• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Covid-19 car prices

New or used cars...! I think it needs its own thread.

Glasses Guide etc aren't valuing currently so right now it's hard to figure out what is going on. But I suspect over the coming weeks it will become a bit easier...

Those on PCP spending £600 a month on an AUDI. A lot of them will end the agreement (voluntary termination) due to lack of income, however (post lockdown) everyone needs a car. Will this drive up used car prices?   I can see reliable stuff like the Japanese hatches and even 5-7 year old Mondeos being wanted.

As for new cars. The sheer number of 1-2 year old PCP cars returned by furloughed workers with no commission could flood and destroy the "nearly new" market. Be interesting to see what the gubbermint comes up with - longer payment holidays I suspect, but probably not 'enough' to stem the tide...

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Yeah, another car thread. Great idea spunks - just what the doctor ordered.

This one will have the DOSBODS one-upmanship knobs set to eleven I'm sure....

XYY

Where is the other used car prices thread? I can merge it in, I didn't know there was one.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

O.o

I want another car. Not sure what, but I'd like a blue one, as they don't fade like red ones.

Edited by MrPin

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I wish used car prices in CH were like used car prices in the UK. :S

Why are they expensive there? I would have thought there to be loads.

9 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

i think there will be at least 10 million unsold second hand cars.  Anyone want a bet?

10 minutes ago, MrPin said:

O.o

I want another car. Not sure what, but I'd like a blue one, as they don't fade like red ones.

Our Fiat is red, and hasn't faded, much, except for the spoiler which is plastic, and has.

10 minutes ago, spunko said:

Where is the other used car prices thread? I can merge it in, I didn't know there was one.

There isn't one. But it's a car thread - and they bring out the show-off in many DOSBODders.

What about second-hand coffee machines or shavers instead...?

;)

XYY

Posted (edited)

Speaking to people around here every business has claimed their free 10 grand, whether they needed it or not. Helicopter money is being dished out country wide and it's going to end up somewhere.

I reckon decent cars in the 10-20k range will be in demand and motorhomes.

Edited by honkydonkey

I am monitoring F Type prices. If i make it out the other side, there is the mother of all mid lifes coming up.

Theres a 16 plate white one on ebay for what seems a bargain price.

There are some trunks being pulled down in F Type land i think. Prices seem all over the shop.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Why are they expensive there? I would have thought there to be loads.

It depends a bit on the car, to be fair, it's all very localised as well. Some good cars are cheap because they're not that popular, others the opposite. I paid 8-10kchf less for my Civic than the equivalent age/spec Golf at the time.  But the overall theme is generally that new cars are cheaper than the UK (lower VAT and no RHD premium), but second-hand cars are more expensive.

27 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

You can do one-downmanship, like the excellent multi-coloured 1981 Skoda Estelle I had.

Just now, The XYY Man said:

Did it run on instant coffee and Bic razors...?

XYY

It was, er, amusingly basic, but easy to work on. It had the amazing ability to be ignored by car thieves, when this was rife, back in the early 90s.

8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It was, er, amusingly basic, but easy to work on. It had the amazing ability to be ignored by car thieves, when this was rife, back in the early 90s.

The trouble with cars that are easy to work on is that you have the feeling you're definitely going to have to do so.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

My Fiat Uno was the same.

I went to Newquay in it with my daughter back in 1999 to see the eclipse.

Battery had died when I tried to start it when we were ready to go home, and after getting a jump start I drove 435 miles without stopping the engine.

True story...

XYY

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

My Fiat Uno was the same.

I went to Newquay in it with my daughter back in 1999 to see the eclipse.

Battery had died when I tried to start it when we were ready to go home, and after getting a jump start I drove 435 miles without stopping the engine.

True story...

XYY

I once drove from Consett to Blackwood in South Wales without stopping, was in a VTEC Civic and I was only able to do because I was on my own and I didn't have to stop for a piss which would have been impossible if I was with the Missus. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Miyagi said:

I once drove from Consett to Blackwood in South Wales without stopping, was in a VTEC Civic and I was only able to do because I was on my own and I didn't have to stop for a piss which would have been impossible if I was with the Missus. 

@The XYY Man will be along to tell you bragsters off any minute now.

But did I mention my non stop drive from Southampton to Lake Garda?