DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Corona church revolution

sarahbell

Over 3000 church services online.

Archbishop of Canterbury says 12 million people listening to services. Ten times more than bums on pews.

How will they continue when churches can re open. Will they realise their increase is due to concerns about dying or will people keep watching because sticking the internet on is loads easier than getting dressed and trekking out to church and then feeling stupid because you've no idea what the rituals are. 

You don't have to believe in God to enjoy a good service. 

• Agree 1

Alonso Quijano

I watched the stage show of Jesus Christ Superstar on Friday, streaming on YouTube until 7pm. Very good indeed.

Edited by Alonso Quijano
  • Agree 1

12M is a made up number, that's about half the households in the UK, in reality it is probably a tiny fraction of that if you count unique IP addresses/devices. My guess is they are assuming multiple viewers per connection and ignoring the fact that many people will watch multiple services.

Edited by snaga

Simple. Get churches to go fully online and convert the disused churches into flats to solve the Housing Crisis (TM). 

Odd how the Muz don't seem to mind getting dressed up to attend the mosque every week... 

Will Ramavan be cancelled too?

• Agree 3

In some communities people go to church, mosque etc. not to worship but to be seen to be worshipping.

It's all just a face saving exercise as they are expected to go.

Put it online and the numbers will plummet as they can just say they watched it. Or log in then go down the pub.

• Agree 4

Mike Roberts
3 hours ago, spunko said:

Simple. Get churches to go fully online and convert the disused churches into flats to solve the Housing Crisis (TM). 

Odd how the Muz don't seem to mind getting dressed up to attend the mosque every week... 

Ramavan is the fourth pillar of religious obligation. Senior imams have already stated that fasting is still mandatory even in China virus times.

It will be interesting to watch the numbers from 23rd April onwards. 

Fasting all day then gorging all night will do wonders for the immune system.

• Agree 1

Popuplights
2 hours ago, Mike Roberts said:

Fasting all day then gorging all night will do wonders for the immune system.

When I was in Saudi during Ramavan, they used to all put on weight, despite the fasting. The favourite snack was dates dipped in cream! You had to stay off the roads in the evening as they went mental. Well, more mental than normal.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

6 hours ago, spunko said:

Yeah. Make the effort to fit it around their work....

unregistered_guest

We went online from the 3rd Sunday of Lent onwards.

Like many other churches, we're currently using Zoom[1]. Pretty easy for our oldies to log into[2].

Numbers participating have gradually increased over the lockdown. We're finding that individuals who were part of our local church, recently moved to another country; have found it easier to reconnect with us. That may also go some way to explain the CofE's figures in general. It won't only be people in England logging in.

You may think it odd that someone in California is getting up at 4:00am to take part in a church service several thousand miles away; but if that's the community they feel a close affinity to, that's what they'll do. We're also seeing grandparents logging in from wherever they're based to connect with their kids and grandkids.

It's not revival. In fact, truth be told, it's bloody weird[3]. But it's church; messy, unpredictable, human, nevertheless God's there in the midst of it all. It is a moment of release from where we're at to grasp hold of the bigger picture.

[1] Yes, we know about zoom bombing. Not happened to us yet; we've taken a few steps to minimise the risk as much as is reasonable.

[2] Happy to go over some of the technical details with anyone who wants to compare notes.

[3] I'll explain in more detail if you want.

• Agree 2

Happy Renting
9 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I like listening to choral music and plainsong,

I love the architecture of medieval churches and cathedrals.

I love the prose of the King James Bible.

Pity, really , that I am an atheist.

• Agree 2

unregistered_guest

The beginning of Ramavan should coincide with St. George's Day; if your local moon-sighting committee do their job properly.

The Eid should coincide with World Turtle Day, for any Terry Pratchett fans..

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

9 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

I watched the stage show of Jesus Christ Superstar on Friday, streaming on YouTube until 7pm. Very good indeed.

Is there a Yamaha in it ?

unregistered_guest
2 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

How does it work when the donation box goes round?

We've asked people nicely if they would consider setting up a standing order via online banking. Some people already do.

• Agree 2

TheCountOfNowhere
11 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Over 3000 church services online.

Archbishop of Canterbury says 12 million people listening to services. Ten times more than bums on pews.

How will they continue when churches can re open. Will they realise their increase is due to concerns about dying or will people keep watching because sticking the internet on is loads easier than getting dressed and trekking out to church and then feeling stupid because you've no idea what the rituals are. 

Friend of mine did it today. Was good by all accounts

I googled on line Devil worship and it linked me to tge bbc home page 

• Agree 1

The Generation Game
9 hours ago, spunko said:

Simple. Get churches to go fully online and convert the disused churches into flats to solve the Housing Crisis (TM) mosques. 

Nearly there. 

• 1 month later...
Austin Allegro
On 12/04/2020 at 18:57, Happy Renting said:

I like listening to choral music and plainsong,

I love the architecture of medieval churches and cathedrals.

I love the prose of the King James Bible.

Pity, really , that I am an atheist.

You're in good company as that sums up many of the Anglicans I know, including myself!

In my experience most people who describe themselves as atheists are just rejecting some misconceived idea of God, that they are entirely right to reject.

unregistered_guest
29 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

In my experience most people who describe themselves as atheists are just rejecting some misconceived idea of God, that they are entirely right to reject.

Indeed, we all have some pretty fucked-up ideas about God. Fortunately, He doesn't take it personally.

Smite Me GIFs | Tenor

• Agree 1

Happy Renting
On 12/04/2020 at 20:33, stop_the_craziness said:

Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than ...

This might be one of those class misquotes or mis-attributed quotes but it still makes me laugh

Jesus wanted me for a Sunbeam.

Which will be lost on anyone under 50.

• Lol 1

On 12/04/2020 at 11:31, snaga said:

12M is a made up number, that's about half the households in the UK, in reality it is probably a tiny fraction of that if you count unique IP addresses/devices. My guess is they are assuming multiple viewers per connection and ignoring the fact that many people will watch multiple services.

Yes, that number looks extremely unlikely.  Maybe they has some international viewers?  No idea but wouldn't surprise me if it's 10 times out. 

• Agree 1