DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why are the press briefings so shit?

Wight Flight

Wight Flight

Self explanatory.

Apart from the fact the questions are normally shit, why can I get a better signal face timing my mother in America than these so-called professionals can achieve.

And why, when we have the chancellor hosting, did they not all send their economic editors? What the Feck was the point in Laura K******?

• Agree 2

We need fireworks scantily clad women and ant and dec to say what’s the scores on the doors and let some guests guess the numbers,we could even ask the audience sat on every other seat higher or lower before revealing today’s death toll .

• Agree 5
  • Lol 1

MrLibertyRedux
49 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Self explanatory.

Apart from the fact the questions are normally shit, why can I get a better signal face timing my mother in America than these so-called professionals can achieve.

Because most of them are at their lovely tax payer funded country homes out in the boondocks, or even dare I suggest it, currently residing in their second homes, with shit cell or broadband coverage.

Been a problem for corporate IT helpdesks (public and private sector) across the land since year dot. The problem increases exponentially with seniority, six figure salary and nice weather.

It never occurs to them to be a requirement when they purchased these places.

• Agree 1

Democorruptcy

I nearly got whiplash watching one of the briefings, when Jim Pickard of the FT asked a proper question. Is it right that tax exile Richard Branson who sued the NHS could be in line for a governbankment bailout? That cannot be the question that was handed to him before it went live.

• Agree 4

whitevanman
23 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

We need fireworks scantily clad women and ant and dec to say what’s the scores on the doors and let some guests guess the numbers,we could even ask the audience sat on every other seat higher or lower before revealing today’s death toll .

They could spice it up a bit with a surprise 'Word of the Day' competition. Winner gets a free lunch back at Thames House

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

41 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

All sponsored by Bet365

• Cheers 1

Green Devil
50 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Stokie can be our representative. We'll send you the numbers direct from the dosbods hive mind. Guaranteed winner.

• Agree 1

I did get a laugh when one of the journos was desperately trying to get his microphone working. Rapid troubleshooting but they moved on. I’ve been there.

Austin Allegro
10 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Bit like the coronavirus sub-forum then...?

XYY

LOL! At least we give a bit of commentary and analysis of what's happening and speculation about what might happen. 

The daily press briefings seem there mainly to keep the sense of national crisis going and to give Pestonlential, Doomsberg et al something to do from their holiday cottages.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

LOL! At least we give a bit of commentary and analysis of what's happening and speculation about what might happen. 

The daily press briefings seem there mainly to keep the sense of national crisis going and to give Pestonlential, Doomsberg et al something to do from their holiday cottages.

I wouldn't mind so much but the questions are what can we "point scare" with today rather than anything useful.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight

They should have a graph of loans applied for v. Loans approved.

No need to create it. Just use the one they already have for South Korean and American deaths.

• Agree 2

stop_the_craziness

Today's one was ace.  Rishi opened up with (and I paraphrase) "The OBR have made some **** up that may turn out to be completely untrue but I'm going to say it anyway and if it turns out to be b******s then you can't say you weren't warned it was nonsense."

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
9 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Today's one was ace.  Rishi opened up with (and I paraphrase) "The OBR have made some **** up that may turn out to be completely untrue but I'm going to say it anyway and if it turns out to be b******s then you can't say you weren't warned it was nonsense."

Just as good was when he was asked about England nicking Scotland's PPE.

Quoting the Scottish guy calling it bollocks answers the question whilst avoiding any responsibility.

The man may go far.

• Agree 1

It's must be pure pleasure for someone behind the scenes to tweak something to kill the sound feed from these journos.

You know now how groups of men were allowed to get away with what they did when this the level of TOP journalists the UK has.

comparing the UK's daily briefings with the US and Australia is fucking embarrassing.  The Australias have one from the PM, one from the Health Minister, and then on social media one from a doctor to break it down for the masses.  All on message, very clear, and not bullshitting.  the US one is 2-3 hours, lots of detail, fair degree of bullshit from Trump, but loads of tough questions from journalists handled by trump and the team.

The UK one seems to be more like an AGM where the Board are trying to say how great they are to get a raise, and the questions from the audience have all been planted.