• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Sausage

When I was a kid the best sausages my mother used to procure were the Tomato ones, bright orange (this was the 1970s) and I cant remember whether they were pork or beef but they were fantastic. Can't seem to find them anywhere these days, don't know if it was a local butchers thing, but all the supermarkets are full of either cheap and nasty sausages or the designer ones.

Anyone else got any great sausage memories or ate any fabulous ones recently.

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

When I was a kid the best sausages my mother used to procure were the Tomato ones, bright orange (this was the 1970s) and I cant remember whether they were pork or beef but they were fantastic. Can't seem to find them anywhere these days, don't know if it was a local butchers thing, but all the supermarkets are full of either cheap and nasty sausages or the designer ones.

Anyone else got any great sausage memories or ate any fabulous ones recently.

Calling Mrs Xyy the local sausage expert ūüĎć

I used to work in a sausage factory. I had to collect them off the conveyor belt and put them in cartons. They were good sausages and I used to eat loads of them in the subsidised canteen. I never saw any orange ones though. My favourite were the pork and apple ones.

Watched a documentary last year with The Hotel Inspector, Alex Polizzi visiting businesses to help them grow featuring Hecks sausages.*

Tried the product, liked it, found out, OK, was told, may not be true, that they also make Morrison's Signature sausages, which are also good, and more frequently on offer.

I know some people consider taking oral pleasure from a sausage to be anathema, on account you may not know, whats in them, where they have been, unless you know your meat, maybe not even then....but just as with a good pie, I love a good sausage.   

*No remarks about Alex helping your sausages grow from the back please.

When i was a kid there was such a thing as a pork butchers  (I think there still is in France calling @davidg). The did wonderful things such as chipolata sausage, polony, smoked saveloy. It was called Johnson's. And my grand worked there. 

One of the things I really miss. 

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Saveloy?

saveloy.jpg

See my post.  Proper saveloy, made by a proper butcher does not look like that. :Sick1:

Merguez sausages are red. They're originally a North African sausage made from mutton or beef. Very spicy, very tasty, excellent on the barbeque. Never seen them here though, very popular in France.

5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I like that, how a recipe on google is secret. Shhhh don't tell anyone....

I think they were perhaps being facetious. :Old:

40 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It does look pretty disgusting.

That mass-produced shite in your picture is revolting.

There are only three places I know of within 10 miles that still sell proper Northern savaloys - as shown below.

I am happy to supply them to ex-pats - at an obscene mark-up of course...!

;)

sava.jpg.c6a828b54cbfa911b9f8c9a929a36301.jpg

XYY

Sausages were bloody horrible pink slimy things in the U.K. when I was a lad, in the main. Thank god for the cooking programmes. Keith Floyd and all his later more poncey followers, they've now returned to their former glories. 

I confirm that home-made sausages are to be found in Froggieland and CH but not IMO as amazing as all that, tough to beat a good quality pork and leek Brit sausage (circa 2016 not 1975).

There's a proper butchers near me that make sausages. The best thing is they will happily sell just two, as I don't want a freezer bag of sixty "pink things".

8 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

That mass-produced shite in your picture is revolting.

There are only three places I know of within 10 miles that still sell proper Northern savaloys - as shown below.

I am happy to supply them to ex-pats - at an obscene mark-up of course...!

sava.jpg.c6a828b54cbfa911b9f8c9a929a36301.jpg

XYY

They look a bit red there xyy.  The ones I used to get were a brown colour. Wonderful they were. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

They look a bit red there xyy.  The ones I used to get were a brown colour. Wonderful they were. 

They are redder - that photo doesn't quite show the deep red colour they are in these parts.

XYY

13 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

They are redder - that photo doesn't quite show the deep red colour they are in these parts.

XYY

Im oop north shortly. Can you post the address of the best butcher for these? I'll then sample and report back as to whether they are as good as I remember. There is quite a good butchers in Redcar but I'm not convinced he uses the best cuts of pork. 

9 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Quorn

:Sick1: it's like wasting cardboard. No matter what I do with it, it's cardboard. My offspring are vegetarian so I make one meal for us and the same for them, just with quorn instead of mince.  Chilli, spat bog, taco.  The difference between the two is texture. Horrible stuff and brought to you by ICI, a chemical company. 

11 hours ago, One percent said:

When i was a kid there was such a thing as a pork butchers  (I think there still is in France calling @davidg). The did wonderful things such as chipolata sausage, polony, smoked saveloy. It was called Johnson's. And my grand worked there. 

One of the things I really miss. 

See my post.  Proper saveloy, made by a proper butcher does not look like that. :Sick1:

There are horse butchers (but not many now) called (la) Boucherie Chevaline. The swiss enjoy a bit of horse... and cat apparently.

http://www.tdg.ch/vivre/societe/Des-Suisses-continuent-de-manger-chiens-et-chats/story/10121142

Just don't ask a Swiss girl if you can "mange sa chatte" though.

35 minutes ago, davidg said:

There are horse butchers (but not many now) called (la) Boucherie Chevaline. The swiss enjoy a bit of horse... and cat apparently.

http://www.tdg.ch/vivre/societe/Des-Suisses-continuent-de-manger-chiens-et-chats/story/10121142

Just don't ask a Swiss girl if you can "mange sa chatte" though.

As long as it's not the conversation opener it's ok with most I reckon.