DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Half a trillion pounds.

swiss_democracy_for_all

swiss_democracy_for_all
7 minutes ago, spunko said:

Always beware the rounded number when it comes from government. It's far too exact so it's probably way higher. 

I don't doubt it. A bit like estimates to build any large project in the UK, they're usually an order of magnitude too low as they don't take account of the troughing and incompetence.

Just to prove I'm a complete evil Nazi cunt (apparently the thought process outlined in the OP means I am to many people) who can laugh a bit at himself, here's the Daily Mash's take on my standpoint.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/the-right-wingers-guide-to-why-we-should-all-die-to-help-the-economy-20200420195668

17 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

They're not giving me 8k 

So whoever is getting nine please enjoy it.

All I got was a few free kids meals that other families could not be arsed to get.saved throwing them.im very disappointed 

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Quoted on the BBC lunchtime news - for 6 months of lockdown (as it will surely be at least that in total when the following waves hit next winter)

Just think about that number. 

500, 000, 000, 000 GBP.

Nearly 8000 GBP for every living soul in the UK. 

16k GBP for every taxpayer.(31 million)

When tax credits and other in-work bennies, plus school, healthcare etc are taken into account, I've no idea how many are NET taxpayers, let's say half the taxpayers? It's probably less than that but not sure. 

32k GBP for every net taxpayer.

Plus the coming unemployment, civic unrest and all that will accompany the economic depression, 

Pushing the UK into Greece-like levels of national debt - probably in teh order of 150% or more. Unpayable, in other words.

All to save a few hundred thousand oldies from being given a little push into the hereafter, and a few thousand unlucky others who are unfortunate enough to be vulnerable. 

The nation wasn't threatened, it's not war. It is NOTHING like 1939.

This is insanity. And not a single voice has been raised against it, because the Twitter hysterics rule.

This is one of the key metrics, as I understand. Though I have heard serious stress is 200-250% of GDP. The beauty of this crisis is that we are losing the battle at both ends - increasing debt whilst simultaneously decreasing GDP. Big economies are juggernauts and whatever the initial damage to GDP and debt, it will only get worse in the years following. Just look at the anaemic recovery after the 2008 crash. We were supposedly in an era of austerity yet debt to GDP was only just capped.

I am interested to see just how the banks keep the currency afloat. Presumably inflation is the only game in town? After all they couldn't bear a house price crash. Or could they? All I know is that every month I look at the situation I am minded to move money out of NSI 0% savings and into physical gold. I am in stages turning Indian.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

This is insanity. And not a single voice has been raised against it, because the Twitter hysterics rule.

This is because the UK is fundamentally a socalist/communist whatever state anyway (well....Northern Ireland definately is) i.e. most people whether they realize it or not rely on the government's Magic Money Tree to live, either via public sector jobs, public sector-funded private sector jobs, and/or benefits. There's very few truly independent earners, people who are actually making their own living.

As you say, there is a smaller and smaller percentage of the population that's actually paying for all this whilst receiving no benefits in return. In fact not only do they not receive benefits, they're now being denied the health care that their taxes are meant to pay for. If it's 32K for each net tax payer, what about if we exclude those who will actually be in receipt of some of this money i.e the 10K-35K grants; the figure goes even higher.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 9

55 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

They're not giving me 8k 

it's not the money they are giving, it's the money they are not taking.

• Agree 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

They're not giving me 8k 

I think you misunderstand - you and/or your husband and children have to GIVE 8k, and you get no say where it goes. It's being spent as I write.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ad_ceng said:

I am one of these and I am no longer playing the game, I am looking for a remote house in rural location and stepping out the tax paying game. I suspect many are going to do the same if they can

Yes I hope to spend my remaining decades earning enough to get by without suffering too much stress - since the extra money earned from the stress would mostly go to the government. Just need to get a modest house somewhere sorted.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 3

Austin Allegro
11 minutes ago, HolyCow said:

Nobody has to be taxed or lose out. Surely they can just print from the magic money tree forever and we can all be winners...?

Just read a couple of posters on Jeff Taylor's youtube channel claiming the lockdown will not hurt the UK economy because 'modern monetary theory' will enable it all to be paid for.

You can't make this sh*t up!

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Just read a couple of posters on Jeff Taylor's youtube channel claiming the lockdown will not hurt the UK economy because 'modern monetary theory' will enable it all to be paid for.

Well, are they wrong!? Heads the bankers win, tails the taxpayer loses.

Chewing Grass
8 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

He is probably right as most people should in reality be working 20 hour weeks as everything is that inefficient/efficient depending on which way you look at it.

We are forced to work long hours to pay interest to our financial masters which also prevents the devil making work for idle hands as per certain alternatively educated communities.

Every country is doing the same thing so the net effect will be very minimal.

Edited by Chewing Grass
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

I am one of these and I am no longer playing the game, I am looking for a remote house in rural location and stepping out the tax paying game. I suspect many are going to do the same if they can

I dont want or need the competition because I have the same plan.

• Agree 2

Austin Allegro
7 minutes ago, HolyCow said:

Well, are they wrong!? Heads the bankers win, tails the taxpayer loses.

I was tempted to rip him a new one, but yes, he's basically right. It all depends how far down the road they can kick the can this time. They managed 12 years since the last crash. They've managed to prevent house prices from crashing indefinitely so maybe they will find a way to prevent hyperinflation as well.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

2 minutes ago, MaxTheCat said:

I dont want or need the competition because I have the same plan.

Am I actually ahead of the game for once?

:Passusabeer:

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

Just now, Hopeful said:

Am I actually ahead of the game for once?

:Passusabeer:

No need to gloat, its not plesant unless of course its me doing the gloating.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, TheNickos said:

Pity Covid ain’t selective...

In some ways it is,  high mortality rates when it eventually gets into care homes and hospitals but  initially those who are susceptible particularly in the west are the highly mobile. If there is no vaccine and it comes back time and again with similar risk each time it is caught (a lot of ifs) then being not particularly mobile, nor social and away from population centres will make a lot of sense.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I sure as hell hope so

I hope so too. I’m aged early 60’s but will definitely not be self isolating and prepared to be untreated if I become ill.

I’m happy to be one of the herd and live life on life’s terms......you’d think people would show more gratitude for my common sense instead of a look of horror on their face and more or less saying I’m an idiot for not heeding government advice!

• Agree 6

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

I hope so too. I’m aged early 60’s but will definitely not be self isolating and prepared to be untreated if I become ill.

I’m happy to be one of the herd and live life on life’s terms......you’d think people would show more gratitude for my common sense instead of a look of horror on their face and more or less saying I’m an idiot for not heeding government advice!

the day government advice says back to normal it will be BOOM

everyone will forget about everything regarding infection bceause they will have been told it's OK - Covid19 is dead.

the country is really, very full of morons.

And because of that the economy and life is trashed

What was that film where some procreate and others don't ? 'Something' world, wasn't it?

• Agree 2