• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Care homes

Big fuss as the odd care home, here n there, imploded is a viral outbreak.

I dont think I dont care but Im not really that surprised.

You dont find physically and mentally fit OAPs in care homes.

Bar the odd old lady, filled with piss n bile, most people only last a few months.

Noone's ever come out of a care home alive.

The virus is just returning the UK to the demographics it had in th 90s i.e. a lot less 80 + 90 yos.

I did wonder if this will be the death knell for a lot of care homes as their residents are going to be extremely vulnerable to CV19 so the numbers will plummet and there isn't going to be a sudden surge in demand to compensate.

This effect will last far beyond the current lockdown and the sector will have to contract.

16 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Big fuss as the odd care home, here n there, imploded is a viral outbreak.

I dont think I dont care but Im not really that surprised.

You dont find physically and mentally fit OAPs in care homes.

Bar the odd old lady, filled with piss n bile, most people only last a few months.

Noone's ever come out of a care home alive.

The virus is just returning the UK to the demographics it had in th 90s i.e. a lot less 80 + 90 yos.

Unless it's a film or television drama. Then they are  normal old/ late middle aged people.  Billy Connelly, Pauline  Collins, Maggie Smith and Tom Courtenay for fuck's sake...and a few years back. Have the casting directors never been in an OAP home...guess they wouldn't be attractive enough.

The Guardian has a scary headline figure...It looks bad until you read the article and see the two providers have a total of 481 care homes... Just over one death per home...

#fakenews

"Two of UK's largest care home providers report 521 coronavirus deaths"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/14/uk-care-home-providers-report-521-coronavirus-deaths

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

The Guardian has a scary headline figure...It looks bad until you read the article and see the two providers have a total of 481 care homes... Just over one death per home...

#fakenews

"Two of UK's largest care home providers report 521 coronavirus deaths"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/14/uk-care-home-providers-report-521-coronavirus-deaths

The timing is the critical part if onyjusto infected and these are the first deaths. Twitty Witty out by a country mile and if those major providers don't isolate effectively then all bets are off.

HC-One, which operates about 350 homes, said that as of 8pm on Monday there had been 311 deaths from confirmed or suspected Covid-19, with outbreaks in two thirds of its homes. MHA, a charitable operator, said there have been 210 deaths across 131 homes, with outbreaks in about half of its homes.

The figures contrast both with Monday’s assertion by Chris Whitty, the UK government’s chief medical adviser, that there are outbreaks in one in seven care homes in England and data published weekly by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) which has a 10-day time lag.

There isn't any testing for Covid-19 in care homes worth mentioning, so how does the Grauniad know these numbers are from Covid-19?

The best metric will be (as evidenced today) the number of total deaths vs previous years as all deaths are registered (but not all deaths have had Covid-19 testing beforehand, especially in the community).

15 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

Old peoples homes are waiting rooms for the crematoria and the virus is natures way  of emptying them quickly.

It's as simple as that.

Does that mean that care homes will have excess supply after this?  Might have to reduce their rates so people don't need to sell their other home to pay for care.

Or students might be able to fill them!

Would also be useful to know average residents per home, the figures as usual are garbage data.

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

The timing is the critical part if onyjusto infected and these are the first deaths. Twitty Witty out by a country mile and if those major providers don't isolate effectively then all bets are off.

HC-One, which operates about 350 homes, said that as of 8pm on Monday there had been 311 deaths from confirmed or suspected Covid-19, with outbreaks in two thirds of its homes. MHA, a charitable operator, said there have been 210 deaths across 131 homes, with outbreaks in about half of its homes.

The figures contrast both with Monday’s assertion by Chris Whitty, the UK government’s chief medical adviser, that there are outbreaks in one in seven care homes in England and data published weekly by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) which has a 10-day time lag.

In the thirty seconds of so-called I caught yesterday they were interviewing a care home manager(?) who admitted she had been letting family in to be with terminally ill patients.

I was quite surprised not to see it picked up on here actually.

3 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

I have said it before, and I will say it again. I will never go into a care home. I will have an alternative exit planned.

Still to young at the moment to even contemplate but time goes fucking quickly so may well be like tomorrow or the next day having to.  Saying that it's a few years down the road hopefully and have no idea what things will be like then or even if I'm still around to decide.  It's possible -as most things are really- that the care homes of the future turn into idk ravers paradise or even more outlandish a trip down memory lane for a while courtesy of some in yet designed drug or even black mirror episode san junipero leisure purgatory.

I worked once for a few months in a care home a long time ago and it was largely very depressing (and going by the medical records very depressing for the residents with the amount of anti depressants they were prescribed). One guy I remember though sat quietly in one room had very poor eyesight and bad hearing but loved doing crossword and was pretty good too (you would shout the questions in his ear).  Thh seemed the happiest there even though one of the more incapacitated (not his mind though evidently).

54 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

I have said it before, and I will say it again. I will never go into a care home. I will have an alternative exit planned.

What will your alternative exit be, after you've suffered a major stroke at home, and then after a stay in hospital, you're released to a care home because you can no longer look after yourself?

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I did wonder if this will be the death knell for a lot of care homes as their residents are going to be extremely vulnerable to CV19 so the numbers will plummet and there isn't going to be a sudden surge in demand to compensate.

This effect will last far beyond the current lockdown and the sector will have to contract.

Might get hospitle bed blockers in them faster now but your right could decimate care homes and mental health hospitles like mine 

36 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Might get hospitle bed blockers in them faster now but your right could decimate care homes and mental health hospitles like mine 

This has been a huge issue for the NHS funding. That people aren't moved out to care homes quickly enough.
If there's now capacity then that's good for the NHS. But only if they'll be moved.

2 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

What will your alternative exit be, after you've suffered a major stroke at home, and then after a stay in hospital, you're released to a care home because you can no longer look after yourself?

I have a daughter who is a doctor.

3 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

Living will with a cheque for a trip to dignitas if quality of life is below a personally tolerable threshold?

I'd rather that than be a vegetable with no prospect of improvement. I'd want a second opinion though before they pulled the plug!