• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

Recommended Posts

New diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned in the UK from 2040 in a bid to tackle air pollution, the government is set to announce.

Ministers will also unveil a £255m fund to help councils tackle emissions from diesel vehicles, as part of a £3bn package of spending on air quality.

The government will publish its court-mandated clean air strategy later, days before a High Court deadline.

Campaigners said the measures were promising, but more detail was needed.

The government was ordered by the courts to produce new plans to tackle illegal levels of harmful pollutant nitrogen dioxide.

It came after judges agreed with environmental campaigners that previous plans were insufficient to meet EU pollution limits.

 

So what this actually is a paper exercise to shut up the EU judges for the next eighteen months by pretending that something will happen in twenty five years.  Mind with Volvo's bending of the language a simple engine stop / start device when stationary qualifies it as a hybrid you can see that it might technically happen by making all cars have this.

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The car park at work, is big, and full. There are no charging thingies. Is the company going to have to install hundreds of them? Who pays for that? Who pays for the actual charging? 

I thought the country was facing blackouts due to power shortages. How is there going to be enough, when every car in the country is being charged up at night?!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2040 is a long way off. I can't see a ban being necessary. After all nobody banned VHS recorders or CRT TVs. More people will have electric vehicles I guess, but the internal combustion engine will rock on.

2 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

The car park at work, is big, and full. There are no charging thingies. Is the company going to have to install hundreds of them? Who pays for that? Who pays for the actual charging? 

I thought the country was facing blackouts due to power shortages. How is there going to be enough, when every car in the country is being charged up at night?!? 

I will run my electric vehicle on red electricity, intended for agricultural use, as it has no colour when in the battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this may be like the FM radio switch off that since the mid-90s is always going to absolutely definitely happen in ten years' time.

I think they may now have cut that ten years to five years but the original announced switch off date is at least a dozen years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

The car park at work, is big, and full. There are no charging thingies. Is the company going to have to install hundreds of them? Who pays for that? Who pays for the actual charging? 

I thought the country was facing blackouts due to power shortages. How is there going to be enough, when every car in the country is being charged up at night?!? 

Our so-called leaders don't even understand that it is women who have children and not military aged men. You would have more luck trying to explain particle physics to a chimpanzee than to get them to understand things like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think this may be like the FM radio switch off that since the mid-90s is always going to absolutely definitely happen in ten years' time.

I think they may now have cut that ten years to five years but the original announced switch off date is at least a dozen years ago.

Germany has decided to keep FM radio as its main broadcasting media. It makes sense. Norway has dispensed with it, but the country is a different shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Germany has decided to keep FM radio as its main broadcasting media. It makes sense. Norway has dispensed with it, but the country is a different shape.

We're taking the middle path of saying we will do it tomorrow; and then not doing it.  It's the easiest way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

We're taking the middle path of saying we will do it tomorrow; and then not doing it.  It's the easiest way.

As with many things. FM radio is substantially good quality and works in cars. I've found DAB to be shit quality.

I know we have "bat ears Mark" here who doesn't like CD quality, but I reckon that's acceptable with a good player, and good mix.

Good mate of mine bought a fairly expensive DAB tuner, to get the "rock" stations, but was disappointed with the poor bit rate in marvellous mono.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

We're taking the middle path of saying we will do it tomorrow; and then not doing it.  It's the easiest way.

 

But like all dithering in this country, the inability to make an open decision such as the above, creates the need to be seen to be doing something that itself creates the opportunity for numerous committees, quangos, announcements, surveys, wasted monies and drift.

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

As with many things. FM radio is substantially good quality and works in cars. I've found DAB to be shit quality.

I know we have "bat ears Mark" here who doesn't like CD quality, but I reckon that's acceptable with a good player, and good mix.

Good mate of mine bought a fairly expensive DAB tuner, to get the "rock" stations, but was disappointed with the poor bit rate in marvellous mono.

I can't hear the difference personally; and only listen to half a dozen channels tops so the only effect upon me would be a couple of my radios, including my car radio,ceasing to work.  I'm really not bithered by it but it does show quite how empty these statements are even with much shorter deadlines.

Saying "23 years" is like saying "never".   It's an empty statement made purely to keep the courts happy.

3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

 

But like all dithering in this country, the inability to make an open decision such as the above, creates the need to be seen to be doing something that itself creates the opportunity for numerous committees, quangos, announcements, surveys, wasted monies and drift.

Yes.

But we do seem to like all of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

 

But like all dithering in this country, the inability to make an open decision such as the above, creates the need to be seen to be doing something that itself creates the opportunity for numerous committees, quangos, announcements, surveys, wasted monies and drift.

Yes, those that praise the "free market" most, don't actually want it.:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine by then battery technology would have evolved so that drivers will be able to stop at a 'petrol' station, plug in and have their batteries recharged in the same time it takes to fill up now. The whole idea of individual homes having charge points will become an optional convenience for those who have garages or driveways. A more pressing issue is where all the additional electricity supply is going to come from, especially with the ideas being discussed at the moment about devices being switched off remotely in homes in periods of high demand. 

Edited by Fossildog
speeling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

I imagine by then battery technology would have evolved so that drivers will be able to stop at a 'petrol' station, plug in and have their batteries recharged in the same time it takes to fill up now. The whole idea of individual homes having charge points will become an optional convenience for those who have garages or driveways. A more pressing issue is where all the additional electricity supply is going to come from, especially with the ideas being discussed at the moment about devices being switched off remotely in homes in periods of high demand. 

As I mentioned on the other thread, the twat headed EU put punitive anti dumping charges on Chinese solar, we should have bitten their arm off and taken everything they are willing to supply at or near cost.

Cheap solar and lots of it would do it. These guys just got 750 mile range out of a build, at around 220W per mile. A handful of panels per house and you'd have free motoring for most people on most days. Average trip length is around 7 miles. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uptherebels said:

The car park at work, is big, and full. There are no charging thingies. Is the company going to have to install hundreds of them? Who pays for that? Who pays for the actual charging? 

I thought the country was facing blackouts due to power shortages. How is there going to be enough, when every car in the country is being charged up at night?!? 

I gues there'll be rates on work car parks.

Or some sort or charge.

I'd start planiing your work commute on public transport.

One level, this is pure poltiics. There is a big problem - pollution in urban areas. In some places its horrendous.

So, make a big announcement put put in 20 years ahead.

File under 'White Heat of technology' that would turn all those manual workers into Drs + scientists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I gues there'll be rates on work car parks.

Or some sort or charge.

I'd start planiing your work commute on public transport.

One level, this is pure poltiics. There is a big problem - pollution in urban areas. In some places its horrendous.

So, make a big announcement put put in 20 years ahead.

File under 'White Heat of technology' that would turn all those manual workers into Drs + scientists.

My work commute is 160 miles one way. No direct rail route either. Anyway, like I said, I'll be dead, so it'll be someone's else's problem :)

 

Hee Hee..... Some sort of charge! 

Edited by Uptherebels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

My work commute is 160 miles one way. No direct rail route either. Anyway, like I said, I'll be dead, so it'll be someone's else's problem :)

 

Hee Hee..... Some sort of charge! 

It's bollocks.  I work in construction and in theory could be sent any where in the country.  My current commute is about average for me at 52 miles each way. It would take more than 2.5 hrs on public transport and I would be at least an hour late every day as it doesn't start early enough on a morning.  The site car park which currently has about 50 cars in it plus about a dozen vans is situated in a farmer's field which is been rented for the duration of the project, how are we supposed to charge vehicles here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ILikeCake said:

It's bollocks.  I work in construction and in theory could be sent any where in the country.  My current commute is about average for me at 52 miles each way. It would take more than 2.5 hrs on public transport and I would be at least an hour late every day as it doesn't start early enough on a morning.  The site car park which currently has about 50 cars in it plus about a dozen vans is situated in a farmer's field which is been rented for the duration of the project, how are we supposed to charge vehicles here?

I suppose you'd need to put in a diesel generator xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem of range and recharging times could easily be solved if all manufacturers built their cars with a standard easliy removable (by fork truck or similar purpose built machine a the charging station) battery. You would just pull in as you would today at a petrol station and the discharged battery be swapped out for a fully charged one in a couple of minutes.

If you hava an appliance that runs on bottled gas, the appliance doesnt have its own integral tank, you simply swap out the empty bottle for a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

New diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned in the UK from 2040 in a bid to tackle air pollution, the government is set to announce.

 

That's a copy of what the French announced two weeks ago. Why is everyone settling on 2040?

A FT journalist who specializes in energy told me it would need 6 Hinkley Points to power all the e-cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, davidg said:

That's a copy of what the French announced two weeks ago. Why is everyone settling on 2040?

Its a date carefully chosen to ensure that all the politicians who have anything to do with it will be retired (on gold plated index linked pensions) by the time it comes around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, davidg said:

That's a copy of what the French announced two weeks ago. Why is everyone settling on 2040?

A FT journalist who specializes in energy told me it would need 6 Hinkley Points to power all the e-cars.

They're subject to the same legal ruing as us; announcing this fulfills the legal commitment for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, davidg said:

That's a copy of what the French announced two weeks ago. Why is everyone settling on 2040?

A FT journalist who specializes in energy told me it would need 6 Hinkley Points to power all the e-cars.

Build 6 Hinkley points.

The latter 3 might be cheap by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.