DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The economy is totally and utterly fucked

Wight Flight

5 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is just our way of telling them that they have no genetic adaptation to tolerate lactose.

I seem to remember from Biology o level that mammals are supposed to stop producing lactase, the enzyme required to breakdown lactose, once past childhood.  I have also seen a chart that correlates percentage of a population that are lactose intolerant with how long they have been dairy farming.  The Dutch appear to have been doing it for about 10,000 years and have almost zero lactose intolerance, the Chinese have only just just started consuming milk and have almost 100% lactose intolerance.

I couldn't find the table, but this article suggests mechanisms:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/12/27/168144785/an-evolutionary-whodunit-how-did-humans-develop-lactose-tolerance

• Informative 2

belfastchild
19 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is just our way of telling them that they have no genetic adaptation to tolerate lactose.

I was at a talk a few years ago about Irish genetics.
We have the highest milk tolerance in the world apparently and the further west you go in Ireland the higher it is (100% in places). Makes sense if a lot of your historical food was based around dairy, if you were intolerant you died early and didnt breed.

From what I remember of the talk they mentioned a study on african-american lactose intolerance and found a fairly sizeable minority of those who were lactose tolerant had dna links to the O'Neills of Ulster who fled Ireland (flight of the earls).

• Agree 2
  • Informative 3

40 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

You do know where eggs come from?

why did the chicken cross the road?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, belfastchild said:

Got drunk with one of my mainland chinese friends one night.
'Can I ask you a personal question?'
'Aye, go on'
'Why do you westerners all smell of sour milk?'

How do babies smell to them?  Fresh milk?  Although they have a lot of fake milk kicking about (in the past dangerously fake when corner cut) and rates of suckling off the real deal very low.

Good point though, it's whatever we're used to, Indians so often smell of curry and oil to me but I'm sure their totally oblivious to their pungency.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

I seem to remember from Biology o level that mammals are supposed to stop producing lactase, the enzyme required to breakdown lactose, once past childhood.  I have also seen a chart that correlates percentage of a population that are lactose intolerant with how long they have been dairy farming.  The Dutch appear to have been doing it for about 10,000 years and have almost zero lactose intolerance, the Chinese have only just just started consuming milk and have almost 100% lactose intolerance.

I couldn't find the table, but this article suggests mechanisms:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/12/27/168144785/an-evolutionary-whodunit-how-did-humans-develop-lactose-tolerance

That makes sense for me, I used to have loads of dairy as a kid with no issues at all but since adulthood I have to very much limit my dairy intake to avoid unfortunate results.

Edited by Royston
  • Agree 1
  • Bogged 1

1 hour ago, Royston said:

That makes sense for me, I used to have loads of dairy as a kid with no issues at all but since adulthood I have to very much limit my dairy intake to avoid unfortunate results.

Bogged?

3 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

it had it's reasons

exactly! like why do dogs lick their balls?

interestingly where I live, chickens often cross the road and they even leave eggs in other folks gardens

so to answer Sarah's q (and I haven't got a clue what she was inferring) eggs can magically appear in ones garden if you live in the right part of the world :P

Edited by nirvana

ashestoashes
30 minutes ago, nirvana said:

exactly! like why do dogs lick their balls?

interestingly where I live, chickens often cross the road and they even leave eggs in other folks gardens

so to answer Sarah's q (and I haven't got a clue what she was inferring) eggs can magically appear in ones garden if you live in the right part of the world :P

because no other dog will

• Informative 1

The Grey Man

I do like this chap.

His recent videos are worth a look.

All those videos are so similar. Yet they are US based with comments about the world wide issues. 

No brexit there.

I dont agree with everything. He avoids the issue of the CCP avoiding imports from the US and the west for return journeys accross the Pacific. The cargo ships and containers lying empty accross the States.

A good.set of recent videos though.

• Agree 1

Made me have a look at Dominos pricing since COVID. I've not eaten there for 3 years or so, but I remember the old pricing. It used to be £18.99 for a large pizza which I felt was daylight robbery. It is now...£21.99.

WTF

I used to order a Tuna Supreme (Medium) with stuffed crust. Used to cost me £9.98 to collect which was just about possible to justify. It would now cost me £14.49. And yet they still cannot get the staff despite the pricing being almost 50% more than 3 years ago.

Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 18-14-40 Checkout Domino's Pizza.png

• Lol 1

sarahbell
4 minutes ago, spunko said:

Made me have a look at Dominos pricing since COVID. I've not eaten there for 3 years or so, but I remember the old pricing. It used to be £18.99 for a large pizza which I felt was daylight robbery. It is now...£21.99.

WTF

I used to order a Tuna Supreme (Medium) with stuffed crust. Used to cost me £9.98 to collect which was just about possible to justify. It would now cost me £14.49. And yet they still cannot get the staff despite the pricing being almost 50% more than 3 years ago.

Maybe the extra isn't just going to the wages.

How many pizzas does one person make an hour?

On 10/10/2021 at 10:09, nirvana said:

why did the chicken cross the road?

DOSBODDER: "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

Lamer: "I don't know".

DOSBODDER: "To get to the gay man's house."

Lamer: "Umm, I don't gedddit ...?"

DOSBODDER: "Knock Knock!"

Lamer: "Who's there?"

DOSBODDER: "The chicken."

Ok, I'll go get my utterly juvenile coat ....

• Lol 6
  • Cheers 1

On 06/10/2021 at 04:53, jamanda said:

Makes you wonder how much the broccoli is going to cost when it reaches retail.

My feeling with broccoli is they've some new fangled way of growing it that stops its dying/rotting, as it was dead expensive in the good old days.

Like Scooby doo's gang says its a hunch.

9 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Reminds me of the joke my son caught me out with at dinner when he was about 10:

'Hey dad, have you seen the clown who hides from gays?' 

'no' 

Cue the rest of the family falling about laughing whilst I sat there trying to work out what was going on. 

What's the difference between a duck?

A tremendous # on the lung

Britain is now facing a pie crisis amid 'perfect storm' of foil tins running low due to rising global aluminium prices, labour shortages and inflation

7 minutes ago, A tremendous # on the lung said:

Britain is now facing a pie crisis amid 'perfect storm' of foil tins running low due to rising global aluminium prices, labour shortages and inflation

Is this real? Or some crazy tinfoil hat theory?! 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 5

sarahbell
46 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

can now say it's a pukka crisis

The microwave ones don't have tin foil

• Informative 1