• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781b

Royal Mail at breaking point ?

Recommended Posts

Not one to criticise but is anyone else having troubles with Royal Mail delivery estimates ? I understand that they are doing a great job with Christmas demand levels and social distancing operations in work place. They may also be delivering nhs items - not sure? 
 

Their website mentions some delays but no estimates but some things I purchased second class arrived in a week but still waiting for first class items and 24hr parcels a week later. Suggests to me some parts off their distribution network must be at breaking point. I feel a little bad ordering items but thinking I’m trying to keep the economy going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my invitation to file a tax return asap, however small packets a-la ebay etc are taking 10 days.

Letters seem to be delivered every other day, small packets were done on Saturday via 3 separate Royal Mail delivery rounds, first one 9 am., last one 7 pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP has summed it up pretty accurately, it's all very patchy, some areas have big backlogs in Mail Centres and Delivery Offices, other areas are managing just fine.

Got a bit frustrated with someone the other day saying that DPD, Yodel, Hermes etc don't seem to be having any serious issues, that's because they're dumping all the excess they can't cope with, especially to awkward PITA areas to deliver to on.... Royal Mail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been receiving lots of questions now about items not arriving and I'm sending everything 24 (1st class). 

Some MC are fine and some are struggling. I asked the postie collection man about it the other evening and he tells me it's busier than Christmas and across the country they've been 30% down on staff. They get full sick pay so some of obviously taken advantage of this. 

He was saying that he'd seen pictures of different sorting offices around the country and some of them are shocking, the backlog is so big. Derby is apparently terrible with the huge sac trolleys lined up. He did compare it to being as large as one of our local parking spots but I can't really express the size of that without wildly over or under estimating it. It's bloody big though and there must be thousands of items still in the system. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Royal Mail are this bad now, imagine what myHermes must be like...!!  They already smash the shit ouf of most boxes... what else can they do to them, open up the parcel and have a piss inside?

Can't fathom anyone using myHermes right now (from a seller's POV) it's just even more of a world of shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I work there, worked the nightshift last night at a big MC 

It is busier than xmas but we are not staffed up to xmas levels due to social distancing.

What iam seeing is first class and 24hr tracked being burried by newly arriving truckloads at the MC 

So 2nd class and todays inbound gets processed as it come off the lorries and what doesnt get processed gets racked for the next shift, but this usually burries the previous shifts overrun so if your stuff is in those parked yorks it can sit there for a couple days extra.

Its not right and a more than a few people have pointed it out, we do try and fish it out and rack it at the fromt but doesnt always happen.

P.s please stop ordering ridiculous stuff like bird tables, firepits & dumbell kits it's backbreaking. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Leaflets etc are only being delivered if there is other mail for that property as opposed to an entire door 2 door sweep of an area which used to be the norm.

It is to cut down of workload for the posties. 

They are seriously exhausted and taking a big risk, touching and average of 850 letterboxes and gate handles per round. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patchy.

Normal mail letters, bills etc are fine, there's a posty doing his daily rounds.

Smaller jiffy bag type things ordered from amazon are being delivered really quickly - 24 hour delivery.

Larger items - having a major problem.  Ordered some new hair clippers ... still waiting for delivery 3 fucking weeks later and on the verge of cancelling it.  Same with a load of practise tennis balls for jnr.  Ordered via amazon but posted by royal mail - pretty pissed off actually.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, JFK said:

Patchy.

Normal mail letters, bills etc are fine, there's a posty doing his daily rounds.

Smaller jiffy bag type things ordered from amazon are being delivered really quickly - 24 hour delivery.

Larger items - having a major problem.  Ordered some new hair clippers ... still waiting for delivery 3 fucking weeks later and on the verge of cancelling it.  Same with a load of practise tennis balls for jnr.  Ordered via amazon but posted by royal mail - pretty pissed off actually.

 

Thats probably an amazon problem, (maybe sat in french warehouse which are all shutdown) 

With RM you might get a couple days delay but certainly not a week or even 3 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main sorting office in Leeds now closes on a Wednesday causing problems in offices across the City. First class post takes several days.  Clients do not understand especially the over 80s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

I work there, worked the nightshift last night at a big MC 

It is busier than xmas but we are not staffed up to xmas levels due to social distancing.

What iam seeing is first class and 24hr tracked being burried by newly arriving truckloads at the MC 

So 2nd class and todays inbound gets processed as it come off the lorries and what doesnt get processed gets racked for the next shift, but this usually burries the previous shifts overrun so if your stuff is in those parked yorks it can sit there for a couple days extra.

Its not right and a more than a few people have pointed it out, we do try and fish it out and rack it at the fromt but doesnt always happen.

P.s please stop ordering ridiculous stuff like bird tables, firepits & dumbell kits it's backbreaking. 

We just had toasted marshmallows around our new firepit so thanks for that 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eBay seller- never had so many INR (item not received) cases opened against me. Business has been mental since the lockdown started, though starting to tail off now.

April 14th was the peak of sales, and most problems date from around then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Leaflets etc are only being delivered if there is other mail for that property as opposed to an entire door 2 door sweep of an area which used to be the norm.

It is to cut down of workload for the posties. 

They are seriously exhausted and taking a big risk, touching and average of 850 letterboxes and gate handles per round. 

Serious question. Have any posties died from the virus?

I would imagine sickness levels are high. Don’t blame some of them for having a rest if things are chaotic. All other jobs with paid sick leave seem to have high levels of sickness in the crisis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Serious question. Have any posties died from the virus?

I would imagine sickness levels are high. Don’t blame some of them for having a rest if things are chaotic. All other jobs with paid sick leave seem to have high levels of sickness in the crisis.

yes, 2 have died 

& there are / were 9 confirmed cases in Delivery offices around the country, those ones all had a deep clean. 

They sent away all over 70's & vulnerable to isolate on full pay for 12 weeks. 

 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WorkingPoor said:

yes, 2 have died 

& there are / were 9 confirmed cases in Delivery offices around the country, those ones all had a deep clean

Age and did they have any under lying conditions? How many posties are there in total countrywide?

How many items would you guess the average delivery office worker touches in a day? How many total employees doing that job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Age and did they have any under lying conditions? How many posties are there in total countrywide?

How many items would you guess the average delivery office worker touches in a day? How many total employees doing that job?

Too many questions.

Look here: 

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/community/viewforum.php?f=71#google_vignette

its all there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.