Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

The economy is totally and utterly fucked


Recommended Posts

AlfredTheLittle
On 27/03/2021 at 12:46, feed said:

TFL draw £5Billion in passenger income.  Want to make it free at point of service and add £5billion to taxes? 

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-budget-2020-21.pdf

 

image.png.448559ed4e43e1a360c7119833902546.png

I think you guys are really underestimating how expensive transport is. 

There would be a cost, like there is for anything the government provides for 'free', I'm just saying that cost would be worth it, public transport free at point of use would revolutionise society in many ways, lots less people would want or need cars for example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Wight Flight

    258

  • Austin Allegro

    222

  • JoeDavola

    206

  • eight

    203

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No matter what kind of spin they try to put on it, it is buggered. I might be a bit biased having watched the big short again tonight, but we were already heading there. Sub prime car loans in th

At risk of bringing this thread back on topic, I wanted to add a few thoughts As part of their policy to keep everyone in doors and also convince everyone that this is all necessary they have sca

Posted Images

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

There would be a cost, like there is for anything the government provides for 'free', I'm just saying that cost would be worth it, public transport free at point of use would revolutionise society in many ways, lots less people would want or need cars for example.

I think that is a city centric view.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
AlfredTheLittle
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I think that is a city centric view.

Possibly, but in my world buses and trains would be free in the countryside as well 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wight Flight
8 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Possibly, but in my world buses and trains would be free in the countryside as well 🙂

That would be great if they went where you wanted to go, when you wanted to go.

Even having lived on the outskirts of towns most of my life, I have never found a sensible way to get to work by public transport.

This is possibly because we have so fucked up the housing situation, and removed the possibility of local work, that we are all commuting too far.

Enabling people to live nearer their jobs or schools would be much more beneficial.

  • Agree 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
eight
23 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Possibly, but in my world buses and trains would be free in the countryside as well 🙂

For a lot of people they are. I've only used them as a "walk up" customer a handful of times in the last twenty or so years, you can tell that the driver is pissed off that you've made them interact with a customer, mostly they don't even know what to charge you.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
gibbon
On 27/03/2021 at 15:46, feed said:

There has been chronic wage suppression in this country for 20 years or more.  And when one group has managed to hold on to a decent wage.  What do we say, it's too high, that needs suppressing as well, because we have mass immigration suppressing agricultural wages.  

The wealthy are laughing at us.  We're doing their job for them.   

Anyone with a IQ above 50 could be a tube driver. The trains require little to no input from the driver. There would be tens of thousands of people willing to do it for £25k a year. For a lot of people who want a low stress job where you don't have to deal with others it's ideal. There's no way the drivers should be getting £55k (I heard it was more like £80k). It should pay what people are willing to do it for.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
feed
10 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Anyone with a IQ above 50 could be a tube driver. The trains require little to no input from the driver. There would be tens of thousands of people willing to do it for £25k a year. For a lot of people who want a low stress job where you don't have to deal with others it's ideal. There's no way the drivers should be getting £55k (I heard it was more like £80k). It should pay what people are willing to do it for.

 

India Railway Train Driver High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy


And what about this guy, how much do you think he'd do it for?

And what about your job, should that be done for whatever someone is prepared to do it for.  

This place is weird.
Mass immigration for wage suppression is bad, offshoring for wage suppression is bad.  But other peoples labour, well that's not worth much at all.  

 

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
gibbon
16 minutes ago, feed said:

 

India Railway Train Driver High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy


And what about this guy, how much do you think he'd do it for?

And what about your job, should that be done for whatever someone is prepared to do it for.  

This place is weird.
Mass immigration for wage suppression is bad, offshoring for wage suppression is bad.  But other peoples labour, well that's not worth much at all.  

 

Letting market forces/individuals decide what they are willing to accept as the required remuneration and mass immigration to create wage suppression are two different things. You can be for one and against the other.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
eight
24 minutes ago, feed said:

 

India Railway Train Driver High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy


And what about this guy, how much do you think he'd do it for?

 

 

He's not a tube trains driver though, they have to drive in the dark, and without hitting the sides. It's very highly skilled.

  • Lol 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
feed
30 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Letting market forces/individuals decide what they are willing to accept as the required remuneration and mass immigration to create wage suppression are two different things. You can be for one and against the other.

Yes you can. But that's not the world we live in.  If we hadn't the wage suppression on other professions, from mass immigration, the tube drivers wages wouldn't look excessive. 

Working peoples live aren’t improved by asking for everyone to be ground down to the lowest common denominator, they’re improved by finding examples of people who are paid well. (and if that's achieved from collective bargaining in unions, so be it).  and using them it justify pay in comparable areas.    

That they're getting those wages, just shows how screwed everyone else has been.  

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Boglet
3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

That would be great if they went where you wanted to go, when you wanted to go.

Even having lived on the outskirts of towns most of my life, I have never found a sensible way to get to work by public transport.

This is possibly because we have so fucked up the housing situation, and removed the possibility of local work, that we are all commuting too far.

Enabling people to live nearer their jobs or schools would be much more beneficial.

Well we pay and provide accommodation for people to sit on their arse in the expensive areas where the jobs are, then the people doing those jobs have to commute past them as they can't afford to live nearby. Genius.

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Rare Bear
1 hour ago, Boglet said:

Well we pay and provide accommodation for people to sit on their arse in the expensive areas where the jobs are, then the people doing those jobs have to commute past them as they can't afford to live nearby. Genius.

The real scandal of Grenfell.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Austin Allegro
59 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

The real scandal of Grenfell.

I'd call it a related scandal. The fire should have sparked (no pun intended) a debate on the relation of housing to immigration and employment in this country, but of course those are taboo subjects and it's easier for the BBC et al just to bang on about racism.

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Chewing Grass
4 hours ago, gibbon said:

Anyone with a IQ above 50 could be a tube driver. The trains require little to no input from the driver. There would be tens of thousands of people willing to do it for £25k a year. For a lot of people who want a low stress job where you don't have to deal with others it's ideal. There's no way the drivers should be getting £55k (I heard it was more like £80k). It should pay what people are willing to do it for.

Don't worry, by the time they have reflated the economy with funny-money everyone will be on £55K (minimum wage) and the tube drivers will be on £80K and job-sharing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Democorruptcy
4 hours ago, gibbon said:

Anyone with a IQ above 50 could be a tube driver. The trains require little to no input from the driver. There would be tens of thousands of people willing to do it for £25k a year. For a lot of people who want a low stress job where you don't have to deal with others it's ideal. There's no way the drivers should be getting £55k (I heard it was more like £80k). It should pay what people are willing to do it for.

I know someone ex-army who completed an HND as a mature student in 1996. He then got a £40k+ job as a trainee train driver. Could be on £100k now?

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
ashestoashes
4 hours ago, feed said:

 

India Railway Train Driver High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy


And what about this guy, how much do you think he'd do it for?

And what about your job, should that be done for whatever someone is prepared to do it for.  

This place is weird.
Mass immigration for wage suppression is bad, offshoring for wage suppression is bad.  But other peoples labour, well that's not worth much at all.  

 

if that's India then I think it's a prestigious job over there and he would get a company house and healthcare/education included

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
gibbon
32 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I know someone ex-army who completed an HND as a mature student in 1996. He then got a £40k+ job as a trainee train driver. Could be on £100k now?

I know someone who just started as a trainee train driver, starting is £60k apparently, or maybe that's when he's fully trained. 

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Bilbo

Remember the triple alliance, coal, steel and railway. The government has disposed of the coal and steel problems but the railways union still hold the government feet to the fire.

I expect that a train drivers job could be automated, it must be easier than self driving cars.

 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Democorruptcy

I've seen a few people in a long queue today saying they are only there for a refund on something bought pre-Christmas B|

  • Lol 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Wight Flight

Got hit with an 18% price hike today from one of my suppliers.

And I am going to bin off my Irish customers. Just too much cost and grief now.

I am not having a happy day.

  • Informative 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Austin Allegro

Weird combination of virtue-signalling on Faecebook today, with lots of pictures of people drinking pints outside pubs but also lots of Karens moaning about people going shopping in TK Maxx etc.

What's interesting is they seem to be moaning in exactly the same way that they did about people having snowball fights or drinking in the park or going on anti-lockdown marches, despite pubs and shopping now being completely government-approved.

It's as if they have completely lost touch with any objective reality and are guided purely by groupthink and their own fear and virtue-signalling.

  • Agree 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

And I am going to bin off my Irish customers. Just too much cost and grief now.

I am not having a happy day.

We're struggling with our Irish customers as well.  Randomly applied Irish VAT, DHL don't appear to have a clue what they are doing.  Larger deliveries, we use our trasnport company who have grasped the difference between VAT and Duty.

Currently talking to a third party customs agent to help us deal with Irish VAT and claim any back that is charged in error, obviously for a fee.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Wight Flight

Does anyone know any high earners that have been furloughed on the capped amount for the last year?

I have lost touch with all my pilot mates, but I assume a lot of them are on their knees by now?

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Bricks & Mortar
10 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Does anyone know any high earners that have been furloughed on the capped amount for the last year?

I have lost touch with all my pilot mates, but I assume a lot of them are on their knees by now?

Guy near me was making good money in the gas industry.  Works in a plant in the Desert, Oman.
He's been home 8 months.  No furlough, nothing.  Yeah, he's just about out of spare cash.  Started shopping at Lidl, he told me.

  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

    • Inigo

×
×
  • Create New...