DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Coronavirus Coffee

TheCountOfNowhere

TheCountOfNowhere

Many people ( probably not the hardened Dosbodders ) like a nice cup of coffee in one of those shit american style coffee shops, so what are people doing now ?

I stopped buying coffee out when it hit £2 a cup.  I could get pissed for the same price of a couple of lattes and a shit cake.

I now take my coffee at home and my recommendations for a perfect cup is:

Coffee Machine:

image.jpeg.c93270bccdc511f5094c8979ce73335e.jpeg

Coffee:

My preferred one is from Lidl, Ive tried many but this is my preference

WP_20151116_001.jpg

Method:

Half a cup of hot milk near boiling but not quite. ( I microwave mine but boiled in a pain is better )

Half a cup of coffee

2 spoons of demerara sugar.

I'm sitting drinking a cup now and it knocks spots off any coffee I've had in the UK.

My pet hate is those coffee pod machines at home, tepid shit coffee. 

Best coffee I've had was at a friends house who roasted his own coffee beans.  It was top notch.  

Anyone else got their perfect cup ?

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere
  • Informative 1

MrLibertyRedux
9 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Many people ( probably not the hardened Dosbodders ) like a nice cup of coffee in one of those shit american style coffee shops, so what are people doing now ?

I stopped buying coffee out when it hit £2 a cup.  I could get pissed for the same price of a couple of lattes and a shit cake.

I now take my coffee at home and my recommendations for a perfect cup is:

Coffee Machine:

image.jpeg.c93270bccdc511f5094c8979ce73335e.jpeg

Coffee:

WP_20151116_001.jpg

Method:

Half a cup of hot milk near boiling but not quite. ( I microwave mine but boiled in a pain is better )

Half a cup of coffee

I'm sitting drinking a cup now and it knocks spots off any coffee I've had in the UK.

Best coffee I've had was at a friends house who roasted his own coffee beans.  It was top notch.  

Moka pot also for me.

Was surprised at how passable the Aldi and Lidl coffee is.

Generally tend to buy mine from here, near where I grew up.

https://www.northern-tea.com/

They supply mail order and just the house espresso blend knocks the socks off pretty much anything else, and it isn't expensive, in fact cheaper than main supermarket own brand.

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
Phucking fone
  • Agree 1

Nespresso machine. Using LOR pods that were half price in Tesco a couple months back so I bought a ton of them.

Cafe Nero's prices have crept up to the point where a large black coffee is the best part of £3 now, which is kind of hard for me as a frugal sort to stomach.

• Agree 2

TheCountOfNowhere
5 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Was surprised at how passable the Aldi and Lidl coffee is.

I was very surprised.  I've tried no end of coffee's over the years and that is by far the best one I've found for me personally.

Generally there are some gems in Lidl and Aldi and for me, this is one of them.

2 others for me would be Lidl baguettes ( no one in the UK does a decent baguette ) and some of the Aldi deserts 

Both go nice with a coffee :-) 

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Nespresso machine. Using LOR pods that were half price in Tesco a couple months back so I bought a ton of them.

Cafe Nero's prices have crept up to the point where a large black coffee is the best part of £3 now, which is kind of hard for me as a frugal sort to stomach.

I know £3 for a coffee, you can get a pint cheaper.  If I do have a coffee out I head for a wetherspoons.

I dont get the coffee pod thing, it's always luke warm and not very nice when I've tried them but I am willing to be corrected.

Do you put extra hot water or hot milk in ?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I know £3 for a coffee, you can get a pint cheaper.  If I do have a coffee out I head for a wetherspoons.

I dont get the coffee pod thing, it's always luke warm and not very nice when I've tried them but I am willing to be corrected.

Do you put extra hot water or hot milk in ?

I only make espresso's. Never liked the large coffee's that come out of those machines.

I don't wanna pay £3 for a large coffee but I'd like a way of making a good quality one myself that emulates or betters what I can get in Nero. But then I probably need to start arsing about with grinding beans and whatnot and I'm too lazy.

TheCountOfNowhere
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

I only make espresso's. Never liked the large coffee's that come out of those machines.

I don't wanna pay £3 for a large coffee but I'd like a way of making a good quality one myself that emulates or betters what I can get in Nero. But then I probably need to start arsing about with grinding beans and whatnot and I'm too lazy.

You'd get a demon espresso out of the Moka pot.

Just dont put it in the dishwasher as my wife keeps doing :-| 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I only make espresso's. Never liked the large coffee's that come out of those machine's.

I don't wanna pay £3 for a large coffee but I'd like a way of making a good quality one myself that emulate's or better's what I can get in Nero. But then I probably need to start arsing about with grinding bean's and whatnot and I'm to lazy.

Sorted out your grammer, cheer's. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

You'd get a demon espresso out of the Moka pot.

Just dont put it in the dishwasher as my wife keeps doing :-| 

It's tempting.

I only have one coffee a day, but I like a nice strong coffee. I don't overly enjoy the taste of what comes out of the Nespresso machine but it's convenient, and I down it quickly so it's more about just getting the caffiene into me as quickly as possible. ;)

I did try costa coffee pods and had to throw them in the bin; they were fucking horrible.

• Agree 1

Don't mind Aldi Alcafe instant Americano, silly cheap - just over £2 a tin, seems to be  a bit marmite in terms of reviews and a love it or hate it response.

Democorruptcy
12 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Coffee:

Method:

Half a cup of coffee

How much is the coffee a packet and how many half a cups of coffee per packet?

1/2 a cup of hot milk and demerara sugar? I always thought you were a bloke?

• Lol 1

One percent

I really like Lavazza. I've tried that LIDL one and heard good things about it but my pallet isn't appreciative of good coffee apparently.

Unfortunately if I have more than 2-3 cups a day I get heart palpitations so can't really fully enjoy a coffee like I used to and just make do with Kenco sometimes.

TheCountOfNowhere
11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just trying to lighten the mood in these dark days. 

Kyz man can bugger off. 

£230 for a machine to make coffee? You can employ a Bulgarian for less. 

One percent
14 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Just trying to lighten the mood in these dark days. 

Kyz man can bugger off. 

£230 for a machine to make coffee? You can employ a Bulgarian for less. 

Thats cheap, belive me. O.o  i did the maths, I’ve had it for about 9 years now, even at one cup a day, thats over 3.000 cups. Buy that in starbucks at 4 quid a pop and that’s 13k. Pretty cheap..... 

• Agree 2

I like the 1.3kg tins from Costco about 8 quid.  Did give some of the Lidl/Aldi ones a go but wasn't impressed. Can't remember if I did that Bellarom though I will give it a try.

I make it in what I call a splodger but apparently its correct name is a cafetiere. I've got an electric rather than gas cooker in the current rental so I would really like to try one of those aluminium Dalek jobs in post 1 above.

Advice needed - what to do with used coffee grounds? They block up the sink but also seem to mess up the bin by somehow leaking through the bin liner.

Edited by Funn3r

Being a layperson, I have recently started mixing Nescafe Gold (tried the Classic for economy but tastes like even worse pish) with protein powder with excellent results and no side effects.

No fancy preparation, coffee, milk to cool it down (otherwise the powder gets lumpy and it is shit) and one scoop.

Constant intake of protein throughout the day. Will try it for another month or so and see whether it makes a difference.

• Informative 2

37 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

XYY has recently confessed to enjoying a mouthful of Earl Grey.

Do you write the Lionel Blair jokes for I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue?

e.g. (Has to be read out)

"Possibly the most versatile performer was Lionel Blair, and no one will ever forget the occasion he was given A Town Like Alice, when he chose to do a silent impression of the author. Such was the performance, Una Stubbs gasped in amazement when she saw Neville Shute in Lionel's face."

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

Captain Cavey
1 hour ago, Syd Germs said:

Do you write the Lionel Blair jokes for I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue?

e.g. (Has to be read out)

"Possibly the most versatile performer was Lionel Blair, and no one will ever forget the occasion he was given A Town Like Alice, when he chose to do a silent impression of the author. Such was the performance, Una Stubbs gasped in amazement when she saw Neville Shute in Lionel's face."

In these puritanical days, is any of that allowed any more?  e.g. 

“Who will ever forget the relish in Lionel Blair's eye as he got stuck into Howard's End for two minutes”

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

Moka pot if I fancy a proper nice cup..  but recently I've been too lazy and just drinking instant.

I've also been drinking a lot more tea recently..  perhaps because we've been using the bread maker a lot and nothing goes better with fresh toast and marmalade than tea.  Yes,  Earl Grey.

The twinnings bags are my go-to.   But if I treat myself to a pot,  this is the nicest loose leaf Earl Grey I have found so far:

819xrPcTalL._AC_SY550_.jpg

• Informative 1