DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The economy is totally and utterly fucked

Wight Flight

4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

So they don't use british chicken? or they do and there's no one working in the UK either preparing dead chickens or driving them around?

All this shortage bullshit helps drive up demand for their products..fear of missing out

sarahbell
31 minutes ago, Gin said:

All this shortage bullshit helps drive up demand for their products..fear of missing out

Maybe. 

If not that then It's either to persuade people to want to rejoin the EU or to allow more people in.

Wight Flight

My own little economy is fucked today.

Voipfone have been down for 24 hours already. Meaning no incoming phone calls. No information about when they will be back.

It wouldn't normally be critical except I put out a mass magazine insert and postal marketing campaign on Tuesday.

Bugger.

7 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Voipfone have been down for 24 hours already. Meaning no incoming phone calls. No information about when they will be back.

It wouldn't normally be critical except I put out a mass magazine insert and postal marketing campaign on Tuesday.

Bugger.

Not sure what line of work you’re into but I started using a QR code on marketing linked to a data capture platform (Typeform). If there’s one thing this covid BS has done, it’s certainly raised people’s awareness and willingness to point their phone at a QR rather than call in. Far less friction and has the advantage of being ‘available’ 24/7

• Informative 2

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, Reck B said:

Not sure what line of work you’re into but I started using a QR code on marketing linked to a data capture platform (Typeform). If there’s one thing this covid BS has done, it’s certainly raised people’s awareness and willingness to point their phone at a QR rather than call in. Far less friction and has the advantage of being ‘available’ 24/7

My customers are old.

Many of them don't even have email.

They like phoning, or posting in order forms with cheques!

• Cheers 1

Just now, Wight Flight said:

My customers are old.

Ahh, you own the Isle of Wight Beige Corduroy Slacks emporium!

• Agree 1
  • Lol 8

2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Bugger.

Aye, I have a number with them but fortunately not got around to using it yet.

I had an email off them a couple of days suggesting setting up divert to mobile. Presume as their main website is affected it's still possible to access settings via their app, though the link in the email seems to work (not tried logging in):

https://my.voipfone.co.uk/#!/services/diverts/main+auth

Current status looks bleak:

https://www.voipfonestatus.co.uk/

A lot of big players use protection services like Cloudflare for their websites, not sure if such a thing can be applied to VOIP or if the scumbags doing the denial of service have found a soft target audience.

A sign of things to come as all telecoms, BT included., are supposedly moving to VOIP in a few years, to remove the old exchange maintenance issues, so more critical systems will be vulnerable to the hackers.

They say the next war will be cyber and likely has already started, as many of these groups are backed by Russia or China to destablise the west. :ph34r:

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
12 minutes ago, BoSon said:

I had an email off them a couple of days suggesting setting up divert to mobile. Presume as their main website is affected it's still possible to access settings via their app, though the link in the email seems to work (not tried logging in):

Thankfully back up now - but the login doesn't work (part of their website is still in trouble) so I can't set up a divert to mobile just yet in case it goes again.

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Thankfully back up now - but the login doesn't work (part of their website is still in trouble) so I can't set up a divert to mobile just yet in case it goes again.

Call them and they'll do it for you. I presume they do have normal land lines and not only VOIP based customer service for when things go totally tits up? xD

Edit: That links seems to only work for me on Edge, not Firefox or Chrome. Just sits trying to load on those whereas I get the login box on Edge. No idea why the difference in behaviour, Edge uses same engine as Chrome these days.

Edited by BoSon

2 minutes ago, BoSon said:

normal land lines and not only VOIP based customer service for when things go totally tits up?

That's a good idea, they could probably sell that as a separate package 

• Lol 1

Battenberg
4 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

My customers are old.

Do you have one of the numbers that says “press one for customer service, two for accounts, three for anything else”, even though there’s only the two of you. I want one of those but I don’t know how to set it up. I’ve only got 2 landlines, do I need VOIP?

Yadda yadda yadda
1 minute ago, Battenberg said:

Do you have one of the numbers that says “press one for customer service, two for accounts, three for anything else”, even though there’s only the two of you. I want one of those but I don’t know how to set it up. I’ve only got 2 landlines, do I need VOIP?

Get one of those where customers can input an account number yet the first question when they speak to real person is for their account number.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 4

Wight Flight
33 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Call them and they'll do it for you. I presume they do have normal land lines and not only VOIP based customer service for when things go totally tits up? xD

Edit: That links seems to only work for me on Edge, not Firefox or Chrome. Just sits trying to load on those whereas I get the login box on Edge. No idea why the difference in behaviour, Edge uses same engine as Chrome these days.

Tried calling. As I guess did 100k other customers. Just got a message saying they were trying really hard.

Wight Flight
22 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

We have 10 numbers for the two of us, and yes, I can set that up easily if I wanted to.

To be fair this is the first outage I have had in 10 years. I am a massive fan compared to the old cabled pabx systems.

• Agree 1

Southmartin
3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Yup - affected me too (also with Voipfone) thug to be fair I can't recall a time in the last decade when this has happened before. - Actually I'm pretty sure they sent an email out last week warning that they might get a DDoS attack soon... guess they refused to pay the ransom!

With a crooked smile
4 hours ago, Battenberg said:

I’ve only got 2 landlines, do I need VOIP?

You will by 2025 as that's when copper gets switched off. 

With a crooked smile
2 hours ago, Southmartin said:

Yup - affected me too (also with Voipfone)

Personally I'd go with Ringcentral or 8x8. Downtime likely to be much less. 8x8 have 99.999 uptime sla. 

Wight Flight
9 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

Personally I'd go with Ringcentral or 8x8. Downtime likely to be much less. 8x8 have 99.999 uptime sla. 

To be fair so did Voipfone.

Until they didn't.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Democorruptcy

Wearing her TUC hat Frances O'Grady is warning of future economic shocks and complaining about inequality:

UK must prepare for more economic shocks, says TUC

Speaking to the TUC Congress in London, Ms O'Grady will highlight the danger to workers from further pandemics, climate change and technological disruption.

"Years of austerity took their toll and meant we fought this pandemic with one hand tied behind our backs," she is due to say.

"The UK must be better prepared for crises in the future. New tech offers new opportunities but also poses old threats to jobs."

She will say that ministers may wonder what they can do to help fill job vacancies.

"Well, here's a novel idea - let's make that industry deliver decent conditions, direct employment and a proper pay rise," she will say.

"After decades of real wage cuts and falling living standards, no-one can seriously say working people don't deserve a pay rise."

Ms O'Grady is also due to challenge Prime Minister Boris Johnson on his policy of "levelling up".

"If levelling up means anything, it must mean levelling up at work and levelling up living standards," she will say, arguing Covid pandemic "must be a catalyst for real change".

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme ahead of her speech, Ms O'Grady urged the government to reconsider recent rises to National Insurance contributions, describing the move as "another hit" to young people and low-paid workers.

"We saw far too much inequality before the crisis, it's got a lot worse. We know that working people have been subject to pay freezes and pay pauses for years."

She argued that shifting tax to wealth instead may offer a boost in demand for the economy.

"One thing you can guarantee about working people is that they spend their money locally and that's what will get the economy moving again."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58538887

The other hat she wears is at the Bank of England that creates inequality by pushing asset prices higher through low interest rates etc etc

Frances O'Grady

Non-Executive Director, Court of Directors

Term of appointment: 1 June 2019 - 31 May 2023

Frances became general secretary of the TUC in January 2013, the first woman ever to hold this post. 

She joined the TUC as campaigns officer in 1994, and launched the Organising Academy in 1997.

Frances headed up the TUC’s organisation department in 1999, reorganising local skills projects into unionlearn which now helps a quarter of a million workers into learning every year.

As deputy general secretary from 2003, Frances led on the environment, industrial policy, the NHS and winning an agreement covering the 2012 Olympics. She has served as a member of the Low Pay Commission, the High Pay Centre, the Resolution Foundation’s Commission on Living Standards, the Commission on Economic Justice and the government’s National Retraining Partnership. 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about/people/frances-ogrady/biography

• Agree 1
  • Informative 4

Lightly Toasted
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

Wearing her TUC hat Frances O'Grady is warning of future economic shocks and complaining about inequality:

The other hat she wears is at the Bank of England that creates inequality by pushing asset prices higher through low interest rates etc etc

Wow, a TUC central-banker globalist* who wants "levelling up!

The question is, which workers? Does she have any subscription-paying members in the far east?

* O'Grady campaigned to Remain, which in Britain is the acid test for globalism vs nationalism.

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Wow, a TUC central-banker globalist* who wants "levelling up!

The question is, which workers? Does she have any subscription-paying members in the far east?

* O'Grady campaigned to Remain, which in Britain is the acid test for globalism vs nationalism.

The-economy-is-totally-and-utterly-fucked

Is what happens when a nation is ran solely by middle class folk, who've never done a days manual labour in their life.

In times gone by such people may have been reliant on a productive family owned company for their income, so would have felt the downside of exporting manufacturing.

Why be productive when you can make so much more, for such little work whilst riding several gravy trains.

• Agree 6

Alonso Quijano

This is both funny and sweet as dad is encouraged back to work after his 'holiday'. Foreign with sub-titles.

• Love 1
  • Lol 6
  • Cheers 2