DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Anyone been to the supermarket?

sam1994

I've been going every couple of days now since I recovered and waited 2 weeks.

I'm not buying a lot but just getting some fresh air and sanity.

My local supermarket which was barren before is now almost fully stocked up. Pasta is still a bit short but it's there. Yeast and flour are a no go as well. Everything else is there.

I've read antibodies may be shortly lived, so I'll probably stock up on Friday and just stay inside for a good long while..

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis

Every two or three days.

Bread flour was finally back in volume yesterday.

Peanut butter is still in erratic supply.

Bread yeast is the big absentee that hasn't been seen for a month.  I'm ok for another three weeks but if there is still none then I will need to buy pre-baked bread.

Every two days, generally, to the local. Slightly different stock purchased to my usual big supermarket but can't be arsed going there just to save £10 a week or get a 40g protein shake rather than 25g.

One percent

Went yesterday. Hit and miss on the fruit and veg side. Still no bread flour but ordinary flour back in stock. No boxes of tissues, just as we move into hay fever season. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Went yesterday. Hit and miss on the fruit and veg side. Still no bread flour but ordinary flour back in stock. No boxes of tissues, just as we move into hay fever season. 

Bog roll doubles as tissues, I remember a girl used to have a roll on her desk at work!

They come from the same production lines but require a machine reset to switch modes, which takes some time I think. 

• Agree 2

One percent
9 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Bog roll doubles as tissues, I remember a girl used to have a roll on her desk at work!

They come from the same production lines but require a machine reset to switch modes, which takes some time I think. 

Oh, there was also no bog roll. Gawd knows what people are doing with it. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Oh, there was also no bog roll. Gawd knows what people are doing with it. 

Think of all the people not shitting at work, doing their own cooking, or on the beer every day... 

• Agree 4
  • Lol 1

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Every two or three days.

Bread flour was finally back in volume yesterday.

Peanut butter is still in erratic supply.

Bread yeast is the big absentee that hasn't been seen for a month.  I'm ok for another three weeks but if there is still none then I will need to buy pre-baked bread.

Make your own using beer, flour, sugar, google it.

Edit: if you have some yeast left, use that to grow more rather than beer?

Edited by snaga
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

So far I’ve done one Costco shop since the lockdown started,  will need to do another one soon.

Not been to any other supermarket but wife has been to local coop a couple of times.

For those struggling with yeast,  look up sour dough bread - essentially making your own yeast.

• Agree 3

Mentalhammer666

I go to lidls at 8am opening time (before the 9am for elderly), or asda at 9pm, closes at 10.

Seems to be very quiet and very well stocked.

Loads of big roll and beer in asda. 

i know it's not a necessary purchase,but can't find charcoal for the bbq. 😕

Edited by Mentalhammer666
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Libspero said:

So far I’ve done one Costco shop since the lockdown started,  will need to do another one soon.

Not been to any other supermarket but wife has been to local coop a couple of times.

For those struggling with yeast,  look up sour dough bread - essentially making your own yeast.

What was Costco like?

I last went the week before the first panic buying kicked off. Having seen the pictures of queues a few weeks back I wasn’t expecting to go again for the duration, so I’m genuinely curious. If there’s one thing worse than a busy supermarket it’s a busy Costco, especially if they have nothing worth making it going for.

Covid19 and life to go

Anyone thinking of using it as an opportunity to ditch eating wheat?  Was a shelf full of buckwheat flour when I went the other day!  I'm finding the same though... Mostly well stocked and even with distancing in place I still fly around on the trolley with feet off the floor vrrroooooom.

• Agree 1

Covid19 and life to go
10 minutes ago, Mentalhammer666 said:

I go to lidls at 8am opening time (before the 9am for elderly), or asda at 9pm, closes at 10.

Seems to be very quiet and very well stocked.

Loads of big roll and beer in asda. 

i know it's not a necessary purchase,but can't find charcoal for the bbq. 😕

Try Lidl they had oodles of coal last time I went there.

Oh you just said you did!!! I'm normally dormant at this time so missed that bit .. did you look outside?

Edited by Covid19 and life to go
Unearthly hour
  • Agree 1

Chewing Grass
6 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Not been to a supermarket.

Go to bookers once a week. Never more than three or four customers there so feels relatively safe.

When I skim read that I saw it as Hookers and it flowed quite nicely, thought it was it bit busy though if you were in a queue.

• Lol 2

Guest Account
46 minutes ago, spunko said:

I've managed to find bread flour but alas no yeast!

Don't forget to ask/look in the cold section for fresh yeast, as well as the baking section for dried yeast.

Bakers will often sell fresh yeast, and dried yeast is well stocked on Amazon. eBay, etc.

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

When I skim read that I saw it as Hookers and it flowed quite nicely, thought it was it bit busy though if you were in a queue.

How would you know what constitutes ‘busy’ at a hookers? 😉

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Melchett said:

I think they implement a one in, one out system.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

Went to Sainsbury's seems to be lots of stuff big run on the eggs though so only some battery and some expensive.  I definitely like Sainsbury's as you are not forced round in a certain direction and I'm a pretty bad shopper at best of times.

Did find an aisle with reduced Passover foods picked up a whole load of different crackers and Kosher dry goods at 10p per item with long date.  They've gone into nectar promotion overdrive too after a hiatus and have my discount pre pay card too so worked out ok.  

Regarding bread flour and yeast have heard that polish shops often have stock not sure if that applies in other cities but could be worth a go.

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Melchett said:

All standing 2M apart waiting to get in...

1 hour ago, One percent said:

What do you mean "move in nto hayfever season"? The trees have been fucking me in the face for well over a month.

• Agree 1