• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

MoT extensions - how long will they be dished out?

This came in for MoTs expiring on or after 30 March (if you were 29th and failed - unlucky).

A six month extension to your MoT is given.

However....

This is only given three days (I've read elsewhere seven days but this is straight from the DVSA) before your MoT is due to expire.

What you need to do

Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will only be updated a few days before it was originally due to expire.

1. Three days before your MOT was originally due to expire, check the expiry date has been extended.

2. If the expiry date has not been extended 3 days before it was due to expire, email covid19mot@dvsa.gov.uk.

Mine is in May so either I'm going to be a happy bunny with a free six months MoT or I am going to have about three days' notice to book it in if they suddenly pull it before my MoT runs out.

This is the first actual upside I've found from this lockdown  but there is no guarantee that I'll get it; fingers crossed for garages to remain part of the lockdown until at least two days prior to my MoT expiring.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

Has anybody received an extension so far?  Most probably get it done early in case of problems so numbers will be low.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This came in for MoTs expiring on or after 30 March (if you were 29th and failed - unlucky).

However....

This is only given three days (I've read elsewhere seven days but this is straight from the DVSA) before your MoT is due to expire.

Mine is in May so either I'm going to be a happy bunny with a free six months MoT or I am going to have about three days' notice to book it in if they suddenly pull it before my MoT runs out.

This is the first actual upside I've found from this lockdown  but there is no guarantee that I'll get it; fingers crossed for garages to remain part of the lockdown until at least two days prior to my MoT expiring.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

Has anybody received an extension so far?  Most probably get it done early in case of problems so numbers will be low.

Nice, first no questions asked mortgage holiday and now this.

Every little helps.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

how are garages going to catch up when the extension ends

They will do MOTs first, then if you need serious work doing you will have to wait with the car off the road or buy a new one.

The whole thing will be manna from heaven for the car industry (all sectors) with the added bonus of being able to hike prices skywards,

Yesss.

Edited by Chewing Grass

I seem to remember talk a few years ago of making MOTs necessary only once every two years.  The main complaints were from garages that would lose business.

4 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

how are garages going to catch up when the extension ends

If it's only given for a couple of months then their work in, say, June to September will be unaffected and they can plan ahead for a double volume of testing in October and November.  Maybe MoTs only for those two months.

1 minute ago, whitevanman said:

I wouldn't want to rely that statement. Could leave you in the lurch if they go back on their word. I'm sure they'd be perfectly happy to fine you anyway.

When you've got it you've got it but there is no suggestion that you will necessarily receive it.  Mine's in May so I think I stand a reasonable chance of getting it but if you have July or August expiry I don't think you will.

They could pull it tomorow and then anyone with an MoT expiring on Tuesday has one day to get it booked and MoTed.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If it's only given for a couple of months then their work in, say, June to September will be unaffected and they can plan ahead for a double volume of testing in October and November.  Maybe MoTs only for those two months.

When you've got it you've got it but there is no suggestion that you will necessarily receive it.  Mine's in May so I think I stand a reasonable chance of getting it but if you have July or August expiry I don't think you will.

They could pull it tomorow and then anyone with an MoT expiring on Tuesday has one day to get it booked and MoTed.

Our government have a history of screwing over the motorist, often using laws applied retrospectively.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, highbot said:

I seem to remember talk a few years ago of making MOTs necessary only once every two years.  The main complaints were from garages that would lose business.

I think that's a shit idea, most people are barely able to keep their car roadworthy for one year between MOTs, let alone two. And yes, I know it's 2 years in the EU.

It's not exactly hard to be 95% sure you'll pass the MOT if you've got a brain and actually give a shit, as a roadworthiness check it's actually pretty barebones. 

If you look at the stats it's mostly tyres and bulbs that fail cars. Sorry but if you're incapable of checking those before you take it in, then you're too low IQ to own a car really.

Edited by Boglet

2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Does anyone really think an MOT test will be high on the priorities when (if) this is over?

Im thinking that feeding the populace will be the most pressing issue. 

1 minute ago, Boglet said:

I think that's a shit idea, most people are barely able to keep their car roadworthy for one year between MOTs, let alone two. And yes, I know it's 2 years in the EU.

It's not exactly hard to be 95% sure you'll pass the MOT if you've got a brain and actually give a shit, as a roadworthiness check it's actually pretty barebones. 

The whole thing is a massive waste of time and money. The money could be better spent elsewhere and save many more lives. Deaths due to unroadworthy vehicles are vanishingly rare. Besides, the cops can pull drivers over, fine them and impound their cars if they are not roadworthy. That is if we still had cops and hadn't deligated that role to automated systems.

5 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Our government have a history of screwing over the motorist, often using laws applied retrospectively.

If it ran for six months then they absolutely would do that because they would have to.  Otherwise every car currently on the road would have its MoT falling in the six months 30 Sept - 29 March and the rest of the year the garages would be sat around whistling.  So you get an extra six months added this year but your next year's MoT loses those six months.

If it's only one or two months then they might just leave it as a freebie.

As I said I'm in May so might just get lucky.

6 minutes ago, Boglet said:

If you look at the stats it's mostly tyres and bulbs that fail cars. Sorry but if you're incapable of checking those before you take it in, then you're too low IQ to own a car really.

Well that's me; but not for those reasons.

My routine is that I book an MoT test and full service on the same day and whatever MoT fails are in the first test at the start of the day, usually emissions for one, get fixed during the service and then I get a pass with the retest.

That works fine for me.

This time I had a headlamp bulb out and the front tyres were illegal; as it was only a few weeks to my MoT and service (I usually get it done a month in advance) I didn't bother sorting them as I wasn't using driving in the dark and wasn't planning on doing much driving between then and the service.

As soon as it was cancelled I fitted the headlamp bulb myself and had the tyres replaced somewhere else.

So I can do it; but it's more convenient to get it all done in one go.

35 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

However....

They are not part of the lockdown. They can open if they want to. 

1 minute ago, ccc said:

Correct. But for some odd reason they all seem to have shut. I work with about 70 dealerships and they have all gone off radar.

I will give credit to one - Brayleys group. At least they are paying their bills. The rest appear to have vaporized.

1 minute ago, ccc said:

Yes, however my garage owners took the view that they had to stop ordinary business and are just servicing  / repairing key workers' vehicles at present and cancelled my booking.

I've used them for over twenty years and am very happy with their work and their prices so I don't want to go elsewhere.

I had actually assumed that they would put in a couple of simple changes - plastic shield at the desk as in a Post Office, only one customer in the office at any time - and carry on but it's their call.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, however my garage owners took the view that they had to stop ordinary business and are just servicing  / repairing key workers' vehicles at present and cancelled my booking.

I've used them for over twenty years and am very happy with their work and their prices so I don't want to go elsewhere.

I had actually assumed that they would put in a couple of simple changes - plastic shield at the desk as in a Post Office, only one customer in the office at any time - and carry on but it's their call.

What is it with this fucking key workers thing. Even Sky will now only accept phone calls from these mythical heroes.

It has become the new phrase. Rather than calling lbc  and 'speaking as a black lesbian' they now claim key worker superiority. For driving an empty bloody bus in circles all day.

Those of us at work that aren't key workers are now the villains. I even saw one Facebook twat asking the police to visit the industrial parks to arrest us.

Rant over.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

What is it with this fucking key workers thing. Even Sky will now only accept phone calls from these mythical heroes.

It has become the new phrase. Rather than calling lbc  and 'speaking as a black lesbian' they now claim key worker superiority. For driving an empty bloody bus in circles all day.

Those of us at work that aren't key workers are now the villains. I even saw one Facebook twat asking the police to visit the industrial parks to arrest us.

Rant over.

When they called me to cancel and said about the key workers my mental reaction was "for fucks sake" but I said that was fine and would be back when they reopened.

It seems to be that the deluded halfwits who roam the pages of Facebook and Twitter have now been given all the airwaves and internet to broadcast their half-baked over-emotional drivel.

I have given up on local radio since the lockdown started as the whole thing has become a sort of Blue Peter type programme which treats all of its listeners as children and encourages them to print out a picture of an egg and colour it in to put in their window (yes, ecevn adulst were doing this) and celebrate anyone who happens to work in non-locked down professions.  Bottles of wine for the heros that are binmen was the last one.  Now I have no downer on binmen who do a very useful job but their job hasn't changed.  People in office jobs who now have to work from home, especially if they have kids not allowed in school, are suffering more as their jobs have changed for the worse.

They don't get a clap or a bottle of wine; they just get on with it.

10 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

What is it with this fucking key workers thing.

Basically the lizard overlords have identified a set of people they need to run things, the rest are bullshit jobs and will be culled. If you can telework you are in a bullshit job.