• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Transmissibility

Has anyone here caught (or know someone who has caught) the lurgy despite doing all the lockdown physical distancing stuff? I’m excluding people who caught it off someone in the same household, this is about catching it from a stranger whilst keeping six feet away from them or from touching a contaminating surface. 

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

Has anyone here caught (or know someone who has caught) the lurgy despite doing all the lockdown physical distancing stuff? I’m excluding people who caught it off someone in the same household, this is about catching it from a stranger whilst keeping six feet away from them or from touching a contaminating surface. 

That would be so hard to prove or verify.

Its like telling somebody not to touch their face all day, its the involuntary things we don't think about and do sub-consciously that catch us out.

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

That would be so hard to prove or verify.

Its like telling somebody not to touch their face all day, its the involuntary things we don't think about and do sub-consciously that catch us out.

Doesn’t need to be 100% certain that the person didn’t make a mistake. I feel like there ought be enough people out there who’ve caught it to get an idea of how many of them followed the instructions to a reasonable level of fidelity but still caught it. 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, eight said:

I still don't know personally of anybody who's got it or had it.

It's around 1 in 1000 to 1 in 500 people in the UK who've got it (could be as many who have it with no symptoms) so that's not too surprising. I know 1 - very sure he caught it at a conference - and know of 2 - caught it at dinner party from a known case. Also, husband of a friend of my mother's died from it - likely caught on holiday in France but no other detail.

Edited by TheBlueCat
added the France holiday case

No.

The only infection I know, relatives, was presumed to be from someone staying with a family pre lockdown and they all had it.  Six in total including the guest who is also a relative.

Two at work who had a high temperature so thought they might and self-isolated.

I haven't even heard of anyone since except via the news.

It's working but then again you would expect it to do so when you compare it to the annual sweep of flu when we take no precautions but the vaccine provides the herd immunity.

I know one person in the UK with it - sibling of a colleague.  She works in the NHS, so not unexpected.  What was unexpected was the fact that they actually caught if off their partner, who caught it on a weekend trip to Germany (Berlin) in March....

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

So far, you've got mostly negative answers to your questions Bluey. Perhaps we DOSBODders are the wrong demographic for your research.

Why not try asking some celebrities, or members of the current UK government...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man