• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wight Flight

The economy is totally and utterly fucked

32 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

yes,

But it could being a resurgence for market towns and particularly, village shops if they are switched on.

GF won't now go to supermarkets though so we've switched to online delivery and quite honostly, we've tried Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsbury and the quality of fresh food you get is shite, produce you'd reject if you looked at it instore, and substitutions we wouldn't entertain.

If our village shop stocked a greater variety of fresh produce and at slightly more realistic prices (rather than £1.20 per small courgette for example) it would do a roaring trade

They can't.

Having tried loads of corner shops over the last few months, none of them sell decent veg at any price. The shelf life just isn't worth it for them compared to a tin of sweetcorn.

I do actually have a little bit of sympathy for the poorer that say they can't buy good food. If they are living out of their corner shop it is partly true.

It is ok for me. I can drive to some really great farms that sell their own produce. Without a car your vegetable options are severely restricted.

58 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Possibly should be on the @MrLibertyRedux’s Beautiful Pubs thread, but I must compare and contrast.

Went to 5 pubs and restaurants tonight. Bought one of them. All rammed apart from the one I bought, especially the high end ones. When I say high end, I Mean a plate of 4 tornados for $400++.
It’s rocking here now. Crazy. Insane. And I don’t know why.

I had a sneezing fit after 12 pints of the finest craft beer - and nobody even turned a head!! 😂 

I've said this before, and I'll say it again @Bkkandrew. I'm doing something seriously wrong over here, especially considering I have no family!

6 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

They can't.

Having tried loads of corner shops over the last few months, none of them sell decent veg at any price. The shelf life just isn't worth it for them compared to a tin of sweetcorn.

I do actually have a little bit of sympathy for the poorer that say they can't buy good food. If they are living out of their corner shop it is partly true.

It is ok for me. I can drive to some really great farms that sell their own produce. Without a car your vegetable options are severely restricted.

I think they could if foot fall increases because people avoid the crowds of supermarkets.

The local farmer has cottoned on (the one that blocked the car park) - he's driving to the village square twice a day on his quad bike with a large range of repackaged fruit and veg on the back. He sells the lot. he won't be doing it out of generosity that's for sure.

Edited by Hopeful

16 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

They can't.

I've taken to using quite a lot of frozen veg.

44 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

My freezer is rammed.

But apart from peas, what do you think is as good frozen as fresh?

Sorry, for cooking, not for fresh. I made a pasta sauce tonight with frozen peppers, onions and a few frozen baby carrots.

Can be good when done fricassee to serve with pie or whatever.

Furlough fraud is rife. Sparky came today and outright told me within 60 seconds of chatting he was still on furlough. Another owner told me his one staff member was on furlough but still working as normal, without any prompt or questioning from me. Not even being hidden.

As for trades being busy, getting a contractor to site still hasn't changed, like herding cats as always. The old 3 quotes thing is bollocks in my experience (just getting the fuckers to site to quote can be a herculean task), I usually take a 1st quote and keep my fingers crossed they turn up. When they invariably don't, move onto another.

I wanted the whole of our upstairs flooring taken up and replaced with a new lino, guy came out, told me how bad business was, very enthusiastic and measured up, not heard a peep from him since. Radio silence chasing him. 4 weeks ago.

Wanted the decades old ceiling tiles replaced in the offices as looks like we're a company of chain smokers, guy (handman) came in and told me he was absolutely dead, counted all the tiles and advised he'd come back to me on a fitting date. That was 4 weeks ago. 2-3 days labour work passed up.

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

My freezer is rammed.

I don't know about "as good as fresh" but frozen green beans, broad beans, spinach, brussels sprouts, sliced mushrooms and sweetcorn are all fine. Frozen crushed garlic and ginger cubes are easy and mean no waste.

4 minutes ago, Darude said:

I don't know about "as good as fresh" but frozen green beans, broad beans, spinach, brussels sprouts, sliced mushrooms and sweetcorn are all fine. Frozen crushed garlic and ginger cubes are easy and mean no waste.

Spinach I grant you. Sweetcorn is better tinned IMHO.

I was chatting to our local corner shop person and she was telling me that the local cash and carry (Bookers) had little stock of scarce items as their new owner, Tescos, made sure that any stock in the system was prioritised for Tescos.

The ‘fiscal cliff’ is the same date in Oz, the govt teet is due to be switched off on Oct 1. Things are getting back to normal in the main but there is a lot of fear that the money will run out here quickly once the deadline has passed.

So is this all part of the plan as well? Simultaneously crush the west financially just as the northern winter gets started?

4 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

My freezer is rammed.

black currants and gooseberries and moving away from fruit,  squid, octopus, cuttlefish, bass, cod, pollock (white fish),

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

black currants and gooseberries and moving away from fruit,  squid, octopus, cuttlefish, bass, cod, pollock (white fish),

Well since all of your fish products mentioned above - other than cod - are fucking minging fresh, then being just as rancid frozen doesn't really (ahem!) cut much ice with me...!

Your fridge full of lobsters and crabs had me drooling - but pollock, squid and octopus...? Gerraway and shite man...!

XYY

4 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

My freezer is rammed.

Broad beans. Better than podding the buggers.

Even broccoli isn't as bad as it used to be.

Edame beans. French beans .. but cut them up more.

They do sliced runner beans which are not bad.

Frozen onion seems decadent but they do red and white. 

10 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Well since all of your fish products mentioned above - other than cod - are fucking minging fresh, then being just as rancid frozen doesn't really (ahem!) cut much ice with me...!

Your fridge full of lobsters and crabs had me drooling - but pollock, squid and octopus...? Gerraway and shite man...!

XYY

Big pollock (one the fish's skin goes green/black rather than golden brown) are good small ones <4lb  pointless

Squid, cuttlefish or octopus - gosh, flash fried in tempura batter

or any of Theo Randalls squid recipes or a cuttlefish risotto

Cuttlefish is for budgies.

And anything that needs flash frying in tempura butter is an admission that the butter is where the taste is.

Crab and lobster just need boiling. Cod - and haddock - just need to be poached, baked, or deep-fried in batter. Their flavour speaks for itself, without any pretentious shite needing to be added.

Once any food item needs a sauce or a secret recipe to make it delicious, then it's the sauce or recipe that you're salivating over.

Boil me a big bag of prawns, and I will eat them until I am physically sick. Why...? Because they taste fucking fantastic on their own, without any "filler" ingredients to bulk them up...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

And anything that needs flash frying in tempura butter is an admission that the butter is where the taste is.

Crab and lobster just need boiling. Cod - and haddock - just need to be poached, baked, or deep-fried in batter. Their flavour speaks for itself, without any pretentious shite needing to be added.

Once any food item needs a sauce or a secret recipe to make it delicious, then it's the sauce or recipe that you're salivating over.

Boil me a big bag of prawns, and I will eat them until I am physically sick. Why...? Because they taste fucking fantastic on their own, without any "filler" ingredients to bulk them up...

XYY

Yup.  The real test of good food is whether it tastes good without added salt, etc....

3 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

With you on the prawns.

I presume you eat them whole, head 'n all, and you aren't one of those delicate souls that has to peel them first and just eat the flesh of the tail?

Frozen jumbo prawns are nice eating - far better than the frozen cooked ones.

I just leave in cold water to defrost for ten minutes - take out the blue shite - then ready to go. 

For the soup below I don't even cook them. Just put them in the broth once it's in the bowl and leave for 3-4 mins before eating. It's so easy to overcook these things and undercooking them is a pretty hard task. 

Spicy Thai style soup. 

IMG_20200609_170218683.jpg

20 hours ago, ccc said:

I walked around central Edinburgh today and you know when things just all add up all of a sudden ? 

Everything is fucked.

Even all these shops that are all open now that apparently people are desperate to queue to get into. Maybe the first day for a few hours. Not anymore. Mostly empty. 

They will be losing staff too. This will all move along to your bank's as well who haven't started on the big job losses either so far. (Aside from HSBC) .

That won't be long coming. 

Then we have October and the job support stuff ending. 

And every single office block sat there empty and desolate. 

It reminded me of all those desperate pictures you see of Detroit. 

It's carnage. Absolute carnage. 

I fully 100% hope I'm completely wrong. I will be delighted. I just can't see it though. 

This is how i felt walking around manc city centre about 3 weeks ago when I went to donate blood.  Primark wasn't open then so it was even more stark,  whole office blocks shut,  all the shops and pubs,  cafes  closed,  hardly any people,  it was totally surreal,  real disaster movie type feeling. 

50 minutes ago, JFK said:

This is how i felt walking around manc city centre about 3 weeks ago when I went to donate blood.  Primark wasn't open then so it was even more stark,  whole office blocks shut,  all the shops and pubs,  cafes  closed,  hardly any people,  it was totally surreal,  real disaster movie type feeling. 

That is exactly where we are heading we are in the phony war period at the moment where the government meddles and pretends it is still relevant. In 12 to 18 months time we might be a in a very different place, we culd be looking at collapse of civilisation