• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Heffalump

Planting fridge sprouted stuff

Just cleaned my fridge, and found a couple of sprouting onions. I've done this before with both fridge sprouted onions and garlic, and they've worked well - even in a difficult, cold place to grow. I figure if they're up for sprouting in the fridge, they should be given a chance in the wild.

fridge_sprouted_onions.thumb.png.15c6c2d143a07db1acaeb9fd1577adab.png

I've stuck them in big pots (covered up to the green bits with earth after this photo), so will chuck in any other fridge sprouted things that appear, then do an update photo in the autumn after harvest. Just for me to keep track, as much as anything else. Super easy gardening.

fridge_onions_planted.thumb.png.6707908cb17cc9e00785b3f7d7c93220.png

50 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

Just cleaned my fridge, and found a couple of sprouting onions. I've done this before with both fridge sprouted onions and garlic, and they've worked well - even in a difficult, cold place to grow. I figure if they're up for sprouting in the fridge, they should be given a chance in the wild.

fridge_sprouted_onions.thumb.png.15c6c2d143a07db1acaeb9fd1577adab.png

I've stuck them in big pots (covered up to the green bits with earth after this photo), so will chuck in any other fridge sprouted things that appear, then do an update photo in the autumn after harvest. Just for me to keep track, as much as anything else. Super easy gardening.

fridge_onions_planted.thumb.png.6707908cb17cc9e00785b3f7d7c93220.png

I've tried this with a sprouting onion but all I got was seeds. I've also tried with the sprouting top of a parsnip that I found in my wormery, planted out it grew shoots but not much more.

With garlic or shallots (which replicate by division) you might get bunches of new bulbs.

OTOH you want to be careful with onion white rot, which can get into the soil and be a long-term problem. You're wise growing them in pots, perhaps.

Posted (edited)

Chilli seeds from the Asian supermarket chillies I planted earlier in the month have just been moved from seed tray to 3 inch pots. Was sceptical they would even germinate but seem to be doing brilliantly in the kitchen window.

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
Addition