• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Covid Education Resouces from govt

13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Why is this necessary? Aren't all the teachers working from home running classes and setting / marking work etc?

Just now, Wight Flight said:

Why is this necessary? Aren't all the teachers working from home running classes and setting / marking work etc?

Like a portal network / Zoom meetings?

13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Like a portal network / Zoom meetings?

Not my area of expertise, but both my lads still have a full set of lessons as usual.

I suppose it depends how much the teachers / lecturers actually care about their students.

Posted (edited)

I thought this was going to be some patronising BS about talking to kids about Covid..   like “Ask Frank” about drugs or “how to talk to your kids about gay sex in mixed race relationships” or similar PC rubbish.

But on the surface it’s a really useful teaching resource that promises free access to teaching material. 

Great thinks I,  they have phonics books for teaching primary (they are genuinely really great books..  Americans have really lead the way on this to their credit).  

Anyway,  you drill down to see how you can actually download them..  oh,  please add to shopping cart for £1000.   Er,  no thanks.

So it looks to me like a great idea that actually offers nothing. At least as far as I can tell.  Fortunately we already have a lot of these books and the kids are picking it up really well.

Edited by Libspero

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I imagine this advice is as useful as "put newspaper over the windows and hide behind a table", when you hear the nuclear sirens.

I suspect there are plenty of parents who actually did that when they shut the schools.

I'm looking forward to drinks with friends who have children soon. I suspect their opinions on my childless status may be a little diluted now :)

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I thought this was going to be some patronising BS about talking to kids about Covid..   like “Ask Frank” about drugs or “how to talk to your kids about gay sex in mixed race relationships” or similar PC rubbish.

But on the surface it’s a really useful teaching resource that promises free access to teaching material. 

Great thinks I,  they have phonics books for teaching primary (they are genuinely really great books..  Americans have really lead the way on this to their credit).  

Anyway,  you drill down to see how you can actually download them..  oh,  please add to shopping cart for £1000.   Er,  no thanks.

So it looks to me like a great idea that actually offers nothing. At least as far as I can tell.  Fortunately we already have a lot of these books and the kids are picking it up really well.

Wow! Doesn't take long to get to a shopping cart at all!

19 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Wow! Doesn't take long to get to a shopping cart at all!

Indeed.

Not much of a surprise that a helpful government website is at worst,  not helpful,  and at best,  so difficult to navigate it is rendered unhelpful!