• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

TV That Has Aged Really Well

I'll start with the World At War, which my 18 and 20 Year Old daughters are lapping up. It really is that good.

And staying on the WW2 theme: Secret Army. Class shines through.

And that segues us into an odd one, something which I didnt get into when it came out, because for one thing I thought it was making cheap jokes at the expense of Secret Army (which it absolutely was, but hey, Im mellower now), but I watched earlier this year and enjoyed for the first time: Allo Allo.

Programmes that were set in a previous time haven't aged because they were already pre-aged:

Dad's Army, Brideshead Revisited

Programmes set in the "now" tend to age much more badly but there are exceptions:

Rising Damp, Auf Weidersehen Pet (series one and two excepting the very awkward first episode), Children of the Stones.

Posted (edited)

The original series of Connections with James Burke

I think one of the key things with it (and other similar things that may get mentioned) is there is no "political" element, lots of current TV will suffer from this as they push a political agenda which will date them terribly.

The thing with connections is it is very much made in the 1970's and you can tell that via the various backdrops but the information presented is timeless. It's still very watchable but not as a museum piece.

EDIT : Forgot to mention the two follow up series, neither as good as the first and especially the second seems dated because it did in some part root itself in the time it was made.

Edited by gilf

Using a cut-off of about 15 years....

Blakes 7 :P

Edge of Darkness with Bob Peck, Joanne Whalley, and Joe Don Baker.

Survivors

Dr Who from the start to Tom Baker's departure.

The original series of Star Trek.

Red Dwarf

A couple children's TV series: The Changes and Sky

Kenny Everett

Quatermass (1979 TV Series)

The Day of the Triffids (1981 TV Series)

The Green Wing

Cosmos (Carl Sagan)

The Flipside of Dominick Hide

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1981 TV Series)

The (New) Avengers

The Omega Factor

The Professionals

Blackadder

Not the Nine O'Clock News

The Young Ones

Funland

The League of Gentlemen

14 minutes ago, Big Boy said:

The Day of the Triffids (1981 TV Series)

That scared the living crap out of me. I would have been six or seven when it first aired.

I looked it up on YouTube ages ago and even the opening titles gave me the chills.

Red Dwarf, even though I've seen them all I can still laugh at the jokes knowing the punchline.

Lister : You ever see "The Flintstones"?

The Cat : Sure.

Lister : Do you think Wilma's sexy?

The Cat : Wilma Flintstone?

Lister : Maybe we've been alone in deep space too long but every time I see that show, her body drives me crazy. Is it me?

The Cat : I think, in all probability, Wilma Flintstone is the most desirable woman who ever lived.

Lister : That's good, I thought I was going strange.

The Cat : She's incredible.

Lister : What do you think of Betty?

The Cat : Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty... but I'd be thinking of Wilma.

Lister : This is crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?

The Cat : You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.

Lister : She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Programmes that were set in a previous time haven't aged because they were already pre-aged:

Dad's Army, Brideshead Revisited

Programmes set in the "now" tend to age much more badly but there are exceptions:

Rising Damp, Auf Weidersehen Pet (series one and two excepting the very awkward first episode), Children of the Stones.

Reggie Perrin almost works better today than in the 1970s.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Robin of Sherwood :

Episodes available on YouTube, here's the very first one :

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/robin-of-sherwood-tvs-best-interpretation-of-the-robin-hood-legend/

They should have just let it die after Praed left. It was a good ending, loosely in line with the legend. The third season with Connery just ruined it.

And never mind TVs best interpretation, it pisses all over every movie version I’ve seen too.

Edited by Melchett

3 hours ago, Option5 said:

Red Dwarf, even though I've seen them all I can still laugh at the jokes knowing the punchline.

Lister : Maybe we've been alone in deep space too long but every time I see that show, her body drives me crazy. Is it me?

The Cat : I think, in all probability, Wilma Flintstone is the most desirable woman who ever lived.

The Cat : Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty... but I'd be thinking of Wilma.

Lister : This is crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?

Have you ever seen the American pilot? Ruined that bit for me 😔

Oh and if No-one's mentioned:

Fawlty Towers

Posted (edited)

Rising damp had some excellent actors, an ensemble cast. Leonard Rossiter was in 2001 and Barry Lyndon as well as the Petomane

I watched George and Mildred and Man about the House on Dave recently both good comedy. The Sweeney is still good too.

17 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

Sorry, Tom, I disagree.

It was crap then, it is crap now.

And John Cleese is an utter cunt.

oh gawd yes you can lump it in with LIttle Britain and Ab.Fab.

Sachs, he could dish it out to the Dagos but didn't like it up him when Brand and Wossy had a pop. (I just re-watched the Interview with Andrew Sachs and he was reasonably nuanced.)

Edited by Dave Bloke

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Option5 said:

Yes Red Dwarf was brilliant.  I had a friend who loved it even more than I did.  When he was cremated last year the point at which the coffin went down it went to the theme tune of Red Dwarf blasting out of the crematoriums speakers.

Edited by MaxTheCat

11 minutes ago, MaxTheCat said:

Yes Red Dwarf was brilliant.  I had a friend who loved it even more than I did.  When he was cremated last year the point at which the coffin went down it went to the theme tune of Red Dwarf blasting out of the crematoriums speakers.

I thought it was very funny up to about the end of season 5 then jumped the worlds biggest shark. After that, every bit of it Ive seen has been utter bollocks.

Just now, Melchett said:

I thought it was very funny up to about the end of season 5 then jumped the worlds biggest shark. After that, every bit of it Ive seen has been utter bollocks.

That's when they got a bigger budget so could have bigger sets and more outside shoots. I made it different but I thought it was still good.

7 minutes ago, Melchett said:

I got to the end of season 6 before I stopped watching it.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Robin of Sherwood :

Episodes available on YouTube, here's the very first one :

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/robin-of-sherwood-tvs-best-interpretation-of-the-robin-hood-legend/

Sadly, Little John died of Covid-19.

He had no underlying health issues.

Edited by Syd Germs