• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

sarahbell

What do gulls eat?

One of the many upsides of the new improved "Bugger off!" approach to tourists in Cornwall is that the seagull population will plummet.

Their breeding season is April - July so without the freely available food sources of discarded / stolen tourist food there will be much less breeding this year.

Huzzah!

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I notice that magpies, crows and, sadly, seagulls are hanging around the local gardens more and more. I can only assume that they are no longer getting rubbish bags, discarded food and roadkill to feast upon.

The increase in numbers of corvids especially magpies are probably one of the main reasons for the decline of our hedgerow/song birds due to there taste for their nestlings 

I`m sure Mr Packham will blame cat`s though

4 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Each other if the lockdown continues.

The city ones don't know anything but easy pickings, once they start fighting for food all hell lets loose.

The art of bin bag ripping has spread country wide 

Just now, Long time lurking said:

The increase in numbers of corvids especially magpies are probably one of the main reasons for the decline of our hedgerow/song birds due to there taste for their nestlings 

I`m sure Mr Packham will blame cat`s though

I used to have loads of song birds - tits, robins, sparrows, etc - in my garden until hordes of magpies moved in.... probably because of the song birds... and now the song birds are no more. Now the magpies hang around expecting freebies.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

I used to have loads of song birds - tits, robins, sparrows, etc - in my garden until hordes of magpies moved in.... probably because of the song birds... and now the song birds are no more. Now the magpies hang around expecting freebies.

Since Packham pressed for and won regarding restrictions on shooting them ,it`s only going to get worse 

I`m seeing it with nests already .appearing in places you would never think you would see one 

11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

We've got a mini flock of blue tits flitting through the garden. A nest has fledged by the looks of it and are on a grand tour of back gardens with their parents.

Posted (edited)

The other gull standing there next to him:

"What you got there Dave? A whole rabbit, nice! You going to share that yeah? Go on give us some. What the fuck are you doing? I guess that's a no on the sharing then, you greedy cunt. Fuck you Dave" <walks off>

Edited by Boglet

2 minutes ago, Boglet said:

The other gull standing there next to him:

"What you got there Dave? A rabbit, nice! You going to share that yeah? What the fuck are you doing? That's a no on the sharing then, you greedy cunt. Fuck you Dave" <walks off>

Dave does look like he's going to puke before he has a bit of a belly wriggle.

9 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Since Packham pressed for and won regarding restrictions on shooting them ,it`s only going to get worse 

I`m seeing it with nests already .appearing in places you would never think you would see one 

I have read up on Packham and he seems to be a rather confused and tortured individual so fits in well with BBC policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Packham

The epitomy of Narcissism, he even has his own name as his own website and personal platform, but I will not grant him the smug satisfaction of linking to it.

11 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

We kept the magpie numbers down when we were kids by pinching all their eggs and you never saw one within the town,always the countryside,now they are everywhere.Them and cats are out of control.Vermin both of them.

I caught a seagull once when fishing,i cast and the damn thing caught the worm in flight.Hell of a job unhooking it but what i noticed was how light the bird was for its size,they must be nearly all feathers.

13 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Hang on, are you saying it's no longer legal to use an air rifle on a magpie?1 :o

3 minutes ago, DocH said:

Hang on, are you saying it's no longer legal to use an air rifle on a magpie?1 :o

Been illegal since 1981.

I suppose the difference is that in the 80's it was simply that no-one cared about the corvids so you could do what you liked

whereas now it is still that no-one cares about the corvids, but there are millions of people prepared to call the authorities if they see anyone doing anything that they don't do and they find out online that it isn't legal.

21 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I have read up on Packham and he seems to be a rather confused and tortured individual so fits in well with BBC policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Packham

The epitomy of Narcissism, he even has his own name as his own website and personal platform, but I will not grant him the smug satisfaction of linking to it.

I really can't stand him.

He's tried to use autism to excuse his behaviour but I've met people with autism / Asperger's who have been nice people.

He's an utter twat.

And that's really strange if you look at other high profile / celeb naturalists: Terry Nutkins, David Bellamy, Johnny Morris, David Attenborough, Gerald Durrell, Simon King.

They all come across as thoroughly nice individuals.

Packham is the exception.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, DocH said:

Yep you have to be on IIRC land that is registered by the owner ,in need of pest control ,i`m not 100% sure if it`s country wide or just England 

Goole Chris Packhamd corvid shooting ban i`m sure you will get to a more up to date source than me 

It looks like the problem has been sorted,out snaked by a snake  

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/michael-gove-bird-shooting-ban-chris-packham-death-threats-tory-leadership-a8958471.html

Edited by Long time lurking

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

One of the many upsides of the new improved "Bugger off!" approach to tourists in Cornwall is that the seagull population will plummet.

Their breeding season is April - July so without the freely available food sources of discarded / stolen tourist food there will be much less breeding this year.

Huzzah!

Seagulls are actually endangered. It's a common myth that there are a lot of them in Cornwall. Numbers have halved in 20-30 years.

Edited by Errol