• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Sharepoint

Sharepoint... I mean times are trying enough working with Covid-19 stalking the world like the four fuckin' horsemen but then your IT dept tells you the corporate standard for document sharing is Share-fucking-point. Only you can only really use it if you are on windows and using Internet Explorer.

So it is like some application built for another age, why? It's only a friggin' CMS as far as I can see, not rocket salad.

8 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

Sharepoint... I mean times are trying enough working with Covid-19 stalking the world like the four fuckin' horsemen but then your IT dept tells you the corporate standard for document sharing is Share-fucking-point. Only you can only really use it if you are on windows and using Internet Explorer.

So it is like some application built for another age, why? It's only a friggin' CMS as far as I can see, not rocket salad.

It is utterly shit.  I had to fix some useless cunts code that interfaced stored and retrieved documents from sharepoint.  Given what it was doing it was never going to be good but the code had been written using some horrible functional extension for C#.  Shit piled on shit.

9 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

IIRC Sharepoint started off as a wiki, a MS wiki. Mainly to stop people going LAMP way., get a MS product in that space.

Then they had to justify the cost, so it became some sort of CMS system, also to get an MS product in that space.. Just rework some of the code.

Then it sort of became a vague thing, which was heavily sold to all the idiot MS shops , who adopted as it 'integrates' with the current MS investments.

I avoid MS for anything that needs outside of client software on windows. Clusterfuck.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

IIRC Sharepoint started off as a wiki, a MS wiki. Mainly to stop people going LAMP way., get a MS product in that space.

Then they had to justify the cost, so it became some sort of CMS system, also to get an MS product in that space.. Just rework some of the code.

Then it sort of became a vague thing, which was heavily sold to all the idiot MS shops , who adopted as it 'integrates' with the current MS investments.

I avoid MS for anything that needs outside of client software on windows. Clusterfuck.

What a surprise - spygirl thinks it's shit. Is there anything you think is actually any good?

The reason MS win is because they're getting office productivity software right i.e. it's absolutely not shit. For a few years I've been on a project with over 100 people on it, guess how we all communicate and manage the data? Office 365 - Sharepoint, onedrive, Excel, word, powerpoint, outlook all works perfectly well.

Don't know where the OP gets the idea it only works with explorer - it actually integrates better with Chrome.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Haven't seen a single SharePoint implementation that wasn't the wrong product for whatever requirement it was and not a total and utter clusterfuck across the board in every other way.

There be Dragons.

It's good if you're preparing a presentation across documents with multiple edits going on or as a storgae of cross-department projects.

It is however absolutely terrible for big spreadsheets and in particular ones with links because the links don't work.

Just now, MrLibertyRedux said:

Haven't seen a single SharePoint implementation that wasn't the wrong product for whatever requirement it was and not a total and utter clusterfuck across the board in every other way.

There be Dragons.

I love comments like this - total bullshit rhetoric. I know loads of companies who use it and it all works perfectly well.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Don't know where the OP gets the idea it only works with explorer - it actually integrates better with Chrome.

Does it? Not according to the Microsoft website, only read only access to sharepoint but I'll give it a whirl later.

Edited by Dave Bloke

Hahahaha - try using Projectwise when it has been setup by a fuckwit who has used the document description field for the clients document numbers and you can't find anything unless you know the actual document number which is 26 characters long.

14 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

What a surprise - spygirl thinks it's shit. Is there anything you think is actually any good?

The reason MS win is because they're getting office productivity software right i.e. it's absolutely not shit. For a few years I've been on a project with over 100 people on it, guess how we all communicate and manage the data? Office 365 - Sharepoint, onedrive, Excel, word, powerpoint, outlook all works perfectly well.

Python n Erlang OTP are fantastic.

Sos C++14.

I really like the BSDs too, especially th hYve stuff.

And Im a big fam of MS Azure hypervisor.

MS products work well, till they dont.

10 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I love comments like this - total bullshit rhetoric. I know loads of companies who use it and it all works perfectly well.

Depends on what size company and used for what.

I'm talking minimum 5000 users upwards.

Not small teams exchanging documents, and I'm not including the rest of Office 365, just the Sharepoint product itself (cloud or on premise).

Only last year I saw one well known household name trying to use it for an Intranet, but with all the bells and whistles you would expect today. Unmitigated disaster.

Not Rhetoric. I've seen this sort of shit that many times it's like Groundhog Day, without being able to make the subtle daily changes.

16 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

You have to be very careful with these sort of products from MS

Any MS product that is built on network/distributed is a total PITA.

The MS network stuff, starting at the TCP/IP stack, going thru to distributed sharepoint and any clustering is a total fuckup.

MS dont understand state esp. in a distributed network.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

You have to be very careful with these sort of products from MS

Any MS product that is built on network/distributed is a total PITA.

The MS network stuff, starting at the TCP/IP stack, going thru to distributed sharepoint and any clustering is a total fuckup.

MS dont understand state esp. in a distributed network.

https://incubaid.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/the-game-of-distributed-systems-programming-which-level-are-you/

MS are at level 1.

And stuck there, as they keep losing experienced staff.

58 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://incubaid.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/the-game-of-distributed-systems-programming-which-level-are-you/

MS are at level 1.

And stuck there, as they keep losing experienced staff.

This is why I love your posts. Intel make shit chips, MS don't know how to program, I suspect you would also claim that Amazon don't know anything about E-Commerce and Google aren't all that hot at AI.

It's just contrarian BS.

2 hours ago, MaxTheCat said:

It is utterly shit.

We routinely refer to it as Shitpoint. Ours is rubbish although I have no idea whether because it is inherently bad or if we're just using/installed it wrong. The top nobs keep telling us how its brilliance will drive dynamically agile digital behaviours and so on, but everyone still thinks it's clunky and it's basically not getting used.

4 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

This is why I love your posts. Intel make shit chips, MS don't know how to program, I suspect you would also claim that Amazon don't know anything about E-Commerce and Google aren't all that hot at AI.

It's just contrarian BS.

For the silicon they use and capital cost of their fabs, Intel really *do* make shit chips.

Intel are are very good at fabricating silicon. They are awful at designing chips.

And I say that as an ex Green badge - intel contract worker, brought in to unfuck their chip design.

MS really do have a problem with designing and supporting their code base.

Amazon shareholdes dont know much about ecommerce, they are the ones underwriting the amazon captial cost.

I dont know much about Googles AI effort. 

Just now, spygirl said:

For the silicon they use and capital cost of their fabs, Intel really *do* make shit chips.

Intel are are very good at fabricating silicon. They are awful at designing chips.

And I say that as an ex Green badge - intel contract worker, brought in to unfuck their chip design.

MS really do have a problem with designing and supporting their code base.

Amazon shareholdes dont know much about ecommerce, they are the ones underwriting the amazon captial cost.

I dont know much about Googles AI effort. 

Course you were.

3 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

We routinely refer to it as Shitpoint. Ours is rubbish although I have no idea whether because it is inherently bad or if we're just using/installed it wrong. The top nobs keep telling us how its brilliance will drive dynamically agile digital behaviours and so on, but everyone still thinks it's clunky and it's basically not getting used.

At my co. departments who dealt primarily with word or pdf documents used it extensively because its functionality suited them.

Departments who handled large amounts of numerical data, including but not limited to finance, only used it when collaborating with the other departments.

I nearly bought one piece of software last year because in the initial demonstration it appeared to be a simple robust database which was just what I wanted as a step up from the existing spreadsheets; less margin to make mistakes and simple enough that other departments would be happy to use it because they wouldn't have to undergo any more than five minutes of training.

At the follow up detailed presentation the programmer turned up to show off all the extra bells and whistes that he had added and of which he was so proud.

As that was precisely what I didn't want I didn't buy it.

Horses for courses and anyone who claims they have a softwrae solution for everything, like the dreadful ERP systems, needs to be rapidly ushered out of the door by security.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I think it depends on the version of sharepoint the OP's company has.

The old ones are shite, if, however, you are using the cloud version it's as good as anything else around. Heck teams is basically Sharepoint, onedrive (which is sharepoint), AD security groups, and Lync (moved to decent, scalable hardware)

Microsoft has 2 core weaknesses, a marketing department that is still after 20 years clueless on how to name products and a set of legacy crap that need to continue to be supported but causes a world of pain. I know in my expertise (PowerApps / Dynamics 365) things that were planned for replacement 5 years ago are only now been deprecated and removed.

Edited by eek

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

At my co. departments who dealt primarily with word or pdf documents used it extensively because its functionality suited them.

Departments who handled large amounts of numerical data, including but not limited to finance, only used it when collaborating with the other departments.

I nearly bought one piece of software last year because in the initial demonstration it appeared to be a simple robust database which was just what I wanted as a step up from the existing spreadsheets; less margin to make mistakes and simple enough that other departments would be happy to use it because they wouldn't have to undergo any more than five minutes of training.

For that sort of target (replacing spreadsheets) Microsoft's PowerApps could be perfect at its core it's just the modern version of Access - most people try to sell it as more than that though to justify their existence. 

And as your saw most salesmen don't know when to shut up. What they need to do is find out the problem, convince the customer that their can solve it then shut up.

Edited by eek

24 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I was.

Ask me a question of Intel business practise and Ill probably answer it.

You'll answer anything on any subject Billy Bullshit.

Usually contradicting it by making up things that have a smattering of plausibility, put forward with your unique brand of ultra confidence. 

When called out, you just continue to "double down" on your lies.

You're one of my favourite posters on here - but not for the reasons you think.

XYY

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

You'll answer anything on any subject Billy Bullshit.

Usually contradicting it by making up things that have a smattering of plausibility, put forward with your unique brand of ultra confidence. 

When called out, you just continue to "double down" on your lies.

You're one of my favourite posters on here - but not for the reasons you think.

XYY

Ah but cunty chops youll note I only comment on a small number oft topics.