• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Sperm counts falling

"A diet high in alcohol, caffeine, processed meat, soy and potatoes may also have an adverse effect on male fertility."

There have been plenty of studies on soya (soy) and all of the claims put about regarding plant oestrogens originate from the dairy industry. Given that 90% of soya is eaten as livestock fodder, this doesn't really follow through.

Haven't heard of potatoes being the cause before. Apparently, neither has Google.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

"A diet high in alcohol, caffeine, processed meat, soy and potatoes may also have an adverse effect on male fertility."

There have been plenty of studies on soya (soy) and all of the claims put about regarding plant oestrogens originate from the dairy industry. Given that 90% of soya is eaten as livestock fodder, this doesn't really follow through.

Haven't heard of potatoes being the cause before. Apparently, neither has Google.

No-one ever accused the Irish of lacking fertility.

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Due to:

Pesticides, hormone-disrupting chemicals, diet, stress, smoking and obesity

Is it, though? The article points out more than once that the cause (causes?) is unknown. If might be chemicals; it might just as well be the male brain responding to its changing place in society by producing less sperm. We just don't know.

Edited by DeepLurker

18 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

One billion sperm vying for one egg always seemed like overkill to me. TBH half a billion still seems grossly excessive.

It is in an environment where only yours are the ones swimming about up a chuff, when all and sundry have been up there the more you produce the bigger your evolutionary advantage. 

I'm with DeepLurker on this one. As 80% of the male population are being farmed on the UK Plc battery farm production line it'll have an adverse effect on sperm count. Interestingly, they haven't mentioned quality as that'll be down too which is more attributable to environmental factors such as stress, smoking and oestrogen mimicking man-made compounds in the water that have a half life of 100-250 years.

Basically we are fecked and this is mother nature's way of dealing with unhappy chickens.

Edited by longtomsilver

Oestrogen mimics in the water supply, due to the pill. You seen those very interesting incidents where alligators sex reversal caused by environmental oestrogen mimics occurred? 

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-oestrogen-jigsaw-what-have-florida-alligators-pesticides-and-men-with-low-sperm-counts-in-common-1450385.html

(old link I know but very interesting science, especially considering the long-life of these compounds, plastic byproducts and concentration in the food chain)

8 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

They always blame potatoes. The left food lobby hate potatoes... Look how they excluded potatoes from the one of five a day... It is vegetable fascism...

19 minutes ago, JFK said:

Oestrogen mimics in the water supply, due to the pill. You seen those very interesting incidents where alligators sex reversal caused by environmental oestrogen mimics occurred? 

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-oestrogen-jigsaw-what-have-florida-alligators-pesticides-and-men-with-low-sperm-counts-in-common-1450385.html

(old link I know but very interesting science, especially considering the long-life of these compounds, plastic byproducts and concentration in the food chain)

Well, one of the contentious homosexuality discussions is what affect is oestrogen having on the male mind. Ditto the huge rise in men supposedly wanting to be women?

Is this increase simply down to our society being more open, tolerant and liberated... or are vast numbers of men being, cruelly, drugged?

17 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Well, one of the contentious homosexuality discussions is what affect is oestrogen having on the male mind. Ditto the huge rise in men supposedly wanting to be women?

Is this increase simply down to our society being more open, tolerant and liberated... or are vast numbers of men being, cruelly, drugged?

I would say the latter.

Also, being fucking comfortable and not having to think about the harshness in real life.

When I think about it:

- I'm 45, I grew up with the very real threat of a nuclear conflict and that we were *this* close to global thermonuclear war, my mum remembered the Cuban missile crisis as it was happening and described how everyone was really shitting themselves that, basically, there would be nukes flying. When I was watching X-men first class with my eldest - I was trying to describe the Cuban missile crisis and portray the fear growing up in the 80s of this.

- Family who were in warfare / conflict. My dad enlisted in the forces and was stationed in Malta, north africa and cyprus, my grandad was in the merchant navy and torpedoed in  WW2

- Growing up in shitsville in Liverpool in the 80s, you didn't have the relative luxuries and comforts that you have now.  You realised that life was tough, you had to work hard and nothing was given to you (unlike the stereotypical winging scousers and benefit scroungers - of which a fair part of my family were, my dad fucking hates them as he's a grafter), I was brought up to not believe I was owed a living.  The school of hard knocks.

Basically the nation is soft. They are complacent. They are used to shit being given to them for free - there is a feeling of entitlement and it's someone else's responsibility to provide for you, e.g. tax the rich sentiment etc. My ex is like this despite being from quite a middle class privileged background. I would classify myself as from a skilled working class background.

Now we have feelings are more important than facts and they triumph all.  The mirror of narcissim is the pinnacle of achievement and what you can boast in the echo chamber of social media.

It's all fucking bullshit quite frankly.

Edited by JFK
beer induced crap grammar / spelling.

7 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Good. Sperm are henchmen of the Patriarchy. Or something.

18lsjc.jpg

Yeah she looks like she needs to reduce her food intake and go on a high-protein diet ... anybody want to oblige???

*barf*

I'm going to hypothesise that it is due to western males not having enough sex.  The hypothesis says that the body recognises that it doesn't need to be producing sperm*, so focuses on other, more productive, things to do.

I'm happy to be part of the experiment where I overdose on sex for a few months and see if my sperm count increases. 

[* this isn't a particularly well thought through hypothesis, but it has been more thought through than the potato hypothesis, so is worth a punt.]

1 hour ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Paging CCC....

he definitely would ...

3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Good. Sperm are henchmen of the Patriarchy. Or something.

18lsjc.jpg

christ. the fucking size of her. how old is she? I bet she's not even 30. where is that pic from?

3 hours ago, JFK said:

I would say the latter.

Also, being fucking comfortable and not having to think about the harshness in real life.

When I think about it:

- I'm 45, I grew up with the very real threat of a nuclear conflict and that we were *this* close to global thermonuclear war, my mum remembered the Cuban missile crisis as it was happening and described how everyone was really shitting themselves that, basically, there would be nukes flying. When I was watching X-men first class with my eldest - I was trying to describe the Cuban missile crisis and portray the fear growing up in the 80s of this.

- Family who were in warfare / conflict. My dad enlisted in the forces and was stationed in Malta, north africa and cyprus, my grandad was in the merchant navy and torpedoed in  WW2

- Growing up in shitsville in Liverpool in the 80s, you didn't have the relative luxuries and comforts that you have now.  You realised that life was tough, you had to work hard and nothing was given to you (unlike the stereotypical winging scousers and benefit scroungers - of which a fair part of my family were, my dad fucking hates them as he's a grafter), I was brought up to not believe I was owed a living.  The school of hard knocks.

Basically the nation is soft. They are complacent. They are used to shit being given to them for free - there is a feeling of entitlement and it's someone else's responsibility to provide for you, e.g. tax the rich sentiment etc. My ex is like this despite being from quite a middle class privileged background. I would classify myself as from a skilled working class background.

Now we have feelings are more important than facts and they triumph all.  The mirror of narcissim is the pinnacle of achievement and what you can boast in the echo chamber of social media.

It's all fucking bullshit quite frankly.

Please tell me you don't have that weird Liverpool accent. I will have to read your threads in an entirely different way if you do.

11 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Please tell me you don't have that weird Liverpool accent. I will have to read your threads in an entirely different way if you do.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-sayings-top-26-things-6463028

Fortunately I'm quite civilised and the scouse edge appears only a few bevvies (laaaaar).  It's not all it's cracked up to be as living in Manc so long I've got more of a manc nasal twang which is the worse of both worlds!!!! 

:PissedOff: