• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
gibbon

Gyms BTFO - Home workouts/Callisthenics

Recommended Posts

Thanks to CV-19 I've had my eyes opened to home workouts/callisthenics, which I always considered inferior to gym workouts for strength/hypertrophy. The DOMS I've been experiencing say otherwise using nothing more than my floor and two bed sheets flung over my door.

I also found the local outdoor gym, admittedly bar the pull up bars/dips station it was shit, I did get talking to another lad. He was in incredible shape better than 99% of most blokes in the gym. Said he only does callisthenics, 6 times a week and been doing it for 5 years and has never been in a gym. Said he did competitive road cycling before he started callisthenics, showed me a picture and he looked like the standard emaciated Bradly Wiggins. Told me to read the book Convict Conditioning which I have done and is a great read. Talk about a fucking eye opener. Maybe we really have been sold a fucking lie about gyms...same as protein shakes/supplements.

If this works out I won't miss the gym at all:

  • am sick of the twats who think they can use two stations at once - I've had multiple arguments in the gym about this with cunts trying to stop me using a bit of kit "sorry mate I'm using that", I don't back down telling them to do one, eventually I reckon it'll kick off (yes I go to a shitty commercial gym but it's close by)
  • benches and gear covered in a sweat because the filthy animals are incapable of using a towel on them. When I started using gyms in another lifetime when they were spit and sawdust places full of meatheads but everyone used one. Now everything is new and shiny but the people in them are pigs.
  • lads who have a piss don't wash their hands and go use the equipment...seems nobody washes their hands anymore.
  • constantly having to unload bars because pricks don't put their weights away
  • waiting around for a bit of kit to become free while some cunt plays around on his phone or chats for 15 mins between sets.
  • worst of all the endless stream of Thots prancing around the place in literally next to nothing and what little they do wear is bright pink or yellow to catch the eye, when all you want to do is concentrate on your workout. Fuck off and have some modesty you slags you're no better than the muscle top wankers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gibbon said:

Thanks to CV-19 I've had my eyes opened to home workouts/callisthenics, which I always considered inferior to gym workouts for strength/hypertrophy. The DOMS I've been experiencing say otherwise using nothing more than my floor and two bed sheets flung over my door.

I also found the local outdoor gym, admittedly bar the pull up bars/dips station it was shit, I did get talking to another lad. He was in incredible shape better than 99% of most blokes in the gym. Said he only does callisthenics, 6 times a week and been doing it for 5 years and has never been in a gym. Said he did competitive road cycling before he started callisthenics, showed me a picture and he looked like the standard emaciated Bradly Wiggins. Told me to read the book Convict Conditioning which I have done and is a great read. Talk about a fucking eye opener. Maybe we really have been sold a fucking lie about gyms...same as protein shakes/supplements.

If this works out I won't miss the gym at all:

  • am sick of the twats who think they can use two stations at once - I've had multiple arguments in the gym about this with cunts trying to stop me using a bit of kit "sorry mate I'm using that", I don't back down telling them to do one, eventually I reckon it'll kick off (yes I go to a shitty commercial gym but it's close by)
  • benches and gear covered in a sweat because the filthy animals are incapable of using a towel on them. When I started using gyms in another lifetime when they were spit and sawdust places full of meatheads but everyone used one. Now everything is new and shiny but the people in them are pigs.
  • lads who have a piss don't wash their hands and go use the equipment...seems nobody washes their hands anymore.
  • constantly having to unload bars because pricks don't put their weights away
  • waiting around for a bit of kit to become free while some cunt plays around on his phone or chats for 15 mins between sets.
  • worst of all the endless stream of Thots prancing around the place in literally next to nothing and what little they do wear is bright pink or yellow to catch the eye, when all you want to do is concentrate on your workout. Fuck off and have some modesty you slags you're no better than the muscle top wankers.

I have found that you need to take the best of all methods of training, which depends on what it is you want to achieve.

As much as I like what the Coach has done for body weight exercising, he tends to "talk his book" (literally) excessively at times which is grating.

I am 43 and much stronger than most (not all) the youngsters I frequent at my gym, based on what one can lift. As far as cardio is concerned I am right up there, with very few able to match as most brahs are one trick ponies.

Yet, even though I can lift as much as any, I am usually half their size. That's because I am not interested in size as much as I am in strength and maintaining muscle and bone density (I am old baby!).

As such my regime has always been a combo, two workouts a day (usually back to back), cycling and then gym (till it hurts), with the latter to include select body weight exercises. When I am cutting (and I have time), it is 3 workouts daily: cycle, gym, cycling with powders as the main source of nutrition (you can't do this for long mind you).

The reason I don't do just body weight is muscle isolation. E.g. I have been trying to strengthen/build my rear delts for some time. Recently I came upon a specialist Technogym machine and have never looked back. Pinpoint accuracy that I have never been able to achieve at home/the shed/the garden. My shoulders are now rounded, properly balanced as before my front delts were excessively pronounced.

Finally, I don't understand why you don't like the "talent" strutting their stuff, for and old timer like me some days it is the only motivating factor (to the chagrin of the wife).

Edited by t_v 🏅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, t_v 🏅 said:

 

As such my regime has always been a combo, two workouts a day (usually back to back), cycling and then gym (till it hurts), with the latter to include select body weight exercises. When I am cutting (and I have time), it is 3 workouts daily: cycle, gym, cycling with powders as they main source of nutrition (you can't do this for long mind you).

 

how long have you been doing that, i mean how do you find the time if you work full time etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Underwhelmed said:

how long have you been doing that, i mean how do you find the time if you work full time etc?

The last two years. It is very difficult indeed, especially in winter and when we don't have childcare but doable.

The trick is to be efficient as fuck. From the time I start dressing for the cycle ride (12 miles strictly in such a scenario) to the time I come back and get into the shower for the gym is 1h.

From pre-gym shower to being back from the gym anything from 1.5 hours to 2 hours depending on workout. I don't count the post gym shower as this would be part of the daily routine anyway.

It is not uncommon to be out of the gym at midnight BTW but it is worth it, if only to humiliate the young posers ("grandad pressed twice as much as I did with one leg, WTF?" is one of my favourite passtimes :)).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I understand where both @gibbon and @t_v 🏅 are coming from - my own experience seems to align more with @gibbon.

I think one of the interesting side effects of the lockdown will be that people see just how many businesses and expenditures in their life are basically un-necessary. I think for the average person wanting to keep fit, gyms are not the best way to do it.

I have managed for the first time ever to not miss a single resistance training workout in 3 weeks (I'm training 3 times a week), simply because I'm being forced to exercise at home.....and it's much more enjoyable and efficient than the gym. But I'm lucky that I have some mats, dumbells, a suspension trainer and pull up bar.

For the vast majority of people, doing pushups with perfect form will probably be a better use of your time than waiting for the bench in a gym. If they get too easy, slap a weighted vest on:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2398129

If you can do push ups, pull ups, and squats with a weighted vest on (add a bit more weight via some dumbells when squatting) with perfect form you'll be stronger and fitter than most people walking about a gym.

A whole lot of the 'fitness' industry is a big scam IMO. Especially the one I fell for a few years back paying £40 a session to exercise with a trainer at a crossfit-type gym. Pay £40 a session for some trainer to pretend to be your mate.

If I had a garage I'd add a good solid pullup bar at least 7 feet off the ground - only downside with current setup is that my doorframe bar isn't high enough for a static hang - I'm 6 foot 2 so it needs to be high up.

Fundamentally for someone like myself who is underweight with crap upper body strength I just need to build up the strength to perform the standard pushing, pulling, and squatting movements with good form. Once I get that built up I could do what @t_v 🏅 is fit enough to be doing, which is look at specific body parts to be targeting for aesthetic purposes,  but I'm years away from being strong enough for that and in the meantime a home workout is a much better solution than the gym.

I'd probably be much better spending the £300 a year I'm spending on a gym membership on some quality protein so I can actually put on some good lean weight. I need to add 20lbs lean mass at least.

 

Edited by JoeDavola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some reasons people go to the gym that are nothing to do with fitness:

Get away from spouse/kids for a bit (without the guilt of doing something less virtuous)

Talk to other people at the gym about their training regime

Look at other people/have other people look at them

Change of scenery - going out and coming back home again is mentally stimulating and creates demarcation

Hand over responsibility of the training to someone else (class teacher, personal trainer etc) so no mental "work" involved

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of the above.  I go to the gym to do things that I could do perfectly well at home (yoga/pilates/static weight work etc).  And because I prefer to do my cardio work inside in the winter and don't want my house full of cardio machines.  Now that's it lockdown and summer I can do my cardio outside (until they stop it) and I just have to do the non-cardio at home.  It's a lot less enjoyable doing it at home and I have to be quite disciplined to deliberately carve out the time to do it, whereas 7pm on Monday night being Yoga Class is much easier to stick to because it's mandated externally.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I prefer to do my cardio work inside in the winter and don't want my house full of cardio machines.

That's a great point - I'd forgotten about that since it's sunny at the moment.

During the wet dark winter months access to professional level cardio machines in a nice air conditioned gym is a great thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

That's a great point - I'd forgotten about that since it's sunny at the moment.

During the wet dark winter months access to professional level cardio machines in a nice air conditioned gym is a great thing.

I also listened to an amazing podcast the other day about how indoor turbo training for cyclists was actually more effective (if done correctly) and raised the VO2 max.  That blew my mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Some reasons people go to the gym that are nothing to do with fitness:

Get away from spouse/kids for a bit (without the guilt of doing something less virtuous)

Talk to other people at the gym about their training regime

Look at other people/have other people look at them

Change of scenery - going out and coming back home again is mentally stimulating and creates demarcation

Hand over responsibility of the training to someone else (class teacher, personal trainer etc) so no mental "work" involved

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of the above.  I go to the gym to do things that I could do perfectly well at home (yoga/pilates/static weight work etc).  And because I prefer to do my cardio work inside in the winter and don't want my house full of cardio machines.  Now that's it lockdown and summer I can do my cardio outside (until they stop it) and I just have to do the non-cardio at home.  It's a lot less enjoyable doing it at home and I have to be quite disciplined to deliberately carve out the time to do it, whereas 7pm on Monday night being Yoga Class is much easier to stick to because it's mandated externally.

Yeah the truth is if you wanna get muscular, only a few pieces of equipment are needed; bench, bar and weights.  The fancy shit/equipment seen at the gym is useless for 90% of people.

Compound movements with a bar, pushing yourself to failure and hitting the same muscle every 72-96 hours is the ugly truth/secret.  I dunno why guys with no muscles go for a breezy workout with high rep isolation movements, and spend most of the time talking.

Kinda reminds you on Mr. T training to fight Rocky.  One is out socializing with some shitty lowball stuff, the other is killing himself in the attic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What's really helped me is actually keeping a diary of my workouts - it's a simple plan I'm following but every week I'm making sure I achieve some form of progressive overload no matter how small - be that adding a rep, upping the weight of a set but dropping from say 8-10 reps down to 5, or maybe changing a set to a drop set where I can manage an single extra rep of a higher weight.

The next thing I need to do is keep weighing myself and be disciplined about eating more if I see that over say 2 weeks my weight hasn't shifted at all in the right direction.

Edited by JoeDavola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

What's really helped me is actually keeping a diary of my workouts - it's a simple plan I'm following but every week I'm making sure I achieve some form of progressive overload no matter how small - be that adding a rep, upping the weight of a set but dropping from say 8-10 reps down to 5, or maybe changing a set to a drop set where I can manage an single extra rep of a higher weight.

The next thing I need to do is keep weighing myself and be disciplined about eating more if I see that over say 2 weeks my weight hasn't shifted at all in the right direction.

I do that too.  It's all slow, like building a house.  1-3 reps increase, or 0.5kg/1kg.  You gotta keep track.  I don't really worry about calories though.  I just keep an eye on protein and supplements.

Eugen Sandow never counted calories, the guy said he just ate when he felt like it with an eye on protein.  Steroids weren't in use in Sandow's time:

Sandow-4-683x1024.jpg

When I follow 'calorie calculators' online, I just end up with the early stages of a spare tyre and start to lose delt/trap definition etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

What's really helped me is actually keeping a diary of my workouts - it's a simple plan I'm following but every week I'm making sure I achieve some form of progressive overload no matter how small - be that adding a rep, upping the weight of a set but dropping from say 8-10 reps down to 5, or maybe changing a set to a drop set where I can manage an single extra rep of a higher weight.

The next thing I need to do is keep weighing myself and be disciplined about eating more if I see that over say 2 weeks my weight hasn't shifted at all in the right direction.

You seem to be doing most of the right stuff except the regimented schedule, it doesn't work (e.g. Monday Push, Wednesday Pull, Friday Legs in perpetuity).

Make sure you have a rolling routine ensuring you don't hit the same muscle (group) as @ElKapitan84 advises less than 72 hours apart. That also allows you flexibility during normal times as your schedule might not allow you to exercise for e.g. x3 Mondays in a row.

I have a rolling 3 day routine that I follow religiously with Day 1 Chest, Day 2 Back, Day 3 Arms and Shoulders. Legs all days depending on cardio load (some days I am simply too sore to do anything legs wise so I listen to my body).

Within the individual days I change the mix every 3-6 months  as your body adapts and you plateau, so what you are doing with varying sets, weights etc should also be extended to the type of exercises you do, so you always keep your body guessing.

Finally, nutrition (for me at least as I am an old fart) is of paramount importance. I used to eat like a pig and although I could lift heavier and heavier I didn't see  any change when I looked in the mirror.

I started paying attention to the quality (and not calorie counting, fucking tedious) of food and low and behold the layer of fat hiding the gains went away.

As I am only starting my annual cutting phase (ready for what I thought would be a holidy in July/August) I have some excess fat but hopefully will be able to shed it by then.

Edited by t_v 🏅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm going back to the gym when it reopens , I'm basically a hermit anyway so don't mind getting out the house to exercise and be semi social. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

From memory, Joe, you've posted roughly what you eat on here, and I reckon you need to add 50% to it to have any chance of putting on weight at 6ft 2. If I ate what you eat, I'd look like a starvation victim within a few weeks. I probably should try it for a fortnight though!

Aye I'm irrationally terrified of gaining the wrong sort of weight, hence my underrating. It's easing up though, gradually - fish, chicken breast, eggs being added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ElKapitan84 said:

When I follow 'calorie calculators' online, I just end up with the early stages of a spare tyre and start to lose delt/trap definition etc.

Yes many young folk fall for the "dirty bulk" meme and just end up fat.

It's important to me that I stay lean so I should probably be shooting 1lb or so of weight gain a month.

Whilst out my walk today I was thinking about this topic and it really hit home how few people walking about actually had low levels of body fat - including those who were obviously in love with themselves, one bloke springs to mind, shaved head beard skin tight athletic top obviously thought he was gods gift but had a big gut on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, t_v 🏅 said:

You seem to be doing most of the right stuff except the regimented schedule, it doesn't work (e.g. Monday Push, Wednesday Pull, Friday Legs in perpetuity).

Make sure you have a rolling routine ensuring you don't hit the same muscle (group) as @ElKapitan84 advises less than 72 hours apart. That also allows you flexibility during normal times as your schedule might not allow you to exercise for e.g. x3 Mondays in a row.

I have a rolling 3 day routine that I follow religiously with Day 1 Chest, Day 2 Back, Day 3 Arms and Shoulders. Legs all days depending on cardio load (some days I am simply too sore to do anything legs wise so I listen to my body).

Within the individual days I change the mix every 3-6 months  as your body adapts and you plateau, so what you are doing with varying sets, weights etc should also be extended to the type of exercises you do, so you always keep your body guessing.

Finally, nutrition (for me at least as I am an old fart) is of paramount importance. I used to eat like a pig and although I could lift heavier and heavier I didn't see  any change when I looked in the mirror.

I started paying attention to the quality (and not calorie counting, fucking tedious) of food and low and behold the layer of fat hiding the gains went away.

As I am only starting my annual cutting phase (ready for what I thought would be a holidy in July/August) I have some excess fat but hopefully will be able to shed it by then.

This is the split that I'm doing, alternating between two workouts:

Workout A: Squats, Bench/Pushups, Pull Ups (Negatives and Incline Pull as I'm not strong enough yet), and an isolation exercise (typically a hammer curl)

Workout B: Squats, standing Dumbell Overhead Press, Pull Ups, Hip Hinge (aka Romanian Deadlift), and an isolation (typically a lateral raise)

Don't wanna make it any more complicated than that at the moment but open to suggestions if you think it's totally flawed. What I like too is that most of these require some sort of engaging the core to stabalize so it feels like more of a full body workout.

I cook all my own food so it's all quality grub - I'm 36 and more and more of my peers are turning into flabby and or bloated middle aged men so I know the importance of quality nutrition to stay lean.

Edited by JoeDavola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Some reasons people go to the gym that are nothing to do with fitness:

Get away from spouse/kids for a bit (without the guilt of doing something less virtuous)

Talk to other people at the gym about their training regime

Look at other people/have other people look at them

Change of scenery - going out and coming back home again is mentally stimulating and creates demarcation

Hand over responsibility of the training to someone else (class teacher, personal trainer etc) so no mental "work" involved

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of the above.  I go to the gym to do things that I could do perfectly well at home (yoga/pilates/static weight work etc).  And because I prefer to do my cardio work inside in the winter and don't want my house full of cardio machines.  Now that's it lockdown and summer I can do my cardio outside (until they stop it) and I just have to do the non-cardio at home.  It's a lot less enjoyable doing it at home and I have to be quite disciplined to deliberately carve out the time to do it, whereas 7pm on Monday night being Yoga Class is much easier to stick to because it's mandated externally.

I have to admit that before I binned off my gym membership I would often drive there on the way home, change, and go for an outdoors run. Then shower there and drive home.

Seems a touch ludricrous, but that way I wouldn't get nagged when coming home to head straight out the door for a run.

Alot of people are in the gym because they don't want to be at home...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Aye I'm irrationally terrified of gaining the wrong sort of weight, hence my underrating. It's easing up though, gradually - fish, chicken breast, eggs being added.

Joe,

Your terror is indeed irrational; you are very (almost dangerously) underweight.

No point being the skinniest corpse in the graveyard; besides, I would wager that a majority of women would prefer you at 85kgs than at 65kgs - lanky streak of piss is never going to cut it, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ponty Mython said:

Joe,

Your terror is indeed irrational; you are very (almost dangerously) underweight.

No point being the skinniest corpse in the graveyard; besides, I would wager that a majority of women would prefer you at 85kgs than at 65kgs - lanky streak of piss is never going to cut it, sorry.

Yeah that's fair enough. Especially since I'm under 65kg anyway....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

This is the split that I'm doing, alternating between two workouts:

Workout A: Squats, Bench/Pushups, Pull Ups (Negatives and Incline Pull as I'm not strong enough yet), and an isolation exercise (typically a hammer curl)

Workout B: Squats, standing Dumbell Overhead Press, Pull Ups, Hip Hinge (aka Romanian Deadlift), and an isolation (typically a lateral raise)

Don't wanna make it any more complicated than that at the moment but open to suggestions if you think it's totally flawed. What I like too is that most of these require some sort of engaging the core to stabalize so it feels like more of a full body workout.

I cook all my own food so it's all quality grub - I'm 36 and more and more of my peers are turning into flabby and or bloated middle aged men so I know the importance of quality nutrition to stay lean.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, however these exercises are not going to increase your mass a lot . For that you need two things: heavy lifting (safely) and protein.

I am not a fan of powders (they give me absolutely horrendous gas, they don't call it the fart powder for nothing) but they bloody work.

The way I see it you have the perfect foundations to start on a lifting binge: naturally slim composition, good nutrition, a solid work ethic and most importantly: motivation.

If you are worried about taking on fat (which you won't) then alternate cardio with lifting sessions. You don't sound fit enough to fit both in one day so do cardio one day, lift the other. That way there is no way in hell you will get any excess fat on you, especially if you are naturally inclined to be slim.

I am not a fan of "professionals" either but DYR and find one that knows what they are doing.  There are not many gooduns but those that are, are worth their weight in protein (see what I did there?). Then tell them exactly what you eat, how you exercise up until now, what are your known tolerances (you will quickly get past these, trust me) and most importantly: what you want to achieve. The gooduns will not just give you one routince and let you on your own devices, they will monitor your progress and adapt things accordingly. There is no need for constant 1 to 1 sessions, just enough to learn good form and then you can proceed on your own, you obviously have the motivation, you don't need a "pro" to be on your side paid to do that for you.

After 6 months to a year you will know your body, pretty much every exercise under the sun, whether it works for you or not and you will be able to adapt things yourself.

I only used a "pro" back in the day for 3 months and then went alone. He gave the best and most sensible advice and I remember everything to this day because it works:

1) Form is everything, it is better to lift less but with good form, rather than do too much too soon and almost certainly get injured. Injury will set you back months during which, with good form, you would be improving.

2) Don't care how much you lift or how much everyone around you lifts, zone in, do your workout, go home.

That's it. The old boy sadly is not with us anymore (too many roids destroyed his liver) but boy was he a biggun.

 

Edited by t_v 🏅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, t_v 🏅 said:

I am not a fan of powders (they give me absolutely horrendous gas, they don't call it the fart powder for nothing) but they bloody work.

Yeah I'm skeptical of shoving a load of poweders out of some factory in me so I'll start by upping the animal protein first. Having no dependents or major outgoings I can afford to blow money on the best wild salmon, organic chicken breast, organic eggs ect.... afaik I eat a reasonable amount of protein but most of it comes from plants which maybe isn't as good for building muscle, and I just wasn't eating enough calories in general although I'm gradually finding more and more ways to up them.

 

30 minutes ago, t_v 🏅 said:

If you are worried about taking on fat (which you won't) then alternate cardio with lifting sessions. You don't sound fit enough to fit both in one day so do cardio one day, lift the other. That way there is no way in hell you will get any excess fat on you, especially if you are naturally inclined to be slim.

I'm definitely not fit enough for that. Three days lifting and a brisk walk every day is enough for now I think - when everything's back to normal I'll start doing proper cardio in the gym again.

  

30 minutes ago, t_v 🏅 said:

I am not a fan of "professionals" either but DYR and find one that knows what they are doing.  There are not many gooduns but those that are, are worth their weight in protein (see what I did there?). Then tell them exactly what you eat, how you exercise up until now, what are your known tolerances (you will quickly get past these, trust me) and most importantly: what you want to achieve. The gooduns will not just give you one routince and let you on your own devices, they will monitor your progress and adapt things accordingly. There is no need for constant 1 to 1 sessions, just enough to learn good form and then you can proceed on your own, you obviously have the motivation, you don't need a "pro" to be on your side paid to do that for you

A few years back I had some sessions with folk where I think I learned a good amount, got my squat and hip-hinge movements down well. Shoulder press also.

I don't think I need or want to live massive amounts of weight to get me to where I want which is a lean healthy weight, I know other people who have never lifted a weight in their life and have more muscle than me simply because they're eating more. I do suspect the biggest problem here is diet.

There's some fundamentals of strength that I can't do, like a set of decent pushups and pullups, and if I could get myself to that point I'd probably put on enough muscle through necessity to be less emaciated.

I don't feel sick or tired being this skinny, but I know some strength would be good for my health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been through four waves of interest in 'working out'.

Late seventies was the Kung Fu era, fitness based around martial arts.

The 'big' eighties boom inspired by Hollywood action movies with Arnie, Sly, blah TV Gladiators.

The late nineties ongoing metrosexual TV/DVD/YouTube fitness regimes.  

The WWF/Marvel Comics Universe/Dwayne Johnson/blah.

Those who concentrated on fitness irrespective of becoming big are all fine apart from a few off the rails, squash players (heart attacks), runners (fucked legs) and golfers (new hip(s)).

Without exception every single one of the big lads is either dead, disabled, or fat bloke shuffling around in jogging pants, vest and trainers. Some opened their own gyms and became undone with local gangs despite their best intentions, a few opened shops or sold shakes and stuff online. Many went to prison for drug related crimes or minor assaults blah.

The majority simply lost interest, got married, had kids.

Anyway, blah, it's all been said a million times.

Anybody interested in calisthenics might be interested in Mike Tyson's book wherein he covered his training regime. Mike Tyson trained almost exclusively with calisthenics.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-Mike-Tyson-actually-did-very-little-weights-just-practice-boxing-and-calisthenics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

...

There's some fundamentals of strength that I can't do, like a set of decent pushups and pullups, and if I could get myself to that point I'd probably put on enough muscle through necessity to be less emaciated.

...

You are being too hard on yourself again. Unassisted pullups are one of the most difficult exercices to pull off (see what I did there again?).

That is why you see all the posers doing chinups (much easier) and even then they can only do a couple :).

If you are able to do x3 sets of 10 pushups with 2 minutes rest in between then it is a good start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.