• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

TV That Hasn’t Aged Well

Posted (edited)

I have very fond memories of Dave Allen. He also has quite the reputation still.

So, what with there being nothing on Netflix and it not being even worth looking at Freeview, I looked up his stuff on YouTube.

TBH, his stuff hasn’t aged well. There’s a few minutes of brilliance in each hour, but it’s mostly pretty pedestrian observational comedy, only given any edge by fags, booze and swearing. 

So, what I’m looking for in this thread is stuff that you fondly remember, only to find out it’s actually a bit shit. Or at best not so special after all.

Edited by Melchett

1 minute ago, Melchett said:

I have very fond memories of Dave Allen. He also has quite the reputation still.

So, what with there being nothing on Netflix and it not being even worth looking at Freeview, I looked up his stuff on YouTube.

TBH, his stuff hasn’t aged well. There’s a few minutes of brilliance in each hour, but it’s mostly pretty pedestrian observational comedy, only given any edge by fags, booze and swearing. 

So, what I’m looking for in this thread is stuff that you fondly remember, only to find out it’s actually a bit shit. Or at best not so special after all.

"This Life". The people are all utter wankers, quite how I didn't notice at the time is beyond me.

5 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Blake’s 7

I will hear no word spoken demeaning it’s sticky backed plastic brilliance! 😱

Seriously, does anyone else recall the episode of blue peter when they made replicas of some of the props out of old washing up liquid bottles and the ubiquitous mysterious self adhesive vinyl?

The Goodies.

I absolutely loved it as a child; it was the best prgramme of the week.

Sky decided to repeat it about 1990, I was in a house share that had all this telly stuff, and I was so looking forward to it that I had even prepared and labelled a tape to record the first series.

I watched the first episode with a sinking heart as it started badly and got worse.

It had dated terribly and I was so disappointed.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

The Goodies.

I absolutely loved it as a child; it was the best prgramme of the week.

Sky decided to repeat it about 1990, I was in a house share that had all this telly stuff, and I was so looking forward to it that I had even prepared and labelled a tape to record the first series.

I watched the first episode with a sinking heart as it started badly and got worse.

It had dated terribly and I was so disappointed.

Imagine how I feel. I bought DVDs of it as a present for my wife. I don’t think we’ve ever watched them all.

3 minutes ago, Melchett said:

I will hear no word spoken demeaning it’s sticky backed plastic brilliance! 😱

Seriously, does anyone else recall the episode of blue peter when they made replicas of some of the props out of old washing up liquid bottles and the ubiquitous mysterious self adhesive vinyl?

I saw a TV special on it a few years ago.  The props guy said that when they started running out of phaser guns and transporter bracelets they actually made new ones following the Blue Peter guide beacuse they were so realistic!

2 minutes ago, Big Boy said:

You've included the apostrophe - which is better than they managed.

I still think "Blakes 7" is good.  Terrible sets, but very dark and with the lovely Jacqueline Pearce.

Series 1 was good.  Series 2 was superb.

Then Blake left and it got steadily worse and worse.

The nadir was some garbage about Hells Angels in space ("Space Rats") and the computer had been replaced by some dreadful lump called Slave.

1 minute ago, Melchett said:

Imagine how I feel. I bought DVDs of it as a present for my wife. I don’t think we’ve ever watched them all.

At the same house I mentioned that despite being a big fan of the Carry ons (late 60s on) I hadn't seen Carry on Emmanuelle.

Somebody bought it as a surprise birthday present and I was delighted.

I had to force myself to watch it to the end.  Utter utter garbage.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, MaxTheCat said:

They started shit so in fact they have stood the test of time because they are still shit.

East Enders did but Corrie in the late early 60s was OK for the era and Emmerdale in the early 70s when Joe and Annie Sugden were the main characters. They both had a realistic feel about them.

Edited by Option5

7 minutes ago, Big Boy said:

You've included the apostrophe - which is better than they managed.

I still think "Blakes 7" is good.  Terrible sets, but very dark and with the lovely Jacqueline Pearce.

Indeed. Any show that, in the first episode, has the lead convicted of kiddy fiddling and the do Gooding SJW lawyer type executed by the state can’t be all bad.

And the moments such as the season 4 episode where Vila hides from Avon because Vila weights exactly what Avon needs to jettison from their ship in order to achieve escape velocity are dark beyond the dreams of most modern shows,

To quote:

Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: Could be looking at them.
Avon: What a very depressing thought.

Posted (edited)

Robin of Sherwood. One of my favourite series back in the day, along with Blake's 7. Neither have stood the test of time as "productions" but I still reckon they had vision/soul.

Didn't hurt that B7 had Jan Chappel and RoS had Judi Trott :x

Edited by Lightly Toasted

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

East Enders did but Corrie in the late early 60s was OK for the era and Emmerdale in the early 70s when Joe and Annie Sugden were the main characters. They both had a realistic feel about them.

No all soap operas are for the hard of thinking and therefore shit.  If you have ever enjoyed a soap opera you self select yourself into my retard category of people.  Football watching also gets you into that category.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

At the same house I mentioned that despite being a big fan of the Carry ons (late 60s on) I hadn't seen Carry on Emmanuelle.

Somebody bought it as a surprise birthday present and I was delighted.

I had to force myself to watch it to the end.  Utter utter garbage.

I was delighted at the prospect when my wife bought an all the carry ons box set as I thought at last I’d have the chance to drool over Suzanne Daniëlle in not very much clothing. I couldn’t even bear to watch it on fast forward.... I can see why that was the last one made.

1 minute ago, MaxTheCat said:

No all soap operas are for the hard of thinking and therefore shit.  If you have ever enjoyed a soap opera you self select yourself into my retard category of people.  Football watching also gets you into that category.

In fairness I was 4 when Corrie started, I haven't watched in colour. We had it on because a guy we knew wrote it, Tony Warren. I watched some of early Emerdale because my gran had it on and it coincided with my evening meal.

Drop the dead donkey. Not sure how well it’s aged but it was so topical that it was commenting on the news that had played that week. I guess that this would mean that it is not so good now. However, the satire and complete cynicism would i think travel across time. These two elements marked it out as almost prophetic imho. 

5 minutes ago, MaxTheCat said:

Don't have many mates then? 😁

20 minutes ago, MaxTheCat said:

Sport is not scripted so disagree.  If you know what's happening in advance like Biff Tannen then get down the bookies!