DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DOSBODS Pets Corner

maffo

23 hours ago, maffo said:

I've had a few over the years, this one being the biggest, 17.3hh Irish Draught by the name of Travis

13178736_10153436232546246_7074031452017946902_n.jpgDSC_0227.JPG

Wonderful - love horses.

Always wanted one to ride as a kid, but has an adult I have understood that unless one is properly loaded it's too much money and requires a LOT of time/effort.  So getting the horse is the easiest part! (Plus my OH hates horses!)

We have got 2 abandoned young mutts instead. Very sweet and keep us busy. Still costing us a surprisingly large amount in  food, worm & tick tablets, vaccinations and harnesses. (Considering they are small and not some delicate pure breeds.)

I have at least stopped buying them dog toys (ripped to pieces in no time) and am now sewing "squeakers" (from a pack of 50 I ordered online, from Thailand) into old socks and re-using the white nylony stuffing which I collect up from around the garden as necessary!

23 hours ago, Shamone said:

I’ve always wanted a capybara.

C77F9658-F2AA-4DE7-B88F-EC08A2824C02.jpeg

Get a guinea pig? (Near enough?!)

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, whocares said:

Wonderful - love horses.

Always wanted one to ride as a kid, but has an adult I have understood that unless one is properly loaded it's too much money and requires a LOT of time/effort.  So getting the horse is the easiest part! (Plus my OH hates horses!)

:)

Horses can be quite reasonable to keep if you are able to DIY, all-in including feed,worming, shoes, insurance etc worked out to be the same as a 20 a day smoking habit. A good thing is to sign up to the British Horse Society membership (£75), it gives you a fantastic third party liability (£30 million) & personal accident (£10 million) insurance, which you can knock off any regular insurance premium and just stick to the medical cover side of it. 

The biggest thing really is the time and effort mucking out, grooming and exercise/schooling etc, I travel too much for work now and hence had to pass him on to another person . 
Thankfully he is now with a retired police lady from the mounted division, so he lives the life of Riley with her. 

Please show us some photos of the doggies!

Edited by maffo

4 hours ago, maffo said:

Please show us some photos of the doggies!

Two girls, aged 2.5 yrs and 1.5 yrs approx. Both adopted at 6-7 months of age. Both of untraceable origins/breeding. So many puppies get dumped around here. The lucky ones are not already dead in a plastic bag. Very sad.  

Same size/colour roughly but 2 completely different 'brands' so we didn't really know what we were getting!

One bays as she is a hunting hound. While the other woofs as she's a little guard dog.  The hound is the older one (and the boss,) so I think she has been training her sidekick to make a noise more like hers as last night about 2am I stuck my head out of the upstairs window to listen. (They both roam the garden at night as they like, cos it's fenced and secure.) I heard a strangled half woof half baying sound from junior! 

I also realised that we have nightingales - like loads of them. (Or else all the other garden birds were joining in for a nighttime singsong?)  Anyway, it was very nice. Glad we live in the countryside!

DOSBODS_pic.png

• Agree 3

So, who put an evil spell on my dogs?! 🤔

Just after posting this the younger one started shaking and drooling. Googled that and advice was vet asap.

So she's at the vet on a drip. OH took her.  Has been given charcoal (for possible poisoning) and Valium to calm her down and IV  fluids. All alone now till vet checks her tomorrow. Bloody hope she's going to be ok. No idea what she could have eaten.

She was in the garden with us! But she will try eating anything once. So who knows. Or maybe not something she ate?

Just wish I could be with her. A bit heartbreaking to think she might feel we have dumped her in her darkest hours. 

She's a little toughie so fingers crossed. She even had enough energy to bark at a tractor on the drive to the vet.

Will update tomorrow. (Hmmm ... how's the horse?! 😶)

It wasn't me, i hope she is ok.

I think horsey is OK, he was a few weeks back when i last asked his current owner. I occasionally ride my friend's horses these days, a few own some big enough for me to sit on.
Me + my mate's horse, also an Irish draught but crossed with a race horse, so a little finer in the leg than my boy. Better suited as she's female and about 6 stone lighter than me!

sonic.png

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, whocares said:

So, who put an evil spell on my dogs?! 🤔

Just after posting this the younger one started shaking and drooling. Googled that and advice was vet asap.

So she's at the vet on a drip. OH took her.  Has been given charcoal (for possible poisoning) and Valium to calm her down and IV  fluids. All alone now till vet checks her tomorrow. Bloody hope she's going to be ok. No idea what she could have eaten.

She was in the garden with us! But she will try eating anything once. So who knows. Or maybe not something she ate?

Just wish I could be with her. A bit heartbreaking to think she might feel we have dumped her in her darkest hours. 

She's a little toughie so fingers crossed. She even had enough energy to bark at a tractor on the drive to the vet.

Will update tomorrow. (Hmmm ... how's the horse?! 😶)

Hope she's ok, it's a good sign that she still had the energy to bark at a tractor!

My dog has frequent spells of feeling sick which result in him drooling a lot and trying to self medicate by eating grass and generally looking very sorry for himself.

Sometimes it's his own stupid fault for eating something he's found but other times there's no obvious trigger.

Keep us updated.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, maffo said:

It wasn't me, i hope she is ok.

I think horsey is OK, he was a few weeks back when i last asked his current owner. I occasionally ride my friend's horses these days, a few own some big enough for me to sit on.
Me + my mate's horse, also an Irish draught but crossed with a race horse, so a little finer in the leg than my boy. Better suited as she's female and about 6 stone lighter than me!

sonic.png

How much for the tyres?

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

-

I always wanted a horse, but then I met someone who has them and she hates the way they're such a bind. Mucking out every day or paying someone to do it just doesn't seem worth it, plus if I am not mistaken you aren't meant to have just one horse as they get lonely I believe?

I have been considering getting a peacock, but again you need a peahen or two or they'll just fuck off in search of one.  :CryBaby:

One percent
5 minutes ago, spunko said:

-

I always wanted a horse, but then I met someone who has them and she hates the way they're such a bind. Mucking out every day or paying someone to do it just doesn't seem worth it, plus if I am not mistaken you aren't meant to have just one horse as they get lonely I believe?

I have been considering getting a peacock, but again you need a peahen or two or they'll just fuck off in search of one.  :CryBaby:

I inew someone whose garden backed onto forest land. Her stable was at the end of the garden. Now, in that setup, not so much of a bind. 

Chewing Grass

Anyone who has a horse (especially women) is mentally ill.

The sister in-law has them (3) and she is, her daughter is (1), then there are the ones I see riding the things near me, the two 18-20 year-old bitches who ride down the cycle trail covered in tatts are.

Then there are the spoilt little girlies who get daddy to rent corners of farmers fields and then put posh wooden stables and a hard-standing up on land they don't even own for their little pets.

If you look you will see how self-indulgent these muppets are.

Edit:- I have no time for pets but would happily keep anything I could eat and likewise would have no qualms dispatching and prepping them as well.

Edited by Chewing Grass
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Anyone who has a horse (especially women) is mentally ill.

The sister in-law has then and she is, her daughter is, then there are the ones I see riding the things near me, the two 18-20 year-old bitches who ride down the cycle trail covered in tatts are.

Then there are the spoilt little girlies who rent corners of farmers fields and get daddy to put wooden stables and a hard-standing up for their little pets.

If you look you will see how self-indulgent these muppets are.

Most of the people I know who have horses are ordinary working class people who live for them i.e. it takes up most of their time and money.
Plus they are decent, caring individuals, some of whom are also talented at competition, so your assumptions are widely off the mark in my own experience.

• Agree 1

Chewing Grass
Just now, maffo said:

Most of the people I know who have horses are ordinary working class people who live for them i.e. it takes up most of their time and money.
Plus they are decent, caring individuals, some of whom are also talented at competition, so your assumptions are widely off the mark in my own experience.

Fine.

16 minutes ago, spunko said:

-

Mine have always been at a yard with others, it's rare for them to be on their own. The upkeep I actually enjoy, i'd hate to pay someone to do it as it's part of the bonding.

One percent
12 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Edit:- I have no time for pets but would happily keep anything I could eat and likewise would have no qualms dispatching and prepping them as well.

You can eat horse. Especially if you shop at Tesco. :)

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

I was brought up with horses, my grandfather was a coal merchant with horses and carts. When he changed to lorries we still had stables so he brought ponies over from his native Ireland and we prepared them for sale by "breaking them in"

Most went to spoilt horsey girlies I'm afraid. Later on at school one of these rich spoiled girlies decided to show off her riding prowess at a school fair. She was really pissed off when I was better than her, mind you It was one of our horses so already knew me.

• Agree 1

One percent
6 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I was brought up with horses, my grandfather was a coal merchant with horses and carts. When he changed to lorries we still had stables so he brought ponies over from his native Ireland and we prepared them for sale by "breaking them in"

Most went to spoilt horsey girlies I'm afraid. Later on at school one of these rich spoiled girlies decided to show off her riding prowess at a school fair. She was really pissed off when I was better than her, mind you It was one of our horses so already knew me.

pikey. . 

• Lol 1

12 hours ago, spunko said:

-

You’re just copying me now. 

Truth be told that wasn’t my peacock for more than 10 minutes. It just wandered in.

p.s. I can’t upload jpegs either.

Edited by Battenberg

14 hours ago, Royston said:

Keep us updated.

Good news.

Vet delivered her back to us this morning, quite early and she'sbviously thru the worst of whatever disagreed with her. So phew!

Got some pills to give her twice a day & gave her a small bowl of dry food as she hadn't eaten anything last night. 

She ate all the food offered and wanted more which (tho a good sign) we thought wasn't a good idea. She's a dog which eats fast without tasting,  so it's up to us to stop her from over-eating! (The other one is a slow and picky eater. So no worries with her on that front.)

I bet sick dog thinks "well if you fed me a bit more, maybe I might not have felt the urge to eat something disgusting which landed me in this pickle. So it's all your fault". 🙄

Now sleeping it off. Seems tired despite having been locked up in a cage all last night. 

Smells very strongly of mice. 🤔 So our other dog (the boss of the two) gave her a thorough going over nasally, and managed to look slightly disappointed that she has reappeared. Liked it better last night perhaps when all our attention was on her perhaps?! 

Anyway, drama over for now I hope! 😊

• Agree 3

That's good news. (except for your wallet)

Maybe just give her chicken and rice for a day or two as it's lighter than the regular dog food.

Whenever my old boy is feeling sick if he's not got access to grass he'll try to eat anything to hand in order to self-medicate, including newspaper, cushion covers and mesh fly screens!

I've started giving mine a couple of digestion supplements which seem to have reduced the number of dodgy tummy days... Linbells Yudigest and Animology pre-biotics, one of each a day.

Edited by Royston
  • Agree 1