• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wight Flight

Does the nation actually want lockdown to end?

After three weeks, I am very surprised how compliant we, as a nation, have become.

Are most people actually enjoying sitting at home with their 80% wages, and their allotted daily walk in the peace and quiet?

When the government announce the masses can go back to work, how many will be truly disappointed?

And how many might actually just not go back?

11 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Are most people actually enjoying sitting at home with their 80% wages, and their allotted daily walk in the peace and quiet?

For those who actually get to do that, i.e. are getting a paid holiday with restrictions, then yes - they're loving it at the moment. Assuming they dont lose anyone to it Covid19 so far has been a great thing for them.

15 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Are most people actually enjoying sitting at home with their 80% wages

No, BUT the lack of traffic has made getting to any work that does come in a pleasure. xD

16 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I'd say that the controlling 40% in my village are loving it and won't want it to end.

Peace, tranquliity, no noisy children, lanes empty for their e-bikes.

However, they will find it increasingly difficult to get anything done for them.

Because they rely upon the 20% of skilled local trades with young families that live in the village to fix their roof, build their shed, mend their pipes, cut their grass, paint their doors, whose lives they have locked down and whom they have mightily pissed orf.

The other 40% of homes are holiday lets.

If there is a fire sale, the locals may return to the centre of the village and tip the power balance.

Now, that will be interesting.

40% holiday lets? Where do live? St ives ? Though that isnt a village if i recall.

(you dont have to answer this question if you dont want to of course)

6 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

40% holiday lets? Where do live? St ives ? Though that isnt a village if i recall.

Forget 40%. We are 75% second home / holiday lets.

It is great in winter and like Fulham on sea in summer.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

When the government announce the masses can go back to work, how many will be truly disappointed?

One advantage of the official lockdown is it gives some workers the chance to avoid putting themselves at risk at work or on their commute.  Once the lockdown is over, it'll be up to their bosses to decide what's safe. Our pre-lockdown experience shows that in general, worker safety is way down the list of priorities. It's going to be very tricky to manage. Some workers will be fired if they don't come in. Others will take collective industrial action, demanding PPE and safer work practices. It'll be a highly disruptive re-adjustment process.

Another effect could be the rediscovery of the benefits of traditional couples/family living, with one breadwinner and one home-maker, as couples who moved in together for the lockdown decide to stay under one roof after it's all over. "Independence".. both partners maintaining their own homes with all the associated costs will start to look like a pointlessly expensive folly when they alternative means one doesn't need to go out to work at all.

Edited by MvR

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

it is a place very similar to St Ives and also a lot smaller

40% holiday lets/second homes - many of the second homes are not holiday lets, as the owners are rich enough to leave them unoccupied for 40 or more weeks a year. These are large properties too.

Edited by Hopeful

51 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Well if they extend the lockdown for the over 60s or over 70s I'd say plenty.

This is a practice retirement for some, they'll either quit or be desperate to go back.

I'm in my 60s and still in demand for my experience, when I and others like me go a lot of it goes with us.

I'm not locked down or furloughed in Norway so apart from working from home little has changed for me.

58 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

For those who actually get to do that, i.e. are getting a paid holiday with restrictions, then yes - they're loving it at the moment. Assuming they dont lose anyone to it Covid19 so far has been a great thing for them.

Less of the assumptions please, since it's me you're actually talking about. I'm completely ambivalent about it since there's nothing I can do to influence the situation. I've basically been rendered human flotsam.

While I’m still being paid.. it’s fine.  Nice in fact.   More time with the family,  more exercise..  all good.

I’m not looking forward to the prospect of a subsequent recession..  or if I lose my job or stop getting paid..  that would be a bit shit too.

I expect there are already people in that position..  and they have my sympathy.

Good question - I'm amazed that the majority of western society have accepted such a drastic change of life in just a couple of months. Also interesting that some rebels (those-who-cant-be-named, yobs, etc) are being allowed to ignore the rules. Lots of folk see this as a paid (or part-paid) holiday, another couple of months living in cramped housing with reduced income will change their views.

I asked the question as I unusually took the whole long weekend off. (Wasn't worth the grief of being stopped on the way to work) and now I really can't be arsed to go in tomorrow. But needs must.

I have no concept of what it would feel like after six weeks, for an employee or even a self employed person.

19 minutes ago, Libspero said:

While I’m still being paid.. it’s fine.  Nice in fact.   More time with the family,  more exercise..  all good.

I’m not looking forward to the prospect of a subsequent recession..  or if I lose my job or stop getting paid..  that would be a bit shit too.

I expect there are already people in that position..  and they have my sympathy.

This is exactly my position.  But my job is at serious risk I think. 

As far as I can tell the people who are enjoying this are mostly retired people or mumsnet types with 16 hours a week non-jobs whose lives mostly revolve around the home and immediate family, and who don't really do much outside the home except walk their dogs (which they can still do). They are also able to regain a sense of moral superiority and a 'cause' which has not been a reality for most people since the death of organised Christianity (which for most people was between 50 and 150 years ago).

I don't think that many will like it though as the weeks wear on and they start missing their regular family meetups, visits to relations, holidays, etc, and when the money starts drying up seriously.

I'm beginning to think the only way we can predict the length of lockdown is by how long HMG is prepared to fund salaries for. So at the moment, it could be up to 3 months, with a six month partial lockdown (which is why things like MOTs may have been extended by six months). I don't think this level of lockdown is sustainable for longer than three months unless the government goes on paying salaries.

Things will never be the same after this.

I have always admired my wife for not being a virtue-signalling cunt, despite her being an avid Facebooker.

But this lock-down shit has finally turned her, and I no longer recognise the woman I married.

What a tin-pot little Hitler she seems to be turning into whenever I choose not to comply with government bullshit, or refuse to clap for the National Hubris Service.

For the times they are a changing...

XYY