DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

WW2 memorabilia

ElKapitan84

ElKapitan84

Specifically, German kit.  I watched Bruce Crompton the other day buy a German WW2 helmet for £8,000.  A fucking helmet.  Granted, it was an SS Das Reich helmet with camo (the Germans didn't start getting into that until fairly late).  He sold a MKV Panzer (Panther) for £14 million.

This is something I'd love to get into, it's lucrative as hell for those who know the ropes, which seems to be a case of fake spotting? 

Not an excuse to have the spare room looking like this.  For investment purposes...

Cx3_f1IWIAATtLF.jpg

When I used to go to the car boot each week (none of that now with this lockdown), there would be two regular lorries that would unload house clearance usually from someone who had passed away.

One of the regular punters I talk to would specifically look for war items, helmets, uniforms, gear, tools etc. Then he would run a little stall somewhere (I guess on a Saturday/ at fares) and resell. I don't think he's made a fortune, more of a side hobby that is profitable. 

I try to take a look at any local general antiques auctions near me. Usually 3 or 4 a month. Sometimes buy things to keep but I also will buy anything I think I can sell on via ebay for a profit. Anything military is worth checking out. Have done very well with a WW1 german belt and buckle (bought in a mixed lot for about £30, sold for £80), pair of British WW2 era canvas naval flags (bought for about £60, sold for £150) and also 3 sets of WW2 flying goggles (did really well these - can't quite remember though without checking - had a couple of beers this evening :)). I also got a couple of Bairnsfather WW1 bowls more or less free in a lot and then flogged them on for £90.

Got some very nice U boat binoculars which I am keeping for now as they are fully working. Unbelievable build quality. Worth quite a bit.

Not military related, but nothing beats a collection of 1974 world cup programmes I bought about 15 years ago for £20. Sold them on for about £2,000. People went berserk when I listed them on ebay (probably worth less now....)

Had a bronze buddha (budai) on a wooden stand in my sights at Christmas in a Hull auction. I bottled it at about £600. Regretted it afterwards as I was convinced it was proper old. Bet it got sold on in London for thousands....

Will be keeping a very close eye on auctions when they fire back up. I think there will be some great buys if money gets tight.

I would never feel regret for too long with dealing with old things and missing out on a big profit.

It is better to keep the turnover good, enjoy the item whilst it is in your possession, and keep turning a small profit. You might get lucky one time with a big win item, and that's all part of the fun.

I don't regret it really. I was out of my depth with this particular item.

I'm surprised more people don't bid at general antiques auctions. All sorts of good stuff to be had. Even bought wine and whiskey before now.

Very addictive though - you need to be disciplined. 

1 hour ago, Royston said:

Where could one buy a piece of Nazi memorabilia?

I'm guessing ebay etc don't allow it.

(Asking for a friend)

In general antiques auctions and surprisingly common as well. Daggers, medals, all sorts really. From what I've seen, quite expensive stuff. Go to the-saleroom.com and use the search facility.

20 hours ago, Royston said:

Where could one buy a piece of Nazi memorabilia?

I'm guessing ebay etc don't allow it.

(Asking for a friend)

You can start off with confederate stuff then work onwards 

Transistor Man
On 19/04/2020 at 19:32, Sasquatch said:

Got some very nice U boat binoculars which I am keeping for now as they are fully working. Unbelievable build quality. Worth quite a bit.

We have similar, I think. Carl Zeiss Jena, but from a Search Tower or Flak Tower.

like these, but in much better condition. 

image.jpeg.c26b024381d41c8b000baa678c2d19af.jpeg

On 24/04/2020 at 15:13, Transistor Man said:

We have similar, I think. Carl Zeiss Jena, but from a Search Tower or Flak Tower.

like these, but in much better condition. 

image.jpeg.c26b024381d41c8b000baa678c2d19af.jpeg

Been watching a pair on ebay, albeit with a nice leather case. Sold for £975!

• 4 weeks later...
Austin Allegro

I've got a pair of US Army binoculars from the First World War. Great quality and still work very well. Ebay tells me they are only worth about £30 or so though.I guess lots were made and then sold cheaply on the surplus market.

I also have one of those 'Held in Honour' death scrolls from HM the King. They go for about £40 on Ebay. It was sent to a friend of my grandmother's whose husband was killed in the war. I only met the lady a few times and of course never knew her husband, so it's not like he's a close relation or anything, but I would feel a bit bad about selling it.

Sold a couple more WW2 related items on ebay. £40 for a pair of US military training manuals. Heading over to a buyer France. People still spending money.

Loads of WW2 stuff coming up at a local antiques auction soon. I will need to stay disciplined.....

Archived