DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Deskercise - "burn as you earn"

Mihnjeeta

I've been thinking about setting up an office treadmill in my home study. It will basically enable me to kill 2 boring activities with one stone - work and exercise. I watched a clip about one guy who was able to get in 40000 steps a day at work and the weight dropped off.

Thinking that I can pick up an underdesk treadmill for a few hundred and then fashion my own 'raising desk'.

Has anyone used one at work?

You are of course correct CCC, but alas it will never happen for me - lunchtimes are for eating. :)

I'm just thinking that I could turn all my sedentary hours in front of the pc into something that's at least a nod towards exercise. I'm liking the Xiomi WalkingPad but not going to be able to get one delivered for a couple of months and it seems expensive.

swiss_democracy_for_all

I suggest you try before you buy, I don’t think I would be able to concentrate on, say, reading lines of code, while walking on a treadmill with my head moving around a bit. Probably ok for emails and similar. 

I have a special desk in work that can be converted to a standing desk quickly.

In reality I can't work for extended periods standing up; and I don't think I could work at a walking treadmill.

However I believe that if you are concerned about the effects of sitting too much; the trick is to get up every hour and walk for 5 mins. So having a treadmill somewhere in the house and using it for 5 mins every hour might be a solution.

I think this is an intriguing idea but possibly a bit of a gimmic, so I think Swissy is spot on saying "try before you buy". I guess it would depend a lot on the nature of the work you are doing, for me it would have to be something where I am focussed on one thing for a decent period but that thing couldn't be so involved that walking would be distracting.

Webinars / internal video meetings - ideal

Watching something (video / news feed / market data) - Yes

Reading lots of text / reports - maybe

Writing text / code / all but the briefest of emails etc - probably not, I just can't imagine I'd be able to do that and walk at the same time

Anything client facing - no, you'd look like an unprofessional idiot

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2020 at 12:09, JoeDavola said:

I have a special desk in work that can be converted to a standing desk quickly.

In reality I can't work for extended periods standing up; and I don't think I could work at a walking treadmill.

However I believe that if you are concerned about the effects of sitting too much; the trick is to get up every hour and walk for 5 mins. So having a treadmill somewhere in the house and using it for 5 mins every hour might be a solution.

That seems like a good approach to me.

I’ve never bought into the bullshit of being a good multi tasker. Of course I’ve done it throughout life because of necessity but always hated being distracted when doing something. Others may like multi tasking but I prefer to concentrate on the one task at hand.

I think multi tasking being promoted as a skill is just modern bullshit to cut staff and results in employees becoming pissed off with constant interruptions.

Fully Detached

I used to follow a trading expert who used one of these - I think it would work best when you need to be monitoring your screen but not necessarily using your mouse and keyboard. He was watching charts all day and waiting for the right moemnt to enter or exit a trade.

I spend a lot of my working time monitoring email, ao I might actually look into this. When it comes to fat burning I hate cardio, so the ability to walk a few miles a day regardless of available time or the weather is quite attractive.

• 2 weeks later...
Covid19 and life to go

I've got an underdesk pedal kit thingy.  The resistance on my model is pretty much non-existent but even so it'll probably burn up to 200kcal an hour if I whizz at a moderately high speed just because I'm moving my muscles.  If you did that in bursts to total around 3 hours of each working day you'd be shifting a pound of fat a week.  I will say though that it doesn't actually fit under my desk so I have to kind of position myself sideways to use it properly (it's not the model below, it's a bit lower and less bulky).  Not ideal but have found I can still focus and work pretty well (not as productive as 100% stare at screen straight on concentration but work can give a bit, I've a physique to keep!!!)

42562_image.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Dave Bloke
On 18/04/2020 at 07:21, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I suggest you try before you buy, I don’t think I would be able to concentrate on, say, reading lines of code, while walking on a treadmill with my head moving around a bit. Probably ok for emails and similar. 

I doubt I could even concentrate enough for emails.

Dave Bloke
On 18/04/2020 at 13:09, JoeDavola said:

or spank off to pron, although 8 x a day would be beyond most of the gentlemen on dosbods I would bet.

Just now, Dave Bloke said:

or spank off to pron, although 8 x a day would be beyond most of the gentlemen on dosbods I would bet.

8 times a week would leave me a wreck these days....

Archived