• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Harley

Corona Smarties

Posted (edited)

Yeh sure, clap the NHS, wonderful to a tee.  And let's not forget the post people, delivery drivers, refuse collectors, and all the others who's unsung value has nicely come to the fore.  And yeh, let's boo those organisations just taking the opportunity to virtue signal.  But any local heroes near you?  Like businesses, etc that have shown a degree or imagination and cleverness in dealing with CV.  Those ones that made you think "clever"!

Not the best example as not rocket science but my (normally quite progressive) local garden centre must have worked really hard as much to keep their business open as to truely serve the community.  They have managed to implement a new on-line sales system and provide a click and collect service in a matter of weeks.  You order on-line, they notify you, you drive to their car park, and one of their staff loads your car boot with the products.  They had a zero internet presence before so I appreciate the amount of work they put in to get it up and running so quickly.  I hope they survive as they tried, they deserve it.

Oh, and a number of local pubs and local community associations providing (rather excellent looking) meals, some at very reasonable prices.  They even deliver!

Any claps for other smarties out there?

Edited by Harley

I have to fill out a form on my garden centre / nursery's website and wait for them to ring me - which takes days. I guess most folk dont have the wherewithal to set up an ecommerce website - it takes a few hours on Shopify if you're semi computer literate. If I was running a business that sold physical stock I'd have done that within the first day... failing to adapt & change is one of the biggest business killers, so it does make you wonder if some of them almost deserve to go under.

I refuse to believe that among say 10 staff, there isn't someone with the technical knowhow to create a basic Shopify website.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, spunko said:

I have to fill out a form on my garden centre / nursery's website and wait for them to ring me - which takes days. I guess most folk dont have the wherewithal to set up an ecommerce website - it takes a few hours on Shopify if you're semi computer literate. If I was running a business that sold physical stock I'd have done that within the first day... failing to adapt & change is one of the biggest business killers, so it does make you wonder if some of them almost deserve to go under.

I refuse to believe that among say 10 staff, there isn't someone with the technical knowhow to create a basic Shopify website.

Agree, or an enterprising web company getting out there and selling turnkey systems like crazy.  But there's also a lot of work in setting up the data (stocks, re-order levels, etc) if you're of any size.  Plus maybe infrastructure (e.g. telecoms), especially at times like this.   Fact is they got on and did it.  Many just took their £10k, rates rebates, etc.  Maybe that £10k is looking even more of a bad deal.  Government intervention more often than not just sucks.  The positive energy from the pubs and community association is heartwarming.   Anyways, I'm trying to be upbeat and positive here!

Edited by Harley

2 hours ago, Harley said:

Yeh sure, clap the NHS, wonderful to a tee.  And let's not forget the post people, delivery drivers, refuse collectors, and all the others who's unsung value has nicely come to the fore.  And yeh, let's boo those organisations just taking the opportunity to virtue signal.  But any local heroes near you?  Like businesses, etc that have shown a degree or imagination and cleverness in dealing with CV.  Those ones that made you think "clever"!

Not the best example as not rocket science but my (normally quite progressive) local garden centre must have worked really hard as much to keep their business open as to truely serve the community.  They have managed to implement a new on-line sales system and provide a click and collect service in a matter of weeks.  You order on-line, they notify you, you drive to their car park, and one of their staff loads your car boot with the products.  They had a zero internet presence before so I appreciate the amount of work they put in to get it up and running so quickly.  I hope they survive as they tried, they deserve it.

Oh, and a number of local pubs and local community associations providing (rather excellent looking) meals, some at very reasonable prices.  They even deliver!

They have almost no value. Their jobs can be done by any able-bodied person. They are more dispensable than medieval serfs. In those times if the Lord of the Manor lost a serf then he would have a hard time finding a new one. He would have to wait until one of his peasant wenches gave birth, then wait 12 years. Very tough for the medieval employer.

Nowadays, if your delivery driver, picker, packer, refuse collector, factory operative doesn't do exactly what you want them to, feel free to sack them on the spot and have them replaced the next day. There is (has been) an almost infinite supply of labour for employers so the value of their employees' labour tends to zero.

The only thing preventing these employers from paying true value - around £3 p/h I would suggest - is the NMW legislation. These people are far closer to slaves than heroes. Clapping them seems perverse.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, billfunk said:

They have almost no value. Their jobs can be done by any able-bodied person. They are more dispensable than medieval serfs. In those times if the Lord of the Manor lost a serf then he would have a hard time finding a new one. He would have to wait until one of his peasant wenches gave birth, then wait 12 years. Very tough for the medieval employer.

Nowadays, if your delivery driver, picker, packer, refuse collector, factory operative doesn't do exactly what you want them to, feel free to sack them on the spot and have them replaced the next day. There is (has been) an almost infinite supply of labour for employers so the value of their employees' labour tends to zero.

The only thing preventing these employers from paying true value - around £3 p/h I would suggest - is the NMW legislation. These people are far closer to slaves than heroes. Clapping them seems perverse.

You miserable, but maybe correct, git! :)

But it is not them per se.  It's the service they perform.  The glue we all ignore because we are all so much "better".  Yes, we are on a road to serfdom, me, you next.

Anyways, I didn't start this thread as a repository for such negativity!

There's always some good out there.

Edited by Harley

3 hours ago, Harley said:

Don't want to cross-contaminate, but an OT (non virus) thread links to:

* A restaurant wholesaler doing collection points, and some deliveries

* A national organic veg box scheme using their logistics network to deliver many more non-organic boxes

* A florist branching out to national veg box deliveries

Massive disruption going on in delivered to home fruit/veg/pantry. 

Will be interesting to see which sticks, which prospers, and which fails. If Aldi & Lidl were the first wave of competition for the big 4, could all these new home deliveries be the second?

After all, who really wants to spend time to walk/drive to a supermarket, traipse around, then queue to get out of the bloody place?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

Will be interesting to see which sticks, which prospers, and which fails. If Aldi & Lidl were the first wave of competition for the big 4, could all these new home deliveries be the second?

That's interesting and may have legs.  I love trying to spot the disrupters to the disrupters.  Your idea brings back vague childhood memories of the man with a van coming around selling toothpaste(?) and stuff.  And that went back centuries.  Maybe time to come back in some way.  But would ideally need someone at home, like the missus in the days when one salary was enough.  Maybe tomorrow, when one salary is all you can get! 

So getting on thread (easily done, don't you worry!), a macro trend of widespread disruption creating new ways of working and living, etc.  An opportunity for the smarties to flourish?  Or a consolidation of the grip of the old guard? 

Furthermore, it's interesting how things like home delivery which were mostly perceived as luxuries become repriced to become quasi essentials.  I've been looking at solar.  Not a persuasive financial case but further price changes or even blackouts and the sums change. 

Money versus utility versus value.  Maybe it's all up for grabs, hopefully by the smarties.  

PS: Bit scary but I was posting about this later point just before CV and the financial response.  Something in me waters?  

Edited by Harley

Posted (edited)

Some of the newer breweries, like Vocation, are probably doing better than before. I've taken delivery of 96 cans in two batches handing over £200+. (They were imperial stouts and double IPAs!) 

One of their new lines sold out online in a day, I have about 40 cans left in the spare bedroom and they are gold dust apparently... 

Edited by Stuey

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Stuey said:

One of their new lines sold out online in a day, I have about 40 cans left in the spare bedroom and they are gold dust apparently... 

Better than Bitcoin!

PS:  Reminds me of the days travelling the world as a kid and my dad using bottles of Jonny Walker (red label of course) as a passport.  Better than any local currency.  As I said, money v utility v value!

Edited by Harley

6 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Some of the newer breweries, like Vocation, are probably doing better than before. I've taken delivery of 96 cans in two batches handing over £200+. (They were imperial stouts and double IPAs!) 

I think you are spot on.  I wonder the what the actual figures are for the smaller crafty brewers on average... As in what the profit margin is between the off trade (like ordering direct from them) and on trade in the pub or on tap.  Guessing it's a lot more value in selling direct but for ones like vocation (think they are medium size craft) I'm sure a lot of business comes through pubs.

A fair few local brewers are offering free delivery or collection etc and probably making it work.  I have ordered a couple of times through brewdog as they had a sale on.  I think I read recently that they were also starting collection from the a few of there pubs with a whopping 50% discount for NHS workers.  I know they are not small but think they have always had their finger on the pulse and know how to market.

2 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

a whopping 50% discount for NHS workers.  I know they are not small but think they have always had their finger on the pulse and know how to market.

I think NHS workers deserve to be twice as drunk as normal people.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I think NHS workers deserve to be twice as drunk as normal people.

I don't care as long as I'm not the one being treated.  Would love to wangle that 50% discount though somehow 🤔

2 hours ago, Stuey said:

Good man. I assume you have tried Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout? I had it on draught once and it was the best thing I have ever drunk. Bottles are still excellent though a bit fizzy and lacking the life of the draught version.

Local council sent out an email with a link to a page on their website with all the local food places that deliver and which area that deliver to.  I was quite imitated by that.

Today, a hard copy serviced in the letterbox, seems to have been produced by the retailers themselves.

On 22/04/2020 at 13:27, billfunk said:

I can see where you are coming from but I’m not totally convinced. It is the benefit class that has no value. The min wage workers are harder to find than you may think. I’ve mentioned before that I smile when I hear the old “ I will pack this in and stack shelves or put these cherries on the bake well.” These jobs are not easy. Most people couldn’t do them. And the Benny system means that people who don’t have to do them won’t do them. I’m not sure where you get your £3 per hour figure from. Anyways it’s all moot. The working class has been squeezed for everything. They are going for the middle class next.

6 minutes ago, Shamone said:

I can see where you are coming from but I’m not totally convinced. It is the benefit class that has no value. The min wage workers are harder to find than you may think. I’ve mentioned before that I smile when I hear the old “ I will pack this in and stack shelves or put these cherries on the bake well.” These jobs are not easy. Most people couldn’t do them. And the Benny system means that people who don’t have to do them won’t do them. I’m not sure where you get your £3 per hour figure from. Anyways it’s all moot. The working class has been squeezed for everything. They are going for the middle class next.

I'm not saying the jobs are easy. I do one myself, it can be quite hard work. Anyone ever wrapped a pallet? Sounds like a piece of piss but it is quite hard on your legs and respiratory system. Fatties find it very tough. Do it 20 or more times in a day and you know about it. Likewise destuffing containers: how does handballing 1000 coffee machines onto pallets sound. Great. We have three containers in today. Good luck.

Problem is, Eastern Europe is chock full of young men who have conveniently priced their labour at next to nothing. Quite happy to grind away all day for £8.50 an hour. Which means that this very hard work is priced as low as possible. The £3 p/h estimate is what I think the labour would be priced at if it weren't for NMW, EE immigration and bank credit blowing a property bubble.

1 minute ago, billfunk said:

I'm not saying the jobs are easy. I do one myself, it can be quite hard work. Anyone ever wrapped a pallet? Sounds like a piece of piss but it is quite hard on your legs and respiratory system. Fatties find it very tough. Do it 20 or more times in a day and you know about it. Likewise destuffing containers: how does handballing 1000 coffee machines onto pallets sound. Great. We have three containers in today. Good luck.

Did you get my old job at Argos?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, billfunk said:

Problem is, Eastern Europe is chock full of young men who have conveniently priced their labour at next to nothing. Quite happy to grind away all day for £8.50 an hour. Which means that this very hard work is priced as low as possible. The £3 p/h estimate is what I think the labour would be priced at if it weren't for NMW, EE immigration and bank credit blowing a property bubble.

Fair play. Actually I did a fair bit of palletising when I worked at the chicken factory. It was hard! Also feeding the ingredients into the machines was quite tough. I guess my point was that employers do sometimes struggle to fill posts. Most of the gimmigrants are fine if it’s purely manual, but anything involving written instructions or even a minute bit of initiative and they are buggared. The chicken factory was full of them when I left, but there were none as posties which I subsequently nor in a lot of  the low wage jobs I did later. Certainly my current employer wouldn’t touch one.

Edited by Shamone
Spelling

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, billfunk said:

Good man. I assume you have tried Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout? I had it on draught once and it was the best thing I have ever drunk. Bottles are still excellent though a bit fizzy and lacking the life of the draught version.

I used to live near their Red Lion in Leeds City centre and liked a hand pull  stout in there.. Might have been called Taddy Stout or something like that 

Edited by Stuey
Extra Stout

2 minutes ago, Shamone said:

Fair play. Actually I did a fair bit of palletising when I worked at the chicken factory. It was hard! Also feeding the ingredients into the machines was quite tough. I guess my point was that employers do sometimes struggle to fill posts. Most of the gimmigrants are fine if it’s purely manual, but anything involving written instructions or even a minute bit of initiative and they are buggared. The chicken factory was full of them when I left, but there were none as posties which I subsequently nor in a lot of  the low wage jobs I did later. Certainly my current employer wouldn’t touch one.

The only time we struggle to fill posts is when retailers pay extra in the run-up to Christmas. Even then we get them PDQ. The supply is almost limitless, it seems, pushing the value of the work to almost nothing (NMW aside). They would pay us a lot less if they could.

I was speaking to a Bulgarian bloke recently and he said Bulgaria was basically a Mafia run country. You would work for someone for a few weeks then they would just refuse to pay you. They would just tell you to fuck off and you would get nothing and there would be nothing you could do about it. Your pay would be £0 p/h. Proper lawless fucktard anarchy. Compared to that, UK NMW is fucking utopia, with or without the UK rentier scum siphoning off 40%.

34 minutes ago, billfunk said:

Pallet wrapping is hard work. Unless you invest a few £k in a basic semi automated machine which could be operated by a one armed bloke in a wheelchair.

12 minutes ago, billfunk said:

The only time we struggle to fill posts is when retailers pay extra in the run-up to Christmas. Even then we get them PDQ. The supply is almost limitless, it seems, pushing the value of the work to almost nothing (NMW aside). They would pay us a lot less if they could.

I was speaking to a Bulgarian bloke recently and he said Bulgaria was basically a Mafia run country. You would work for someone for a few weeks then they would just refuse to pay you. They would just tell you to fuck off and you would get nothing and there would be nothing you could do about it. Your pay would be £0 p/h. Proper lawless fucktard anarchy. Compared to that, UK NMW is fucking utopia, with or without the UK rentier scum siphoning off 40%.

Is it a factory I guess? The chicken place was full of them when I left. Also what part of UK are you? Here in Herefordshire they have been around a long time and many employers are wary of them. If it’s a total grunt slave you want they are great, but any form of thinking or initiative and game over. That’s why all the many many farms around here will not recruit locals, they make money on the accommodation and the work takes no brain. Also, is Bulgaria even EU? Jesus the Poles were bad enough. Was funny seeing some Russians taken away by armed immigration police one afternoon shift, though.

2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Pallet wrapping is hard work. Unless you invest a few £k in a basic semi automated machine which could be operated by a one armed bloke in a wheelchair.

You're funny. This isn't Amazon. We haven't invested in anything for years. Just chuck more cheap agency labour at it.

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Kind of like investing in an automated car wash!