DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Indoor Tv aerial

Ash4781b

Our outdoor aerial doesn’t appear to work any more and I thought I would buy an indoor tv aerial. But they are rather pricey at £25 ish. However, I’ve seen a YouTube video of a chap using a paper clip and remember the tales of coat hangers and a well student days of having one person holding the aerial duties. I see sometimes the indoor antennas have powered amplifiers so have gain.

Does anyone have any tricks or is it all snake oil ? Aerial on the roof or get internet tv ?

Aww yeah I’m distance terms I’m ok at 3miles but not in a great reception area. Paperclip only gave bbc1 audio only. I just wanted to record shows and build up a plex library

1 minute ago, Ash4781b said:

Aww yeah I’m distance terms I’m ok at 3miles but not in a great reception area. Paperclip only gave bbc1 audio only. I just wanted to record shows and build up a plex library

Normal aerial in loft if accessible  rather than outside an option as well. will get reasonable reception through roof tiles - jus like using an indoor aerial but proper size and shape and out of the way, but not outside obviously.

• Agree 1

Democorruptcy
On 22/04/2020 at 15:08, Ash4781b said:

Our outdoor aerial doesn’t appear to work any more

Have you tried re-tuning the channels?

My signal's been all over the place for about a fortnight and one day this week was a black screen until I re-tuned but OK since. 

• Agree 1

Forget tv aerials, Freesat is highly under rated, it seems to mostly end up being used on holiday homes, caravans, that sort of thing, but I had trouble getting TV signal in my last house, decided to make use of the existing sat dish with a freesat box and haven't looked back since.

Edited by Snark
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Have you used get-iplayer?

Hacked up the paperclip antenna and it’s working ok on the bbc channels. Setup is old ps3tv tuner into a laptop and I have NextPvr, Kodi (with one of the PVR plugins) Jriver and windows media center installed. Jriver had signal strength analysis so used that to position antenna. I am surprised how each software faired. They must have different transmitter frequency data for channel search and I guess a re-tune did help. Looking on online suggests a recent ish rejig to accommodate 4G.

One problem is I have picked up a few HD channels which cannot be decoded with this decoder.

I 1A9B1E85-2384-46B3-B823-DD0BB7C9923C.jpeg.d8d7f0640712bfb24faedfccb0567299.jpegI have no idea how I managed to make an aerial! I’d like to say it’s mathematically derived! I just looked here and gave it a go https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_antenna

10 hours ago, dgul said:

Have you used get-iplayer?

No I will take a look. I did wonder whether something like that program existed. Cheers.

9D94895A-E9A1-4346-ADB3-45560B920D67.jpeg

Is freesat adding 4K HD channels? I see they do a decoder box. Funny I do have a satellite dish.

Edit:- can you get indoor dishes or is it the large dish only? Not those giant ones I used to see on houses in my youth ( assumed they were for those foreign channels that showed those French films)

Edited by Ash4781b

OurDayWillCome
On 23/04/2020 at 15:04, onlyme said:

Normal aerial in loft if accessible  rather than outside an option as well. will get reasonable reception through roof tiles - jus like using an indoor aerial but proper size and shape and out of the way, but not outside obviously.

Since the age of digital, an aerial in the loft will do - it only used to work if you had clear view of a transmitter mast. As for freesat - definitely the best option.

Freesat catch up also on the net via their app which runs on android and a smart TV.  Catchup far better than live (more control) other than not shows all available.  But then you could load the individual channel apps.

goldbug9999
On 23/04/2020 at 14:58, Ash4781b said:

I just wanted to record shows and build up a plex library

Why bother though ? almost everything is on iplayer / itv-player /4od etc and the rest is on torrent sites (see my entry in this forums knowledge base for the best ones).

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2020 at 06:32, The XYY Man said:

Agree with @One percent and @Snark - Freesat is the dog's bollocks.

Dual-input Humax PDR box downstairs and the same in my mancave fed from existing Sky dish the previous tenant left with 4x LNB outputs.

If you're used to Sky+, you'll find it pretty similar. 

Only you'll be paying £0 per month...

XYY

I should get a dish. My TV has satellite capability.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

Once I hooked the display via vga instead of hdmi the HD and a couple of other multiplexes appeared. These were at 666.2mhz channel 45+ For HD channels according to the web. C40 626mhz also appeared. Presumably some kind of interference from the monitor or cable? What’s it likely to be stray rf from a hdmi chip ? Running off a i7 laptop.

Edited by Ash4781b