• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

Tablet died

Recommended Posts

Any adice. Usually with laptops they fail bit by bit over time so you sort of know what to expect and you can poke around inside. This happened fairly unexpectedly.I cant even work out how to open it.

 

I had actually dropped it from a couple of feet earlier on, then a few hours later it suddenly closed down. It did seem to close down normally, as if the battery had discharged. Putting it on charger makes it light up but no charging progress symbol.

 

Is it worth trying a new battery?

 

Its a Samsung Tab A; cost about 160 quid. I was just starting to find it useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steppensheep said:

So you can switch it off and on again?

Yes basically. It was not switching on and used to work if he plugged it into his laptop and fuck about with it. However no laptop set up and won't work when I'm away. So switch added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you cracked a circuit on the mobo when it dropped or loosened something. These tablets are usually glued together making it very hard to open.

Have you tried giving it a good shake? Failing that, dropping it onto a softish hard surface to try and shake it back into life? Say onto a mattress, pillow of cushion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My lynx 8 sometimes gets into a state where you have yo hold down the power on button for a long time say about a minute then it comes to life. Several of us bought these when they were a hotukdeal once and I've rescued a couple of mates with this trick. 

I had a no name brand Chinese one which did same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Any adice. Usually with laptops they fail bit by bit over time so you sort of know what to expect and you can poke around inside. This happened fairly unexpectedly.I cant even work out how to open it.

 

I had actually dropped it from a couple of feet earlier on, then a few hours later it suddenly closed down. It did seem to close down normally, as if the battery had discharged. Putting it on charger makes it light up but no charging progress symbol.

 

Is it worth trying a new battery?

 

Its a Samsung Tab A; cost about 160 quid. I was just starting to find it useful.

First step can you get it recovery mode? Basically while off, press vol up, home button (or bixby) and power at the same time, and see if it powers on.

If not does the backlight light up, anything on the display? If not could be a dislodged display connector, or damaged display (which may not be economically viable to replace).

If the back light lights up, but no battery charging, may be the battery connector or battery itself. Will need to be opened up for a triage. You'll need some mobile plastic spudger tools and a hair dryer heated round the edges to release the adhesive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MrPin said:

It's not useful any more. It deserves a State Funeral. I'd put it down to a VIRUS.

First documented human to machine transmission. Another cover up by the WHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Funn3r said:

My lynx 8 sometimes gets into a state where you have yo hold down the power on button for a long time say about a minute then it comes to life. Several of us bought these when they were a hotukdeal once and I've rescued a couple of mates with this trick. 

I had a no name brand Chinese one which did same thing. 

My first tablet from 2012 was from a chinese brand called Ainol. I think I've spelt it rightxD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeoGeo said:

First documented human to machine transmission. Another cover up by the WHO

I guess the tablet IS Chinese, though best not to read too much into that, as they all are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2020 at 23:34, Lightly Toasted said:

[Other online tablet opening guides are available]

 

Can I have one by someone who wears shirts? Or alternatively; female.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2020 at 20:41, steppensheep said:

Putting it on charger makes it light up but no charging progress symbol.

If you have damaged the hardware this won't help but I used to have an Android tablet and a couple of times it wouldn't boot up. When plugging the charger in a red battery appeared on screen but it wouldn't charge. I did a factory reset by holding certain buttons as it booted up. That reset it, it then charged but all my settings were lost.

A Galaxy Tab reset here DYOR etc!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.