• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
HolyCow

The House of Lords gravy train...

1 minute ago, HolyCow said:

Why do they need £323 per day for sitting at home and watching a monitor (and it's tax free of course). Time to abolish them?

Hell no are you crazy? Three hundred a day is brilliant. I'm at home all day anyway so why not. Can anyone do it, can you join online?

Very reasonable IMPO as there are management twats at my place currently working from home on £120/hr and whacking 8 hours in watching a monitor and pressing a few buttons.

So that's £960 per day.

Very reasonable, every ship of the line needs a steadying  hand on the tiller.

23 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Whilst I like tradition I really don't see the point of the House of Lords; it's like the Chelsea Pensioners for ex-politicians.

Traditionally they were likely there to stop the "commons" overthrowing the monarchy and upper class elites.

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Very reasonable IMPO as there are management twats at my place currently working from home on £120/hr and whacking 8 hours in watching a monitor and pressing a few buttons.

So that's £960 per day.

Very reasonable, every ship of the line needs a steadying  hand on the tiller.

Cracking, if you can get it, I guess. I certainly admire bullshitters.

5 hours ago, Snark said:

Traditionally they were likely there to stop the "commons" overthrowing the monarchy and upper class elites.

The queen can do that but it would be the end of the monarchy she is our deadman’s switch vs a would be dictator this is the only reason I agree with keeping them

9 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Whilst I like tradition I really don't see the point of the House of Lords; it's like the Chelsea Pensioners for ex-politicians.

House or Lords gets my vote, some of the heretitarys that turned up to work did so out of a  real sense of duty to UK. i suspect some of the appointed ones do too

The HoL select committees are superb

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

House or Lords gets my vote, some of the heretitarys that turned up to work did so out of a  real sense of duty to UK. i suspect some of the appointed ones do too

The HoL select committees are superb

You can have experts as advisory committees in the way that the US does without giving them a legislative role.

Unelected and politically appointed so overdue for dissolution IMO.

10 hours ago, HolyCow said:

Why do they need £323 per day for sitting at home and watching a monitor (and it's tax free of course). Time to abolish them?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/17/peers-demand-323-daily-allowance-log-virtual-parliamentary-proceedings/

Christ, that’s inflation. I remember not that long ago one of the tabloids kicking off because it was 100 a day. Nice work if you can get it.