• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
DocH

Help! Stupid question about selling on Amazon

Hi.

I'm trying to set up selling via Amazon of a product which I manufacture.

Not sure whether to do Fulfillment by Amazon (where they take a consignment of the goods, and send it out to customers who order and pay using Amazon).

OR possibly the fulfill the orders myself (of orders taken on Amazon) or through an other order fulfillment service.

My stupid question is:

What is meant by "Sold off amazon"   (which contrasts with "Sold on Amazon")?

I imagine it's where something is advertised and sold on a different platform, and you then get Amazon to do the order fulfillment.

Is there a reliable glossary for all this stuff somewhere? There's a mountain of pages and forum discussions, but I'm having trouble grasping or rather finding some of the fundamental principles.

Help! [Please...]

Any other helpful thoughts gratefully received.

DocH

8 hours ago, DocH said:

Hi.

I'm trying to set up selling via Amazon of a product which I manufacture.

Not sure whether to do Fulfillment by Amazon (where they take a consignment of the goods, and send it out to customers who order and pay using Amazon).

OR possibly the fulfill the orders myself (of orders taken on Amazon) or through an other order fulfillment service.

My stupid question is:

What is meant by "Sold off amazon"   (which contrasts with "Sold on Amazon")?

I imagine it's where something is advertised and sold on a different platform, and you then get Amazon to do the order fulfillment.

Is there a reliable glossary for all this stuff somewhere? There's a mountain of pages and forum discussions, but I'm having trouble grasping or rather finding some of the fundamental principles.

Help! [Please...]

Any other helpful thoughts gratefully received.

DocH

Have you tried googling selling on amazon compared to the other option ,i know there are a few EBAY selling forums and the like i would be surprised if there are not any for Amazon

I have heard some horror stories about selling on Amozon  , The Bluecat on here could be the man to ask IIRC he works for them but i think he`s more towards the top of the food chain

A friend perennially talks about starting to sell on Amazon.  I get the impression the gravy train of easy money left about 3/4 years ago.

Not saying that is what you are doing at all but have heard from him and looked into it briefly too.  He was trying to get me interested - think he wanted me to help test the waters too for him.  Anyway he signed up for one of these courses start of last year and gave me all the "course" content as well as access to his Amazon scraper subscription.  I did watch some and read a bit but only on the periphery.

I get the impression that selling through the FBA program was/is the way to do depending on product of course.  If it's a bulky product you will be paying a lot more for storage costs.  Whereas if your product can garner a steady amount of sales and is unique enough etc then the FBA thing can really help those sales further as well as in theory automate everything for you to an extent.

The guy that provided the course was called Andrew minalto.  The site had a lot of info before he started offering his course so would assume still does(https://andrewminalto.com/)

I got the impression when I last looked 12 months ago that there were a lot of these "gurus" but he seemed pretty genuine, was UK based and looked to have a wealth of experience offered for free too.  Obviously no need to do any course (it's just information and he is more about sourcing products from China bartering etc but may have the basic info your looking for there on his site.  I also browsed Reddit FBA site could be worth asking there for the differences or questions that come up.