst option was 5 home which is what people have now; I'm still in touch with colleagues and deadlines are being missed left right and centre.  It is an incredibly inefficient way of working when you are all working on aspects of the same thing

30 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Google missed a trip for husband on 29th I think. It's normally very good.

Doesn't seem to track me as I don't have mobile data on unless I need it. I'm a tight PAYG dosbodder.

2 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

Doesn't seem to track me as I don't have mobile data on unless I need it. I'm a tight PAYG dosbodder.

He doesn't either and normally it tracks him well. 

On 10/04/2020 at 08:29, Rare Bear said:

Android phone - I have everything turned off other than calls / text cell phone network. Bluetooth, wifi, NFC, mobile data all off, but I have noticed it turns on mobile data and tries to connect to the internet whenever I go near a shop with a google pay facility. From this I would deduce android phones have one of the short range radio communication methods permanently turned on regardless of what the user interface says. Keep meaning to see if the same happens in airplane mode. Only way to stop android connecting to the internet of it's own accord is to set the data limit to zero and even then I'm pretty sure it's sneaking a few MB through via mobile data.

Smart phones are a fantastic gadget and the camera and music player are brilliant but the tracking is absolute cancer and I use mobile internet so rarely that it would be ok to go without. If anyone ever manages to develop a reliable linux smartphone that actually works without the unremovable google drivel apps and sneaky stuff on it I'd pay strong money for it. For the time being might go back to old school mobile and take the SIM out of smartphone and use it as a tablet.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Princess Yachts, major employer in Plymouth and maker of luxury yachts, starting up again with government approval.

One hundred back on Monday to start gearing up for the full 3,000 to restart work.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/princess-yachts-tells-staff-ready-4056159

Yachting is completely verboten at the moment.

I haven't stopped working (building) but it's all been low value added as I haven't been able to get materials. My main trade supplier openned again this week but he's running out of stock. Wickes is taking 24 hours to process orders. It's bad out there.

Just now, whitevanman said:

I haven't stopped working (building) but it's all been low value added as I haven't been able to get materials. My main trade supplier openned again this week but he's running out of stock. Wickes is taking 24 hours to process orders. It's bad out there.

Heard that merchants have just been servicing their main account holders, the running out of stock bit would make sense as they would want to prioritise supply to them. Also heard that a few more merchants were opening up last week, but then what happens about supply?

On of the local construction steel suppliers  is having trouble as running out of stock and no new supply coming in.

I think quite a few trades over the last few weeks have been working less but juggling jobs as/when it makes sense / supply of materials. will hit a wall though at some stage.

7 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Maybe.

Here however is an entirely non-essential business - luxury yachts - being allowed to start up again on Monday for purely economic reasons.

I don't disagree with that because the true purpose of the lockdown was to allow the NHS to get ready, and it's nearly there though they need to sort out the PPE, and with that then it's back to normal unless you're in a vulnerable group or live with same.

I know one other big company which has discreetly re-opened its office, though with limits on numbers, so the return to normal is underway as the "key worker" test for travelling to work has now gone.

I expect council tips to re-open next week and maybe garages; though I know that the latter were not required to close but most have.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I know one other big company which has discreetly re-opened its office, though with limits on numbers, so the return to normal is underway as the "key worker" test for travelling to work has now gone.

There was never a key worker requirement for travel.

The yacht company could have remained open had it wanted to.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

There was never a key worker requirement for travel.

The yacht company could have remained open had it wanted to.

Really?

Certainly the companies I know have behaved in exactly that way, that's what the dot matrix signs by the road say (essential travel only), and that's what people think.

If that's the case, and I'm not disagreeing with you, then this initial trickle is going to rapidly turn into a flood of people returning to their workplaces now that it's being publicised that some companies are open again.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Really?

Certainly the companies I know have behaved in exactly that way, that's what the dot matrix signs by the road say (essential travel only), and that's what people think.

If that's the case, and I'm not disagreeing with you, then this initial trickle is going to rapidly turn into a flood of people returning to their workplaces now that it's being publicised that some companies are open again.

You were allowed to go to work, no matter what that work was, if you weren't able to work from home.

Given that most people can't build a 60' cabin cruiser in their back bedroom, going to work was allowed.

The only thing that did have to close were shops, pubs/restaurants and entertainment venues.

Everything else could have carried on.

The local trades here are doing their best to keep going. On a 10 min journey yesterday I saw scaffolders, builders, arboriculturalists, window cleaner and crane / civil engineering crew. People I've spoken to are being stopped by customers wanting to 'wait until it's over', materials not available and to an extent the police being dicks (they tend to target individuals / small groups but won't go near bigger crews). I can ride it out for years financially and am working on machinery and processes for an opportunity I spotted but psychologically would like to get back making things happen. Most small businesses / sole traders I know personally are going to be financially screwed by this.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

You were allowed to go to work, no matter what that work was, if you weren't able to work from home.

Given that most people can't build a 60' cabin cruiser in their back bedroom, going to work was allowed.

The only thing that did have to close were shops, pubs/restaurants and entertainment venues.

Everything else could have carried on.

Hopefully that's it then.

Though I wouldn't mind another three weeks so that I get my MoT extension.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Hopefully that's it then.

Though I wouldn't mind another three weeks so that I get my MoT extension.

I think your MOT extension is safe.

End of June is what all the signs are pointing to.