Jump to content
DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Childrens mountain bike or small adult (xs).


longtomsilver

Recommended Posts

longtomsilver

My soon to be 10 year old daughter has told me that she wants a new mountain bike for her birthday in *June. We normally get Isla bikes but they've shot up in price and I refuse to pay £899 for a Creig 27. Now thinking outside the box would an Adult Specialized Rockhopper size XS be comparable and suitable for my 4'8" tall daughter with an inside leg measurement of 69cm. The Creig has a minimum inside leg of 71cm vs 71.9cm for the Rockhopper which retails at £630 and I'll probably get £50 of extras thrown in to the deal, ordinarily I'd go to the store and try them out but we're in lock-down.

*growing at ~1cm over the previous 6 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buy a cheap one from Ebay -- there are always loads of bikes where the child has outgrown them.

Kids mainly want to have fun on bikes -- it is a completely different requirement to the majority of adults (where the main requirement appears to be how well the bike stays in the garage).  They also leave them lying around and expensive bikes are thief magnets.

Getting an older bike can also build actually useful like skills like doing basic maintenance.

[I hate bikes for kids.  Really they need a fixed gear or perhaps a hub gear, but no, they all want derailleurs to the extent that you can only really get derailleurs.  And then you get those cries of 'what gear am I in?' and the related 'what gear should I be in?'.  And the inability to change gear well anyway, etc.  The old transition from fixed -> hub -> derailleur used to work really well.]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

longtomsilver

Thanks guys and girls, I think you've steered me in the right direction and I'm going to go for the cheaper Specialized bike, if it's the wrong size then it won't be for long. She also prefers the pink/lilac over the Creig. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gloommonger

Dropping £600 on a bike for a 10 year old is madness especially at this moment in time. Get one off gumtree or ebay or rent one from bike club.co, you can change the bike as she grows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

longtomsilver
1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

A DOSBODder asking the forum for advice about purchasing a bike, and then making a decision after only three posts that didn't actually give that much advice...?

Sorry mate, but I'm not buying that like.

This has never happened before in the entire history of DOSBODS. it is unique, and totally unparalleled. There's a rabbit off here, make no mistake.

And my best theory at the moment is that you just want to brag about how much you are willing to spend on a push-bike for a ten year old. But I guess I could be wrong.

Me, I'd spend 50 quid maximum on a second-hand one.

Because it'll end up in the shed with all the other shite you've paid top dollar for within two months...

 

XYY

I'm not bragging at all, her old bike that I paid £500 for (Isla Beinn) will sell for £300 and I'll find the few hundred quid needed in my budget for the upgrade between now and June. I wanted to go for the XS anyway, there has been a huge uptake in cycling because of the lockdown and all the good brands are close to sold out in most sizes so I feel a sense of urgency without the luxury of being able to visit a showroom. I ride a Specialized Rockhopper myself and you can find a new 2018 or 2019 model with 30% off the RRP of almost any high end bike, there just aren't any at the moment because of demand. That way I paid £500 for a bile coloured Rockhopper Expert that normally retails for £800 (now £850 *inflation), it is perfect for long rides and will be good for a lifetime. Yesterday, I rode 40miles along the canal meeting a friend half way for a few beers and a pasty (groups of 2 allowed) and he made the trip on his trusty old Raleigh 3-speed (Sturmy-Archer) that he paid £8 for. I'd like my children to have a fighting chance of keeping up on some of the rides.

*first proper mountain bike (cough, it was junk/Emmelle) bought in 1988 cost my father £90-100 which using the BoE economical with the truth inflation index is £230 equivalent in today's money, realistically it'd be more like £300-400 so I'm not far off with expectations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome
1 hour ago, longtomsilver said:

I'm not bragging at all, her old bike that I paid £500 for (Isla Beinn) will sell for £300

I concur - that’s what I paid for a second hand one. Great bike for my eight-year-old - lightweight. I’m holding out on getting a bigger size as demand will drop along with prices - once everyone has run out of money :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome
7 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Now listen here Captain Ostentatious - I can easily afford to pay that for a bike, but it's a fucking bike.

For a bairn of eight.

Are you fucking insane...?

 

XYY

Resale value - even third-hand commands a decent price, as long as the little fucker doesn’t damage it when she crashes.

At least kids aren’t into ghost riding - I used to love doing that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome
14 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Are you fucking insane...?

I spent £4K building my mountain bike, and that was back in ‘97 - absolutely amazing bike that still hold its own against the new designs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome
1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

We didn't sell our kids' bikes on. We gave them away to poorer kids when our bairns got too big for them.

They can sniff it, but no touching.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome
10 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

It's a push-bike for fuck's sake.

I regard four thousand pounds as more than enough for a half decent second-hand car...!

;)

 

XYY

It’s an amazing piece of equipment - titanium frame, cnc cold-drawn aluminium a-head, etc... (x-lite). Still a top spec bike, even after 23 years!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/04/2020 at 02:09, The XYY Man said:

So is my arse - but no fucker's offering me four grand for that...!

Can we assume that Mr XYYs back passage is for sale at a bargain price of only £4000   ??

Form an orderly queue here please gentlemen.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Popuplights
On 16/04/2020 at 19:02, OurDayWillCome said:

lightweight

This is the most important factor for a kids bike. They will struggle riding a boat anchor steel frame POS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/04/2020 at 01:47, OurDayWillCome said:

It’s an amazing piece of equipment - titanium frame, cnc cold-drawn aluminium a-head, etc... (x-lite). Still a top spec bike, even after 23 years!

Sadly, I feel that bike tech has come along so far that a £4000 late 90's bike would get utterly obliterated by a modern £800 bike, especially when it comes to brakes and suspension. I recently rode my 90's dream bike, a pro-flex animal, and it wasn't  patch on my 2006 full sus £1200 Kona, and that is like riding a truck compared to my 2019 Canyon hardtail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OurDayWillCome
3 hours ago, Snark said:

Sadly, I feel that bike tech has come along so far that a £4000 late 90's bike would get utterly obliterated by a modern £800 bike, especially when it comes to brakes and suspension. I recently rode my 90's dream bike, a pro-flex animal, and it wasn't  patch on my 2006 full sus £1200 Kona, and that is like riding a truck compared to my 2019 Canyon hardtail.

Mine still holds its own against modern bikes that cost thousands. It has superb xtr gears and brakes - very low maintenance. The strength to weight ratio is formidable. It was built as a hybrid - it can handle the trails or the road.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

My eldest kids were bought their first proper bikes by my parents.  But they bought them from Tesco's, several sizes too big (so they could grow in to them).  While that was indeed cheap (zero cost to me), the kids mostly fell off them and didn't learn to ride bikes at all until they were 8.

For the youngest, we bought a second hand Isla bike (which has, for example, specially made smaller brake handles so the small children can actually apply brakes), much better learning experience (and we bother to take her out on the bike).  When she grows out of it, the cost to change to the next Isla bike up is about £50.

Having said that, we visited a school in Cambodia and all the tiny kids travelled to school on full sized adult bikes, just without ever managing to reach the saddles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

longtomsilver
On 15/05/2020 at 21:03, Inigo said:

My eldest kids were bought their first proper bikes by my parents.  But they bought them from Tesco's, several sizes too big (so they could grow in to them).  While that was indeed cheap (zero cost to me), the kids mostly fell off them and didn't learn to ride bikes at all until they were 8.

For the youngest, we bought a second hand Isla bike (which has, for example, specially made smaller brake handles so the small children can actually apply brakes), much better learning experience (and we bother to take her out on the bike).  When she grows out of it, the cost to change to the next Isla bike up is about £50.

Having said that, we visited a school in Cambodia and all the tiny kids travelled to school on full sized adult bikes, just without ever managing to reach the saddles.

Isla bikes while fantastic are a little bubbly further up the range, especially as they're delivered directly from the manufacturer with all assembly happening overseas. £900 about £250 more than for the equivalent Adult Specialized in xs so they've lost me as a customer to Frog and I got two, my daughters birthday is in a few weeks and we needed to do something together. The old Isla bike contributed to the purchase, plus a deposit left £750 over 24 months or £31p/month so I'm not mister moneybags @The XYY Man that'll be offset against money that would have been burned doing other things elsewhere.

d2e350a66bd0a2276ac890d56aa49e6b.0.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I was a bit shocked at the prices as they get close to full size bikes.  I'd heard of Frog, I'll have a look at them when we next need a bigger bike, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip

I was asked a few days ago for advice of a bike for a 13 year old lad. Parents wanted to pay £300 tops. Lad liked bikes with chunky tyres.

Found a perfectly good adult mtb from Halfords for £275. 158 reviews, most of them from parents saying that they bought one for their 14 year old son. I then found a few brands in that price bracket.

Kids' bikes, as other have mentioned, are a rip-off. When I search Rutland's site for bikes they often put up a load of bikes for kids and you see these toddler bikes cost £400 plus. Someone must pay it.

Passed a perfectly good bike outside someone's house a few days ago with a £5 sign on it. I always recommend people to go on gumtree when buying bikes for their children.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

longtomsilver
11 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was asked a few days ago for advice of a bike for a 13 year old lad. Parents wanted to pay £300 tops. Lad liked bikes with chunky tyres.

Found a perfectly good adult mtb from Halfords for £275. 158 reviews, most of them from parents saying that they bought one for their 14 year old son. I then found a few brands in that price bracket.

Kids' bikes, as other have mentioned, are a rip-off. When I search Rutland's site for bikes they often put up a load of bikes for kids and you see these toddler bikes cost £400 plus. Someone must pay it.

Passed a perfectly good bike outside someone's house a few days ago with a £5 sign on it. I always recommend people to go on gumtree when buying bikes for their children.

I spotted a couple of young(ish) lads on some very slick looking Chris Boardman mountain bikes recently, thought I'd missed an opportunity to save some cash and looked at the price of them, they've gone premium premium so people must be buying them over and above the price point where they once sat at.

There's a major advantage to be had with lighter, more expensive bikes where children are concerned... they want to be out on them more often, anecdotally speaking. Edit: mine were bought via R U T L A N D and the experience was 2*/5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip
23 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I spotted a couple of young(ish) lads on some very slick looking Chris Boardman mountain bikes recently, thought I'd missed an opportunity to save some cash and looked at the price of them, they've gone premium premium so people must be buying them over and above the price point where they once sat at.

There's a major advantage to be had with lighter, more expensive bikes where children are concerned... they want to be out on them more often, anecdotally speaking. Edit: mine were bought via R U T L A N D and the experience was 2*/5.

 

Bikes used to be a cheap form of transport. Those days are long gone all things considered. One of the few things that has soared in price despite being mass produced in Asia.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Bikes used to be a cheap form of transport. Those days are long gone all things considered. One of the few things that has soared in price despite being mass produced in Asia.

It's always been possible to spend loads of money on a top end bike, it's just that the market for super bikes has increased hugely over the last ten years and there are more people out and about on top end bikes.

Bikes still can be very cheap, but people who actually use their bikes day in, day out, generally don't want to tool about on a lump of pig iron that cost a hundred quid in Halfords. My commute bike might have cost a couple of grand, but there are plenty of people at work who spend more than that on a rail pass and have nothing to show for it at the end of the year - and they probably pay to use a gym as well, which you don't need to do if you ride a lot.

Not that you have to spend two grand - £500 will get you a very respectable machine that will ride just as well as something that cost £1000+ ten years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mental Floss
11 hours ago, AWW said:

It's always been possible to spend loads of money on a top end bike, it's just that the market for super bikes has increased hugely over the last ten years and there are more people out and about on top end bikes.

Bikes still can be very cheap, but people who actually use their bikes day in, day out, generally don't want to tool about on a lump of pig iron that cost a hundred quid in Halfords. My commute bike might have cost a couple of grand, but there are plenty of people at work who spend more than that on a rail pass and have nothing to show for it at the end of the year - and they probably pay to use a gym as well, which you don't need to do if you ride a lot.

Not that you have to spend two grand - £500 will get you a very respectable machine that will ride just as well as something that cost £1000+ ten years ago.

Really? My view is the taxpayer bung cycle to work has distorted the market horribly at a particular price point. Even barring for inflation. Prior to the scheme going mass market I picked up a Breezer steel hardtail 29'er with XT components for a little over £900. A cracking bike. I couldn't buy near that quality for the same money now. Similarly with my last Trek carbon hybrid. Excellent bike (though as it turned out woefully fragile with a meaningless warranty) but I couldn't buy the same spec for anything less than £1300 new and I paid £999.

Despite the bike industry insisting that things are better now they're busy designing in problems. For example disc brakes are fine until they are not. Caliper / V brakes are so much easier to maintain and bodge in an emergency but getting a bike with anything other than infernal squeaky unreliable discs is getting ever more difficult. The marginal gains in stopping power aren't near enough to justify the faff for the average user but the industry sets direction not the customer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...