DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Anyone been to the supermarket?

sam1994

Kurt Barlow
3 hours ago, jm51 said:

I've mostly been shopping at Aldi twice a week. Tuesday and Friday mornings. The fruit and veg aisle has always been well stocked. No shortage of the meats I usually buy either. No noticeable price increases.

Last week Wilkos had a decent amount of aspirin on the shelf. Complete with a 'one per customer' notice. I took 2 packets to the till. Numpty burd on the till told me quite firmly that I could only buy one packet 'because it's the law!' wtf??? Store policy is now law of the land? A surprising number of people seem keen on living in a police state.

That is law rather than store policy.. You can buy more in one go but it needs to be OTC at a Chemists. 

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

That is law rather than store policy.. You can buy more in one go but it needs to be OTC at a Chemists. 

Blair made buying 2 packets of aspirin or paracetamol the legal maximum. When did parliament pass a law restricting it to 1 packet?

btw, 2 weeks ago I bought 2 packets of paracetamol from Aldi.

Kurt Barlow
5 minutes ago, jm51 said:

Blair made buying 2 packets of aspirin or paracetamol the legal maximum. When did parliament pass a law restricting it to 1 packet?

btw, 2 weeks ago I bought 2 packets of paracetamol from Aldi.

I thought it was one packet of 16 per purchase at retail outlets that are not chemists. 

But you may be right on this one. 

Just been to B&Q, was very impressed with their procedure, zonings, how the aisles were marked out, letting people in / out at right frequencies to maintain distancing. Limited exposure to till staff. Sanitised trolleys. It was a big thumbs up to the management, very seldom am I impressed with things like that but I could see it was a very well executed operation today. Perhaps this isn't the case nationally but certainly in Reading branch today ran like clockwork.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I thought it was one packet of 16 per purchase at retail outlets that are not chemists. 

But you may be right on this one. 

It's 2 packs of 16 tablets or equivalent. 

So Calpol counts as one I think. 

Aspirin or paracetamol or one of each 

TheCountOfNowhere

My wife went today, got everything expect bread flour and yeast.  Seems that yeast is more precious than gold in a crisis.

1. First, make your starter. In a large bowl, mix together 100g of the flour with 125ml slightly warm water. Whisk together until smooth and lump-free.

2. Transfer the starter to a large jar (a 1-litre Kilner jar is good) or a plastic container. Leave the jar or container lid ajar for 1 hr or so in a warm place (around 25C is ideal), then seal and set aside for 24 hrs.

3. For the next 6 days, you will need to ‘feed’ the starter. Each day, tip away half of the original starter, add an extra 100g of flour and 125ml slightly warm water, and stir well. Try to do this at the same time every day.

4. After 3-4 days you should start to see bubbles appearing on the surface, and it will smell yeasty and a little acidic. This is a good indicator that the starter is working.

5. On day 7, the starter should be quite bubbly and smell much sweeter. It is now ready to be used in baking.

• Agree 3

steppensheep

Go most days. Here (Berlin) Aldi and Lidl are very quiet most of the time and spcially when I go at 10pm. The only supermarket with queues outside seems to be the slightly posher Edeka. Been a "second wave" of toilet paper disappearing. Don't be lulled into false sense of security. Panic buy iy if you get the chance. Only other thing missing is yeast. Some of their "Special Week" items are being repeated after only a couple of weeks. Presumably did not sell. Disappointing absence of bargains in general.

• Agree 1

Lightly Toasted
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

My wife went today, got everything expect bread flour and yeast.  Seems that yeast is more precious than gold in a crisis.

1. First, make your starter. In a large bowl, mix together 100g of the flour with 125ml slightly warm water. Whisk together until smooth and lump-free.

2. Transfer the starter to a large jar (a 1-litre Kilner jar is good) or a plastic container. Leave the jar or container lid ajar for 1 hr or so in a warm place (around 25C is ideal), then seal and set aside for 24 hrs.

3. For the next 6 days, you will need to ‘feed’ the starter. Each day, tip away half of the original starter, add an extra 100g of flour and 125ml slightly warm water, and stir well. Try to do this at the same time every day.

4. After 3-4 days you should start to see bubbles appearing on the surface, and it will smell yeasty and a little acidic. This is a good indicator that the starter is working.

5. On day 7, the starter should be quite bubbly and smell much sweeter. It is now ready to be used in baking.

Bulk bags of bread flour have become available on ebay and are often bundled with yeast. Bakery suppliers I presume, filling a gap in the domestic market.

Yeast is something I routinely keep in the stash (the tinned stuff lasts for ages in the freezer) which is a bit of a shame because now I prefer sourdough (leaner and meaner on feeding the starter though; can't waste flour at a time like this :))

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Just been to B&Q, was very impressed with their procedure, zonings, how the aisles were marked out, letting people in / out at right frequencies to maintain distancing. Limited exposure to till staff. Sanitised trolleys. It was a big thumbs up to the management, very seldom am I impressed with things like that but I could see it was a very well executed operation today. Perhaps this isn't the case nationally but certainly in Reading branch today ran like clockwork.

Same. Been twice in the last week.  Click and collect only here. Place order online, get text, drive to the store and wait in the next available parking bay, person comes out and asks for order number then goes and gets it. Load into car and drive home. 10 mins.

Toolstation today - order online, park up and get in queue outside shop, person asks order number, staff inside shop go get it, bring it out and sit it on a table. Collect, go back to car and drive home. Less than 5 mins.

Very efficient and I'm wondering why someone has to eat a bat before it's implemented. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

But you will no longer have any flour

Go back to the supermarket

Find they now have yeast but no flour

Edited by Hopeful
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Popuplights

Fucking mandatory masks in shops now, from Monday 27th. 

on pain of 1000 dollar fine or 6 months in jail. Harris county, TX.

• Informative 1

Mentalhammer666
15 hours ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

Try Lidl they had oodles of coal last time I went there.

Oh you just said you did!!! I'm normally dormant at this time so missed that bit .. did you look outside?

Got some today, cheers. Not the best of stuff,but will do the job

MrLibertyRedux
4 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Anyone know what burger bap stocks are like at the moment? Having my first BBQ of the year tomorrow.

Tesco has had fresh baked whenever I have been in and Aldi hasn't been short.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
18 hours ago, Harley said:

That's very interesting.  I just checked and we can currently only book up to 12 May and no slots available.  Must be location variable?

Update. I wasn't buggering up my dates after all. Just booked a delivery for May 20th 😀😀

9 hours ago, Popuplights said:

Fucking mandatory masks in shops now, from Monday 27th. 

on pain of 1000 dollar fine or 6 months in jail. Harris county, TX.

How is this being implemented in terms of the actual masks, are people expected to make their own? Get a free one from the gubbermint?

From "masks have no effect" to being forced to wear them by law within a month!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Update. I wasn't buggering up my dates after all. Just booked a delivery for May 20th 😀😀

I owe you one thanks.  I read your post and checked and yep, it was there and I also grabbed a slot so a victory lap around the garden coming!  They only went to 12 May yesterday so must have changed things as normally they only issue one day at a time.

PS:  Asda also now showing slots (all taken!) for the next 14, not the usual and still stated 7, days.

PPS:  This is the closest I hopefully get to on-line gambling!

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, spunko said:

How is this being implemented in terms of the actual masks, are people expected to make their own? Get a free one from the gubbermint?

From wherever, I guarantee they're gonna be big ones!

PS: Regardless, clearly they never received the scientific paper that masks only work on our saintly NHS, although maybe us sinners are about to be prematurely(?) beatified!

Edited by Harley
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I will have a panic attack if I wear one.....officer.

32 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I will have a panic attack if I wear one.....officer.

How will women in Burkas wear a mask, over or under, and of under how will they prove they're wearing one?

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Long time lurking
On 22/04/2020 at 09:02, Libspero said:

I'm avoiding normal supermarkets like the plague.

The problem seems to be capacity..  they just can't get that many people in because of the social distancing rules so if you get a rush they can't cope...  so (anecdotally from a friend who works in Sainsburys) if you are lucky you swan in and get everything you want easily..  if you are unlucky it is queuing around the block.  Apparently this last weekend was horrendous.   

I went to aldi 8.30 last night there was about five people in there,i don`t many have cottoned onto most stores are now open until 10.00pm 

I know it will be store to store but the shelves were pretty much full

• Agree 1

Long time lurking
2 hours ago, spunko said:

Obviously they were the highest bidder,and now have a supply

Popuplights
5 hours ago, spunko said:

Well basically you can use anything to cover your face. We have home made ones , manufactured by one of my wife's friends. Many people are using bandanas or scarfs.

Harris county covers the majority of metropolitan Houston, but I live right on the northern edge, on the border with the next county. Which has NOT  made the same mask rules. So I have to wear it in one supermarket, but not in the next closest one. Clown world

• Informative 1

15 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Well basically you can use anything to cover your face. We have home made ones , manufactured by one of my wife's friends. Many people are using bandanas or scarfs.

Harris county covers the majority of metropolitan Houston, but I live right on the northern edge, on the border with the next county. Which has NOT  made the same mask rules. So I have to wear it in one supermarket, but not in the next closest one. Clown world

Mrs. E just posted one of her creations to Memorial, Houston this very AM. If you'd let her know she could have stuck in some masks in the fabric of your choice.

• Cheers 1