• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
GBDamo

Capitalism, lets refine it.

Recommended Posts

We've got little else to do.

Firstly Capitalism to me is about using the resources you have in conjunction with your own endeavor to improve your lot in life and if allowed to work provides people with purpose and goals.

In any system with winners there will be losers and some form of social responsibility is a must.

Key to this is having the freedom to accumulate capital, exploit it as you wish and free access to markets.

At pressent far to many are disenfranchised in many ways, mainly.

Opportunity, is stifled through corporate protectionism via regulation. Parasitism, where opportunity is pressent there are too many groups that have positioned themslves between you and your market. Encouraged by large corporates to regulate competition from the market.

Monopolies have allowed corporations to grow to large, they are now more powerful than governments and dictate policy in their interest.

 

To me it seems like Capitalism has now got to that point in a game of Monopoly whrer the risk costs outweigh the opportunity gains, everyone gets board, starts making up silly rule just to keep the game going before, finally someone throws the board off the table.

Is that where we are, is there a way to avoid this end game and reach a more sustainable and equitable outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start pulling down the barriers to entry into the "game".

Reduce non-discretionary living costs so that people can start to accumulate capital if they wish: housing costs, council tax, NI and income tax on lower salaries.

Reduce regulation and rules upon small businesses - they are now so prohibitive that small traders actively avoid taking on any staff. The only non-sole trade tradesmen I know work with their sons who are also independent.

Generally stop making it a nightmare to employ anyone in order to grow a small business.

Start differentiating between wealth creating and rent harvesting businesses in terms of tax breaks, business rates, and corporation tax rates.

Create the equivalent of the Citizens Advice Bureau for small businesses where they can seek advice for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Just about. American democracy is Apple v Google.

I'd say it's the corps that run America, probably more the banks that run the UK.

Same outcome all the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Start differentiating between wealth creating and rent harvesting businesses in terms of tax breaks, business rates, and corporation tax rates.

Agree, but I can't see how you bust the "creating an efficient buisness environment facilitates wealth creation" type 'word salad' arguments that many rent seekers and requlators will cone up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GBDamo said:

We've got little else to do.

Firstly Capitalism to me is about using the resources you have in conjunction with your own endeavor to improve your lot in life and if allowed to work provides people with purpose and goals.

In any system with winners there will be losers and some form of social responsibility is a must.

Key to this is having the freedom to accumulate capital, exploit it as you wish and free access to markets.

At pressent far to many are disenfranchised in many ways, mainly.

Opportunity, is stifled through corporate protectionism via regulation. Parasitism, where opportunity is pressent there are too many groups that have positioned themslves between you and your market. Encouraged by large corporates to regulate competition from the market.

Monopolies have allowed corporations to grow to large, they are now more powerful than governments and dictate policy in their interest.

 

To me it seems like Capitalism has now got to that point in a game of Monopoly whrer the risk costs outweigh the opportunity gains, everyone gets board, starts making up silly rule just to keep the game going before, finally someone throws the board off the table.

Is that where we are, is there a way to avoid this end game and reach a more sustainable and equitable outcome.

Capitalism is the use of capital.

Labour is labour.

You are making the same mistake as Marx in thinking capital beats labour.

Labour adapts capital to make it better, more productive.

Capital without labour is just a big non productive lump of metal.

Due you mean market economy?

Even the US has nowhere near a market economy. The states controls a huge chunk.

Places like France, where the state consumes 60% of GDP dont need 'better capitalism. They need a much smaller state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Capitalism is the use of capital.

Labour is labour.

You are making the same mistake as Marx in thinking capital beats labour.

Labour adapts capital to make it better, more productive.

Capital without labour is just a big non productive lump of metal.

Due you mean market economy?

Even the US has nowhere near a market economy. The states controls a huge chunk.

Places like France, where the state consumes 60% of GDP dont need 'better capitalism. They need a much smaller state.

All that without consumption is pointless also.

Maybe the hierarchy should be.

Consumer.

Labour.

Capital.

And yes, free marketism is probably closer to my beliefs than Capitalism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Central banks inject liquidity into the capital markets and the market then allocates it.

Thats it.

Cheers, never knew it so straightforward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Any start-up that cannot make a trading profit within three years should be struck off.

Why? It's their money that they're wasting.

If they wish to impoverish themselves well there's no law against it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Why? It's their money that they're wasting.

If they wish to impoverish themselves well there's no law against it.

No it isn't. If they can't make a trading profit they are underpricing their goods with the intention of cornering the market. Once they have driven the competition out they will conveniently increase their price.

Uber is an excellent example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

No it isn't. If they can't make a trading profit they are underpricing their goods with the intention of cornering the market. Once they have driven the competition out they will conveniently increase their price.

Uber is an excellent example.

Got you.

I was thinking entirely at the other end of the scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Got you.

I was thinking entirely at the other end of the scale.

My main competitor has been doing this, losing £1m every year. So far six or seven in the industry have fallen and they have bought the IP for pennies.

Hopefully their backers will get bored soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.