DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Free money for second home owners?

Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

People renting or with one home pay their council to have it handed out to people with second homes? A £10k grant?

Some second-home owners are using a "loophole" to claim grants which are intended to help small businesses survive coronavirus, it is claimed.

Firms employing fewer than nine people can apply for £10,000 grants as part of a £1.1bn Welsh Government package.

Five councils are calling on Welsh ministers to change advice so second-home owners who pay business rates rather than council tax cannot claim.

The Welsh Government said councils can ask for more evidence from claimants.

Properties that are used as full-time holiday accommodation are often registered as businesses.

But a rising number of second-home owners have moved from paying council tax - which includes a second-home premium - to paying business rates.

In Wales, a second-home owner can register to pay business rates if the property is available to be let for at least 140 days a year and is actually let for a minimum of 70 days.

And after making the transition, they may be eligible for a discount from the Welsh Government, including a 100% discount if the rateable value is less than £6,000.

One councillor has claimed owners of "around 250" second homes in Powys have moved to paying business rates in this way, and that Powys council is in the process of issuing grant payments.

Elwyn Vaughan says Powys council is in the process of issuing the payments to second home-owners

"They don't pay any business rates in Powys and yet they are able to benefit from the £10,000 grant," said councillor Elwyn Vaughan, who represents a ward in the Dyfi Valley.

"It could mean around £2.5m paid out to these holiday homes which is a stark raving bonkers situation.

"The money should be there for genuine, small businesses of which Powys has a wide range of companies like that which should be benefiting from these grants."

Powys council has been asked to comment.

Local authorities are responsible for assessing claims for the small business grants and distributing the money.

But five councils - Gwynedd, Ynys Mon, Conwy, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire - say millions could be paid to people who have designated a second home a business in order to avoid paying council tax.

Gwynedd has about 5,000 second homes - more than any other county in Wales - and the council estimates the owners of between 1,500 and 1,800 of them may be registered as businesses.

If all were to receive the grant it would mean a total of more than £15m being paid out from Gwynedd alone.

Gwynedd council leader Dyfrig Siencyn said he had made a plea to Wales' Housing Minister Julie James, who "has sympathised with our case".

A Welsh Government spokesman said: "Business support grants are available to self-catering businesses as they fall within one of the sectors most immediately affected by the pandemic and they make an important contribution to our tourism economy.

"However, local authorities have discretion about awarding the grant and can also require business owners to provide additional evidence to support their claim.

"Second homes are liable for council tax and may be subject to additional premiums of up to 100%. The premiums are set by individual local authorities."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52316003

I wonder if the Welsh Governbankment spokesman has a second home? He sounds up for the grants idea?

Chewing Grass
4 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

People renting or with one home pay their council to have it handed out to people with second homes? A £10k grant?

I wonder if the Welsh Governbankment spokesman has a second home? He sounds up for the grants idea?

Nah, they are just a bunch of fuck-wits who have politically engineered out of spite a system that is too complex and unstable to administer.

It is like badly written software compiled from years of shite that nobody now understands.

• Agree 2

Democorruptcy
5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Nah, they are just a bunch of fuck-wits who have politically engineered out of spite a system that is too complex and unstable to administer.

It is like badly written software compiled from years of shite that nobody now understands.

Elwyn Vaughan says Powys council is in the process of issuing the payments to second home-owners

Brits with chalets in the Alps were trying this on too

Hells Bells
mega-snowHead
For French owners and tax payers, there is a form in your impots.gouv account under 'Messagerie securisée' (then écrire and its the bottom of the list) to apply for up to 1500€ assistance if your turnover for March 2020 was less than 50% of your turnover for March 2019. You need your 'numero fiscal' and password to log in (can reset with your birthdate), your SIRET number to complete the form along with details of turnovers for the month in question and your bank details for the payment.

Don Coglione

Some cunt on another forum had at least 5 holiday homes, each registered as a separate business.

He planned to claim for all of them, naturally.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Ponty Mython said:

Some cunt on another forum had at least 5 holiday homes, each registered as a separate business.

He planned to claim for all of them, naturally.

If it is a business then it is a business hate the game not the player. Good luck to him government have destroyed working hard and being honest. 

• Agree 2

unregistered_guest
49 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

You've been listening to some of my code review sessions?

Karoline Klever: The importance of code reviews

• Lol 1

2 hours ago, ad_ceng said:

If it is a business then it is a business hate the game not the player. Good luck to him government have destroyed working hard and being honest. 

I wasn't aware that you could safely skirt round a moral hazard by simply registering as a business. O.o

Although saying that, Amazon get away with avoiding £bns of tax every year and nobody seem to blame them. I thought it was because they used Amazon themselves and didn't want to be hypocritical, not because they're registered as a business. :CryBaby:

2 hours ago, ad_ceng said:

Sadly I agree..  it’s the Welsh government that are f**king this up,  not the chancers lining up for their handout.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Sadly I agree..  it’s the Welsh government that are f**king this up,  not the chancers lining up for their handout.

It isn't just the Welsh.

Anyone correctly declaring their airbnb as a holiday let qualifies in England as well.

I did wonder when this would surface.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

29 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

It isn't just the Welsh.

Anyone correctly declaring their airbnb as a holiday let qualifies in England as well.

I did wonder when this would surface.

'correctly'

36 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Bet they are kicking themselves now.

A crystal ball is handy for lots of things :D

I still have no idea why HMRC are not right after air BnB. Easiest tax grab ever and not even sneaky either. 

They have all the details from air BnB already and they know who does self assessment or not. Simple x reference. 

You have an air BnB + you don't do a self assessment = you owe tax. 

So easy. It's almost like they have been informed to let them off .....

• Agree 6
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ccc said:

A crystal ball is handy for lots of things :D

I still have no idea why HMRC are not right after air BnB. Easiest tax grab ever and not even sneaky either. 

They have all the details from air BnB already and they know who does self assessment or not. Simple x reference. 

You have an air BnB + you don't do a self assessment = you owe tax. 

So easy. It's almost like they have been informed to let them off .....

Part of the Inland Revenue should be privatised so we can license private tax inspectors who are paid on a commission only basis. Bounty hunters for tax dodgers. Also the state should be documenting the ownership of every square yard of real estate in the country. Give people 6 months to register their land with one centralised national body owned by the IR. Any failure to do so results in loss of ownership. Then initiate the LVT.

Also private Border Guards on commission only. Bounty Hunters for illegal immigrants.

As you imply, these things are very easy when the will to do them is there. It's funny how many offshore havens there are and how little political will there is to deal with them. Fine. I'm generally a low taxation type of guy but then don't go sticking 40 - 50% tax rates on middle class "high-earners".

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Green Devil

So this is saying that if I register my 2nd home as a business and make it available for let for 140 days, I avoid council tax, then if I make less than 6,000 per annum I pay no business. Rates? 

WTF. You couldn't make this shit up. 

• Agree 2

Wight Flight
10 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

So this is saying that if I register my 2nd home as a business and make it available for let for 140 days, I avoid council tax, then if I make less than 6,000 per annum I pay no business. Rates? 

I think you also have to actually rent it for 70 days.

Probably at mates rates to friends and family.

Wight Flight
17 hours ago, ad_ceng said:

I'd rather just hate both.

In this case and many other examples like it, it's usually the players that are also the policy makers who have made up the corrupt rules of the game anyway.

• Agree 4

29 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

18 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I think you also have to actually rent it for 70 days.

Probably at mates rates to friends and family.

How do they have to actually prove they've rented it for 70 days?

Could they just transfer £6k into their account from another account over the course of the summer season and declare that as their ''rental income''... hey presto, no council tax or business rates to pay.

Wight Flight
8 minutes ago, Royston said:

How do they have to actually prove they've rented it for 70 days?

Could they just transfer £6k into their account from another account over the course of the summer season and declare that as their ''rental income''... hey presto, no council tax or business rates to pay.

They could. But it would be fraud.

Not my area of expertise, but it appears so long as it is available for 140 days that is that is required.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rating-of-holiday-cottages-and-self-contained-units

So you could use your second home all summer, then try and rent it over the winter for say £10k per week.

Not your fault that you didn't get any customers!

Green Devil
25 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

They could. But it would be fraud.

Not my area of expertise, but it appears so long as it is available for 140 days that is that is required.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rating-of-holiday-cottages-and-self-contained-units

So you could use your second home all summer, then try and rent it over the winter for say £10k per week.

Not your fault that you didn't get any customers!

No wonder locals cant buy a home in a holiday hotspot.