• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Solar Panels?

No idea if these are any good. The description says they don't work without being connected to the mains which is off putting.

5k for 8kw anyway but also note thats 30m long [says 30 x panels of 1650x990] more than most houses could take therefore I guess.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153730771944?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=153730771944&targetid=877031938306&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046001&poi=&campaignid=9437836064&mkgroupid=94116221165&rlsatarget=pla-877031938306&abcId=1140486&merchantid=115582189&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-LMmpqQ6AIVhYxRCh3lpwJwEAYYBCABEgKnRfD_BwE

10kw is very big; it's roughly four panels per kW so that's forty panels.

I would guess about £12k.

I have a 4kW system / 16 panels but it was really the tariff payment that made me buy them (c. 14% tax free index-linked return for twenty years) though it does cut electricty bills too.

Why would he want a 10kW system?  Something like a kettle / toaster / microwave draws roughly 1kW and a washing machine on full spin peaks about the same, maybe 2kW for an immersion heater on full belt.

Does he have a blast furnace?

2 minutes ago, BWW said:

The description says they don't work without being connected to the mains which is off putting.

That's for safety so that if there is a power cut then the guy repairing it is not working on a live wire coming from the panels.

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's for safety so that if there is a power cut then the guy repairing it is not working on a live wire coming from the panels.

It's because the inverter has to synchronise to the mains, to feed in.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's because the inverter has to synchronise to the mains, to feed in.

I used to repair inverters and motor drives 20-odd years ago, and still struggle getting my head round exactly how regen works.

I just about get it at block diagram level, but controlling all the electronics and stopping them from being blown to kingdom come still seems like "white-man's magic" to me...

XYY

9 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I used to repair inverters and motor drives 20-odd years ago, and still struggle getting my head round exactly how regen works.

I just about get it at block diagram level, but controlling all the electronics and stopping them from being blown to kingdom come still seems like "white-man's magic" to me...

XYY

I've got just the man for that...

Paging Spygirl, paging Spygirl...

Posted (edited)

I did some solar experimenting, using a large 18v panel, to supply the 12v power to a whole load of devices, from routers, to phones, to laptops, door entry system, LED lighting (it's crazy how many 12v devices I have).

I rated the panel for this at double the maximum load on all the 12v devices. Now bare in mind this is DC, no inverters needed, very little in the way of losses, run everything during the day, charge a battery too and we're good at night,........  At least that's the theory.
It worked to an extent, but it just wasn't cost efficient, hardly ever enough sunlight here in the UK, and this panel/etc only cost me £90 plus some parts I already had. If it can't work at cost price on a small scale, then how can I expect it to work on a large scale at commercial prices?

I've looked at mini wind turbines and preliminary calculations suggest it'd be much more efficient than solar, but we're not allowed to put wind turbines on our houses.......

The whole thing is a con IMO, it'd work nicely in Australia for running AC in the summer months, but Aussies don't want them, there has to be a reason why a no non-sense nation like Australia, isn't too keen on solar power.......

Edited by Snark

7 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

Synchronisation Lamps??. ... I don’t know. Power electronics is impressive stuff. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Transistor Man said:

Synchronisation Lamps??. ... I don’t know. Power electronics is impressive stuff. 

Indeed it is.

The biggest item I ever repaired was a "soft-start" controller for Northumbria Water that was the size of a decent wardrobe. The MOSFET output blocks were fried, and it took me nearly a day to strip the cabinet down to get at them. 

The unit's purpose was to very slowly ramp up the frequency of a PWM synthesised three-phase voltage supply to a huge motor that would slowly open or close some massive metal doors that controlled the flow of a local reservoir. New blocks and fresh set of DC bus capacitors, and it was as good as new.

Those were the days.

And nowadays I'm a Test Engineer responsible for machines that test 12 and 24 Volt automotive ECUs in a car-parts plant. Fucking toys...

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

Posted (edited)

I've got a little under 1KW of solar on the boat. In summer it powers the computer, fridge / freezer, lights, pumps etc, and still have plenty to spare. In the depths of winter it can't even run the laptop all day.

Look at narrowboat suppliers for proper off-grid solar setups. They're not worth it if all you're trying to do is save on your electricity bill, but if it's a prepping measure so you can keep things running during a power outage, a boat setup is ideal. 

https://www.bimblesolar.com

Edited by MvR

10 hours ago, BWW said:

No idea if these are any good. The description says they don't work without being connected to the mains which is off putting.

5k for 8kw anyway but also note thats 30m long [says 30 x panels of 1650x990] more than most houses could take therefore I guess.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153730771944?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=153730771944&targetid=877031938306&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046001&poi=&campaignid=9437836064&mkgroupid=94116221165&rlsatarget=pla-877031938306&abcId=1140486&merchantid=115582189&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-LMmpqQ6AIVhYxRCh3lpwJwEAYYBCABEgKnRfD_BwE

Who is selling them?

Same photo on other listing

Ate they dodgy?

Just now, sarahbell said:

Who is selling them?

Same photo on other listing

Ate they dodgy?

No idea. I was just looking for an idea of what panels cost.

I tend to assume everything from scambay is dodgy but others tell me most is OK.

No idea who would be a reputable supplier, buying somewhere like screwfix or johnlewis doesn't seem to be an option which is my usual way to avoid the dodgy. #toountrusting

Solar panels are dirt cheap now. I’ve recently bought some for my campervan and you can buy 410w panels for around £130 each now. The Achilles heel is still storing the energy, hence grid tie inverters otherwise you’re looking at thousands in batteries. 

4 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

Solar panels are dirt cheap now. I’ve recently bought some for my campervan and you can buy 410w panels for around £130 each now. The Achilles heel is still storing the energy, hence grid tie inverters otherwise you’re looking at thousands in batteries. 

The best way to store the excess is to heat up your water tank. I did the calculations on using batteries and it is not worth it, even if you DIY it rather than buying the easier to install option. Over 10 years to break even without taking the decline in the batteries storage capacity into account. 

solarimmersion.co.uk/

6 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

You only need to store enough to see you through the night.  In fact too much storage means you'll never properly recharge your batteries. A couple of Trojan T-105s ( 6v each, so put them in series for a 12v system ) could be enough. Personally I have 4 T-105s, to go with my 960w solar, and they prove a good match.  And they'll last 10 years of daily use.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/industrial-batteries/trojan/t-105/

6 minutes ago, MvR said:

You only need to store enough to see you through the night.  In fact too much storage means you'll never properly recharge your batteries. A couple of Trojan T-105s ( 6v each, so put them in series for a 12v system ) could be enough. Personally I have 4 T-105s, to go with my 960w solar, and they prove a good match.  And they'll last 10 years of daily use.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/industrial-batteries/trojan/t-105/

That's ideal for a summer-used boat or camper van.

For domestic the battery needs to be able to store so much to cope with the seasons that I can't see it ever getting there.

In effect the National Grid is the battery because it pays for electriicty fed in in summer and then charges for electricity drawn in winter.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's ideal for a summer-used boat or camper van.

For domestic the battery needs to be able to store so much to cope with the seasons that I can't see it ever getting there.

In effect the National Grid is the battery because it pays for electriicty fed in in summer and then charges for electricity drawn in winter.

I reckon that we will have to wait for improvements in solar cell performance in overcast conditions. Doubtless it's something that will come but not yet. 

Might well come before a rechargeable battery that kills off the ICE.😀